Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 8:47:33 PM EDT
I'm sure this comes up a lot. Just trying to explore the pros/cons of the various possibilities. Initially thought 300 BO would be best, but I just want to buy a complete upper and can't find much for a reasonable price. Plenty of 5.56 options but I can't image you'd get much out of 5.56 in a pistol barrel. Even 16" is on the bottom end.

What am I missing? Is there an ideal pistol length rifle caliber (i.e. other than 9mm or similar)?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
300bo hits full manufacturer velocity at about 9inches and has no issues with a pistol length gas. So if it is for a pistol only, go 300bo over 556. Radical firearms/PSA has them complete on the lower end$$.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I like 300 BLK for the AR pistol.  It is designed around short barrels and doesn't require non standard magazines, uppers, bolts, lowers, or other parts.  

Some complete 300BLK uppers:

http://www.shop.masdefense.com/300-AAC-Blackout_c54.htm

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies.html?upper_caliber=1357

http://www.primaryarms.com/1+Upper-Complete-Assemblies/CaliberGauge+300-BLK/MCategories+AR-15-Upper-Receivers
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. So looking at some of the options, this one is kind of what I've been thinking. Not too short, seems like decent components and steel. Good deal or keep looking?

Or this one?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:21:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. So looking at some of the options, this one is kind of what I've been thinking. Not too short, seems like decent components and steel. Good deal or keep looking?

Or this one?
View Quote
The Seekins would be a higher end upper than the Bear Creek.  Based on specs the Bear Creek is more entry level.  Its barrel is unlined phosphate not nitrided like the Seekins.   The lack of chrome lining or nitriding, is probably what keeps costs down.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I would also look at PSA they have a bunch of 8.5"  and 16" barrels. For length comparison from my testing a 8.5" will give you about 2050 fps, a 14.5" will give you about 2200 fps. So a 10.5" is going to give you very little increase over a 8.5" maybe 30-40 fps.
PSA
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Seekins would be a higher end upper than the Bear Creek.  Based on specs the Bear Creek is more entry level.  Its barrel is unlined phosphate not nitrided like the Seekins.   The lack of chrome lining or nitriding, is probably what keeps costs down.
View Quote
How would the Seekins compare to this PSA upper? The PSA doesn't have a BCG or CH, but thinking more about overall build and material quality.

I was originally thinking more the 10" barrels just because they offered a bit more handguard length and for a reloader maybe a few more options in powders such as slightly slower ones.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How would the Seekins compare to this PSA upper? The PSA doesn't have a BCG or CH, but thinking more about overall build and material quality.

I was originally thinking more the 10" barrels just because they offered a bit more handguard length and for a reloader maybe a few more options in powders such as slightly slower ones.
View Quote
Materials will be similar.  But that is only part of the equation.  QC, attention to detail, features, and workmanship are also important.  I've never used anything from PSA.  I don't know what QC measures they use.  They have a fairly solid following, though.  

That said, I build all my uppers.  It allows me to shop around, watch for deals, and select the parts I want.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top