Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2017 10:08:11 PM EDT
I have assembled 4 ar rifles.....pistols are new territory...and the 300 Blackout....I am not familiar with it.

I like the 223 round but the BO round is bigger. What is the advantage of one over the other?

Secondly, I hear stories of hangups with short barrel pistols. My other question, what is it that I should make certain for a fully functional pistol...a certain buffer weight, spring, BCG?

Again...this is new...and I cannot find an answer....

THANKS ALL!
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have assembled 4 ar rifles.....pistols are new territory...and the 300 Blackout....I am not familiar with it.

I like the 223 round but the BO round is bigger. What is the advantage of one over the other?

Secondly, I hear stories of hangups with short barrel pistols. My other question, what is it that I should make certain for a fully functional pistol...a certain buffer weight, spring, BCG?

THANKS ALL!
View Quote

300blk would be my choice, much better in a shorty than a 5.56. And I would start really well oiled, with a H buffer and G.I. spring.
See it it ejects and catches the BHO.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I did a 7.5 inch 5.56 budget build some time back. I used a cheap barrel, bcg, standard buffer and sprung and the gun was flawless. It run steel case 100% and I had zero issues with the gun. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I just built my first pistol, a 10.5 inch 5.56.   If I were going to build a pistol any shorter than that it would be a 300 BO.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going with .300 Blk on my 8.5" build.  5.56/.223 requires higher velocity than it'll get out of a pistol-length barrel to be effective.  The .300 seems to retain its effectiveness even from very short barrels.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
As mentioned 300 Blackout was designed around short barrels typical in AR pistols and SBRs, so it is a natural match.  By comparison 5.56 was designed around a 20" barrel and relies on velocity to be most effective.  Less length means less velocity.  

I was in the same boat as you deciding on caliber for my pistol build.  I chose 300 Blackout.  In the end the reduced effectiveness and reliability issues of 5.56 in short barrels was a significant factor for me, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on what the gun is for. I built a 8.5" 300 blk pistol for hog hunting the thick palmettos here in Florida and it serves the purpose perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Because 300 blackout uses mag pistol powders, it's pretty efficient out of short barrels' with 8 inches or so fairly optimum.  .223 using ball rifle powders isn't very efficient in shorter barrels.  I've got a 10.5 .223 upper with pistol gas system, runs ok function wise, but it's the dirtiest ar platform i've ever used.  I get carbon and powder fouling after 150 rounds that exceeds what i would expect to see from 400 or more rounds through a carbine length gas system with 16 in barrel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I used the KAK Mr Blonde barrell (8.5 inches) with a pistol gas system. H weight buffer and standard spring. Mill spec BCG for the most part but NIB coated. No issues with function at all. As others have stated this is what the 300 was designed for. And if you ever suppress it and run subs, that is when it really shines. If you go that route I would add an adjustable gas block and fine tune it for the can and ammo. In fact not a bad idea to start out with an adjustable gas block as it will help fine tune the gas system if you need to.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:03:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used the KAK Mr Blonde barrell (8.5 inches) with a pistol gas system. H weight buffer and standard spring. Mill spec BCG for the most part but NIB coated. No issues with function at all. As others have stated this is what the 300 was designed for. And if you ever suppress it and run subs, that is when it really shines. If you go that route I would add an adjustable gas block and fine tune it for the can and ammo. In fact not a bad idea to start out with an adjustable gas block as it will help fine tune the gas system if you need to.
View Quote
In. Been thinking about a project like this for a while now. I'd like to hear some suggestions on gas blocks to use.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

THANKS ALL!
View Quote

Cheap ammo - 556
Fun - Both
Hunting/truck gon - 300
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd only go with 300 for running suppressed. If you want a 30 bore unsuppressed go with 7.62x39. 
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top