AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When fully extended, there is maybe 1/8" movement back and fourth. There is actually a little less movement then my magpul CTR when it is fully extended without the lock engaged.

When out to the second position, that is barely any movement at all.

I am very impressed actually. I am trying to decide if I should get another one for my 9mm AR pistol or just stick with my Law folder and plain pistol tube....hmmm, decisions.

I do really like it.
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. One final question, what is the length of the brace in the three adjustment positions? Been searching the interwebs for the info and can't find it anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]
From the very back of the lower receiver it is:

6 3/4"
8"
9 3/8"
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
From the very back of the lower receiver it is:

6 3/4"
8"
9 3/8"
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like they also came out with an adjustable cheek riser?

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/maxim-defense-pistol-ar15-standard-silent-capture-p-39386.html

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks like they also came out with an adjustable cheek riser?

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/maxim-defense-pistol-ar15-standard-silent-capture-p-39386.html

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/images/Pistol%20EXC%20Check%20Weld%20CQB.jpg
View Quote
No.

That is the Maxim Defense CQB EXC Brace.  It's basically the CQB Brace... without the Brace part.

https://www.maximdefense.com/product/maxim-cqb-pistol-exc-for-ar15/
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No.

That is the Maxim Defense CQB EXC Brace.  It's basically the CQB Brace... without the Brace part.

https://www.maximdefense.com/product/maxim-cqb-pistol-exc-for-ar15/
View Quote
Yeah that is what I meant. It's an adjustable cheek rest correct? Similar to how the Thordsen is? (It isn't a brace)
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is the Maxim version if anyone is still looking for pics to compare the SBPDW and the Maxim brace. I finally broke down and got one. I knew if I got one of the SB Tactical versions I would always be wishing it collapsed shorter. 

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here is the Maxim version if anyone is still looking for pics to compare the SBPDW and the Maxim brace. I finally broke down and got one. I knew if I got one of the SB Tactical versions I would always be wishing it collapsed shorter. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/P1040663-195496.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/P1040662-195497.JPG
View Quote
When I compare my SB Tactical version to the maxim. (don't own a Maxim, so simply from looking at pictures)

Things I like about the Maxim:

1. Shorter collapsed length.
2. Looks

Things I don't like:

1. Gap in cheek rest area when extended
2. The location of sling pockets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

When I compare my SB Tactical version to the maxim. (don't own a Maxim, so simply from looking at pictures)

Things I like about the Maxim:

1. Shorter collapsed length.
2. Looks

Things I don't like:

1. Gap in cheek rest area when extended
2. The location of sling pockets.
View Quote
I don't use those sling mounts anyway. I have a D ring on the wrist strap (not pictured) for magpul MS2 or whatever clips. 

I was thinking of even cutting the "cheek rest" part off the brace because my cheek isn't that far back anyway and rests on the buffer tube as it is. 

The SB Tactical version uses a standard spring/buffer, but once the spring/buffer is installed, it doesn't matter what kind it is. It's not like most people switch out spring/buffer assemblies with their different uppers... so I don't really see that as the benefit that a lot of people suggest. If you're going to be switching uppers, the buffer/spring type won't matter as long as they are set up to run on the same weight buffer, but again, that is the case with standard or Maxim proprietary stuff. 

Literally the only thing SB's brace can offer someone over the Maxim version is price, and ~$80 difference ($240+$20 or so for the SB brace and a standard spring/buffer vs. $340 for the Maxim version including a spring/buffer) isn't that much considering that the SB is a pretty hefty compromise on features. I mean... the thing is based on a PDW stock... the point is to be as short as possible when not needed, and then just as long as necessary when needed. You could skip both and just get the [cheaper] Tailhook collapsible brace if you don't need it to be shorter than the standard carbine tube.

SB's product, and indeed the photos they released along its development, demonstrate that they were originally working with the same design as Maxim until right before the release when there was obviously some decision making about how SB was going to be able to offer basically the same product for less than Maxim. I know I was watching their FB closely and planning to buy the cheaper one from them since all photos indicated they were identical. When they were like "TA DA! Just Kidding!! It uses a standard length carbine tube!" it made a lot more sense. The compromises are played off as "features", but really the only feature is a much lower MSRP that doesn't really translate into much savings in the real world... 

I mean, if you like it, great. That's a free market. Buy what you want. But if we're being honest, most people who bought the SBPDW brace would probably buy the Maxim one if they had to do it again knowing that the Maxim can be had for less than $100 more. 
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#10]
the sb pdw fits a aero m5 and looks great
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#11]
The other consideration is that if you are going to need to play around with buffer weights going suppressed to non suppressed on a 300 build the Maxim buffers are $100. SBT, using standard buffer and spring, will cost less if you need to fine tune.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the sb pdw fits a aero m5 and looks great
View Quote
Got any pics?

I'm thinking about building an AR308 12.5" pistol off an M5 receiver set and SB BDW brace, like this (mockup):

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't use those sling mounts anyway. I have a D ring on the wrist strap (not pictured) for magpul MS2 or whatever clips. 
View Quote
Great idea!  I really hate the placement of the QD sockets on the Maxim stock and brace...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Got any pics?

I'm thinking about building an AR308 12.5" pistol off an M5 receiver set and SB BDW brace, like this (mockup):

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/ar308/ar308_pistol.jpg
View Quote
That image sprouts wood.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my SB in the other day, better quality than I expected, very little play when extended, great cheek weld. Rubber on the end is actually the perfect stiffness IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a follow on question. I found an SB Tactical PDW Brace in stock and want to get it. I have a 10.5" upper that I have on a pistol lower with the original Sig Brace. With a 10.5" upper, will the addition of the SB Tactical PDW Brace push me over the 26" OAL ruling? Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a follow on question. I found an SB Tactical PDW Brace in stock and want to get it. I have a 10.5" upper that I have on a pistol lower with the original Sig Brace. With a 10.5" upper, will the addition of the SB Tactical PDW Brace push me over the 26" OAL ruling? Thanks.

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad313/quino171/cbd6fae2-3101-40cd-abfe-7be621974aee_zpsd391dfcf.jpg
View Quote
Push you over the 26" OAL ruling?  

Unless I am missing something, there is no OAL limit on a pistol - the barrel and the OAL can be as long as you want (unless you are worried about state laws (MI, etc).

26" makes a difference on a rifle or carbine as NFA 1934 arbitrarily decided a barrel shorter than 16" makes it a short barrel rifle (and an NFA item requiring a tax stamp), and shorter than 26" on a rifle (other than a registered SBR) isn't legal as it is considered to be concealable.

If you plan on adding a vertical fore grip, and:

- the OAL is under 26", it can no longer be a pistol (since it has a vertical fore grip) but becomes an "Any Other Weapon" and requires a $5 tax stamp (and the Form 1 paperwork) under the NFA 1934; alternatively,

- if the OAL is 26" or greater, it cannot be considered a pistol (since it has a vertical fore grip) and cannot be considered to be an AOW (as at 26" or longer it is not considered to be concealable).  In this case it becomes a "firearm" and does not fall under the NFA 1934.

Somebody please clarify this if I'm incorrect.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#18]
In the shortest position, the SB PDW brace sticks out 6 3/4" past the rear of the lower receiver. Measure your current set up from front of muzzle (unless your muzzle device is perm atrached) to the rear of the lower receiver...add 6 3/4" and see where you end up over all.

I assume you are wanting to add a vertical front grip. Sorry if that isn't why you are asking.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#19]
What lower is that?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]
It is the Spartan lower from Joebobs.

I like it. I think it is made by New Frontier Arms.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Darn good point......This is why I chose the Maxim. Both products are rather similar, hard choice!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got my SB Tactical brace today and I really like it....... it makes me want to buy another lower and get the Maxim brace for the next build...... anyone know if this would work for a 7.62x39 AR pistol?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I got my SB brace yesterday.  I couldn't justify the extra $100-150 more for the Maxim.  I own a NEA stock on one of my sbr's and I will say the SB has much better cheeck weld then the NEA, Troy, etc.  I like the qd's options for the sling better on the Maxim, but I don't like the gap between the tube and cheek weld area.  The Maxim may collapse into a smaller package but to me that is only better for carrying in a bag, etc as you wouldn't want to shoot with it collapsed all the way.  

I like the advantage of being able to use a std buffer, and spring in the SB as well. I tend to swap uppers around, and if I am going across state lines I can take one of my sbr uppers off and mount it on one of my pistol lowers.  I don't want to have to mess with yet another buffer and spring that are different, and may or may not run as well with which upper I have it on.  All my sbr's and pistol lowers for now run spikes T2 buffers & springs.  Even with my adj. carriers and gas blocks I have a better chance of the weapon running with whichever upper I choose with no adj. needed.  

With all that said I would be open to buying a Maxim brace off the EE for the right price.  But I would prefer an SB brace with the a dual qd swivel portion over any other stock of this type.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got my SB brace yesterday.  I couldn't justify the extra $100-150 more for the Maxim.  I own a NEA stock on one of my sbr's and I will say the SB has much better cheeck weld then the NEA, Troy, etc.  I like the qd's options for the sling better on the Maxim, but I don't like the gap between the tube and cheek weld area.  The Maxim may collapse into a smaller package but to me that is only better for carrying in a bag, etc as you wouldn't want to shoot with it collapsed all the way.  

I like the advantage of being able to use a std buffer, and spring in the SB as well. I tend to swap uppers around, and if I am going across state lines I can take one of my sbr uppers off and mount it on one of my pistol lowers.  I don't want to have to mess with yet another buffer and spring that are different, and may or may not run as well with which upper I have it on.  All my sbr's and pistol lowers for now run spikes T2 buffers & springs.  Even with my adj. carriers and gas blocks I have a better chance of the weapon running with whichever upper I choose with no adj. needed.  

With all that said I would be open to buying a Maxim brace off the EE for the right price.  But I would prefer an SB brace with the a dual qd swivel portion over any other stock of this type.
View Quote
how much did you pay for the SB brace and how much do you think the Maxim is? Generally speaking, the difference is closer to $80. $240+$20 or so for the SB brace and a standard spring/buffer vs. $340 for the Maxim version including a spring/buffer. 
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In the shortest position, the SB PDW brace sticks out 6 3/4" past the rear of the lower receiver. Measure your current set up from front of muzzle (unless your muzzle device is perm atrached) to the rear of the lower receiver...add 6 3/4" and see where you end up over all.

I assume you are wanting to add a vertical front grip. Sorry if that isn't why you are asking.
View Quote
It does.  I was under the impression that if it was under 26" it could be "concealed carried", i.e. I could have it loaded in my car as a truck gun.  Was I misinformed?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
how much did you pay for the SB brace and how much do you think the Maxim is? Generally speaking, the difference is closer to $80. $240+$20 or so for the SB brace and a standard spring/buffer vs. $340 for the Maxim version including a spring/buffer. 
View Quote
I got the SB brace from brownells, $239.99 with $30 off Coupon + free shipping. The cheapest Maxim brace I have found with buffer & spring was $327.99 plus $7.99 shipping or $335.98 meaning $125.99 difference in price. I already had the buffer and spring, but if you needed those items it might be closer to $100 maybe slightly less.  For me the slighty shorter length didn't outweigh $100 difference and proprietary spring and buffer and the gap that I myself did not like.  Yeah I like the qd mount better but just not enough to out weight the above mentioned "cons" atleast these are "cons" in my opinion. Others opinions my differ.  I might get one eventually and if a lwrc compact stock buffer and spring would also work it will negate several so called "cons" in my book, as I am running a lwrc compact stock already. I'll have to retract one statement from ealier as one sbr an ar15 22lr is sporting a lwrc compact stock, and one is sporting the NEA stock (which gets no use as I hate the stock) and that will be replaced with another lwrc compact stock once the brownells backorder gets filled.  

What I'm calling "cons" might actually be more like pet peeves.  I just really don't like the NEA stock cheek weld.  I have another stripped lower waiting so it might be getting a Maxim brace with the right deal. I'm in no hurry thou so if a used one comes up on EE I might be all over it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It does.  I was under the impression that if it was under 26" it could be "concealed carried", i.e. I could have it loaded in my car as a truck gun.  Was I misinformed?
View Quote
[copying from your same question in other thread]

Or misunderstanding. Federally, there are no OAL restrictions on a handgun/pistol. 6" or 40" all the same. If it's 26" or more and has a VFG attached, it becomes a non-NFA "firearm", and is not to be concealed on the person.

Any other limitations would have to be by state law -- for example, what firearms and how possessed in a vehicle in VA is determined by VA.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#28]
*deleted* just noticed this was in AR15 forum.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I got the SB brace from brownells, $239.99 with $30 off Coupon + free shipping. The cheapest Maxim brace I have found with buffer & spring was $327.99 plus $7.99 shipping or $335.98 meaning $125.99 difference in price. I already had the buffer and spring, but if you needed those items it might be closer to $100 maybe slightly less.  For me the slighty shorter length didn't outweigh $100 difference and proprietary spring and buffer and the gap that I myself did not like.  Yeah I like the qd mount better but just not enough to out weight the above mentioned "cons" atleast these are "cons" in my opinion. Others opinions my differ.  I might get one eventually and if a lwrc compact stock buffer and spring would also work it will negate several so called "cons" in my book, as I am running a lwrc compact stock already. I'll have to retract one statement from ealier as one sbr an ar15 22lr is sporting a lwrc compact stock, and one is sporting the NEA stock (which gets no use as I hate the stock) and that will be replaced with another lwrc compact stock once the brownells backorder gets filled.  

What I'm calling "cons" might actually be more like pet peeves.  I just really don't like the NEA stock cheek weld.  I have another stripped lower waiting so it might be getting a Maxim brace with the right deal. I'm in no hurry thou so if a used one comes up on EE I might be all over it.
View Quote
I just found one at a prepper website for $260.  Unfortunately I have to pay a little bit more because it's the only place that I have found them in stock oh well I guess.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Lanbo Armory got 5 in about 10 mins ago. I ordered my second one.

Go!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Go!
View Quote
ON IT!  Edit:....and done!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
ON IT!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go!
ON IT!
Good luck......may the gods of internet speed be with you!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good luck......may the gods of internet speed be with you!
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up!  Got it for 215.  not I just have to get rid on my original Sig Brace.  LMAO!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Grabbed the last one.

These use a Carbine Buffer/spring, right?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:31:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Picked up mine from my LGS today at a decent price ($239.) Told him I wanted one and while his distributor showed them as being out of stock, his rep had a few on hand and sent them to him. Will be building the lower tomorrow but initial impressions are very good. Better then what I had expected, truthfully. Dealer is an NFA Class 2 dealer / manufacturer and his feedback was very positive as well. They don't do much with AR pistols, but I think this thing had him rethinking that approach and offering it as an option to customers who want to go the PDW route but are balking at the tax stamp process. Very happy with this purchase.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Will the Maxim brace work with an Adams Arms pistol set up?  I know it has a proprietary BCG.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Will the Maxim brace work with an Adams Arms pistol set up?  I know it has a proprietary BCG.
View Quote
The Maxim Defense Brace Does Not require a Proprietary BCG.

But maybe you meant the Adams Arms pistol does?

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:52:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Yea that's what I meant, sorry I didn't clarify.  The AA pistol has a proprietary BCG
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go!
And here it is!  Just need to loctite it and I am good.

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Cool......but what needs Locktight?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes, I wouldn't think you need to locktite anything on the brace install either.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes, I wouldn't think you need to locktite anything on the brace install either.
View Quote
I didn't Loctite anything..........just snugged the tube real good
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone know yet if the SB pdw brace can be retrofitted to remove the brace and install the standard stock piece like the Maxim can?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyone know yet if the SB pdw brace can be retrofitted to remove the brace and install the standard stock piece like the Maxim can?
View Quote
Yes, a Maxim stock body will slide onto a SB pdw buffer assy. How ver, their notches are a bit different. For it to operate and lock in the most forward position, a bit of matching would be needed.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top