Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2017 1:12:39 PM EDT
Hello,
 My barrel has no dimples  under gas block. Should I use a clamp on  or regular gas block? Thanks.   Tom
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the gas block going to be under a free float handguard?  If so, either will be fine.  Just use Red Loctite on the set screws.  

If it sticks out past the handguard, I'd use a clamp-on style simply because there's a potential for it to get bumped on something.  
If it is a gas block with front sight post, you should look at getting it drilled and pinned because the front sight can get hit and twist the gas block.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend the clamp style gas blocks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. Handguard is going over gas block. As long as my gas block (clamp on) will fit under handguard.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I asked Ballistic Advantage the same question and they recommended set screw over clamp for their 8" 300BLK barrel.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Get and use this, with an 11/64 drill bit and a hand drill.  Then your barrel will be dimpled and the gas block will stay put.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-gas-block-barrel-dimpler

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get and use this, with an 11/64 drill bit and a hand drill.  Then your barrel will be dimpled and the gas block will stay put.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-gas-block-barrel-dimpler

https://www.rainierarms.com/media/product/4dc/rainier-arms-gas-block-barrel-dimpler-ra-dimple-by-rainier-arms-llc-81f.jpg
View Quote

OUT OF STOCK...
Haven been for a while as are pretty much every other vendor selling these.

ETA: Clamp on
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an SLR Rifleworks dimpling jig that I  use on my barrels. It's cheaper than the Rainier Arms one and does two different spacings (.400 & .450). It's also in stock on their site, as well as JoeBobs, and other places.

SLR dimpling jig
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. Handguard is going over gas block. As long as my gas block (clamp on) will fit under handguard.
View Quote

Daniel Defense are the smallest clamp on type.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have an SLR Rifleworks dimpling jig that I  use on my barrels. It's cheaper than the Rainier Arms one and does two different spacings (.400 & .450). It's also in stock on their site, as well as JoeBobs, and other places.

SLR dimpling jig
View Quote

You sure its in stock? because it says out of stock on my screen...
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You sure its in stock? because it says out of stock on my screen...
View Quote

When I posted the link it was.

They are same price and currently in stock at the other place I mentioned

Joe Bob Outfitters
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is the gas block going to be under a free float handguard?  If so, either will be fine.  Just use Red Loctite on the set screws.  

If it sticks out past the handguard, I'd use a clamp-on style simply because there's a potential for it to get bumped on something.  
If it is a gas block with front sight post, you should look at getting it drilled and pinned because the front sight can get hit and twist the gas block.
View Quote

Military Morons test clamp gas block/front sight.

Tl;Dr version. You'll sheer you barrel index pin and deform your upper before a property installed clamp on gas block rotates.

OP I went with a SLR Sentry clamp on, couldn't be happier
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I would get one and send it to ADCO to be pinned.  I won't use a set screw or clamp on gas block.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Ive used them all over the years. If exposed, I prefer a pinned gas block.
If under the rail, a gas block with two set screws have never loosened
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:09:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I just received a gas block dimple tool from Joeboboutfitters today and did my 7.5" barrel.  It worked great.  Highly recommend this tool.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I just dimpled my first barrel.  Nothing to it.  Just take your time - no special jigs needed, but certainly could be used.

All you need is a pencil, straight edge (a piece of paper works just fine), center punch, drill bit and drill.  

Tip: The gas block and port don't necessarily line up perfectly when you put the block up against the shoulder on the barrel.  Put the block on upside down and look through the set screw hole, now just line up the holes and note how far off the shoulder you need to be for perfect fore / aft alignment.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top