User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 5:30:35 PM EDT
Anyone?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen a pistol marked lower, 2 of mine are marked multi. It can be either a pistol or a rifle as long as it is assembled first as a pistol there is no problem using it as a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh,  what? Can't say I've ever seen one marked pistol.   Conversely are there also ones marked rifle?

That's going to confuse your FFL,  as lowers are considered "other".
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
All you need is a other.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I got 2 of the Anderson Pistol marked lowers when Aim Surplus had them. I haven't seen any in stock for a while.
Aim Surplus
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never seen a pistol marked lower, 2 of mine are marked multi..
View Quote

Multi refers to caliber, a required marking on all commercially manufactured firearms.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]
It doesnt need to be marked Pistol, but I have a PWS and a RRA marked Pistol.
Rifles can never be pistols but pistols can be rifles.  AR Gender Rules.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Current rule is all lowers are considered pistol lowers aka "other"
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Current rule is all lowers are considered pistol lowers aka "other"
View Quote

All lowers are indeed "other firearm" but not all can be legally made into a pistol.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All lowers are indeed "other firearm" but not all can be legally made into a pistol.

- OS
View Quote

Never heard or seen this before. A stripped lower can be assembled as a pistol or rifle
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Never heard or seen this before. A stripped lower can be assembled as a pistol or rifle
View Quote

Not if it had first been configured as a rifle. The fact that a used lower is transferred through an FFL same as a new one as "other firearm", does not make it automagically eligible for handgun config.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not if it had first been configured as a rifle. The fact that a used lower is transferred through an FFL same as a new one as "other firearm", does not make it automagically eligible for handgun config.

- OS
View Quote

So, is there anyway I can find out if a "used lower" has ever been assembled into a rifle? From what the seller told me, it's never been assembled at all, but Caveat Emptor and all that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So, is there anyway I can find out if a "used lower" has ever been assembled into a rifle? From what the seller told me, it's never been assembled at all, but Caveat Emptor and all that.
View Quote

Some manufacturers might tell you if you call. They have to tell ATF.

I mean, it probably is just as he says, but if it's from a company that also sells or ever sold complete rifles, there's always that shadow of a doubt, eh?

Technically, even if the guy himself made it a rifle first, same thing applies, but of course no way to really ever stick you with that one.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All you need is a other.
View Quote

As I understand it, the lower must be designated a "pistol" by the manufacturer, not determined by the end user.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As I understand it, the lower must be designated a "pistol" by the manufacturer, not determined by the end user.
View Quote

You understand it wrong.

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Having "pistol" engraved on the side of your lower means absolutely nothing.  What the FFL marks on your 4473 also means absolutely nothing, they are supposed to mark any receiver as "other" though.  Whether or not the lower had a stock installed means nothing.  The only thing that matters is the configuration it was in when it was first made into a complete firearm.  So buy a new lower from an FFL and you're good to go. 

If you bought a complete lower that has a stock installed, make sure you remove the stock prior to installing the short upper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#16]
There is all the info you need in the AR Pistol Forum.

Here is a link to a pinned thread that covers this in detail.  Good luck. https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/200876_The-AR15-PISTOL-INFORMATION-THREAD----.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There is all the info you need in the AR Pistol Forum.

Here is a link to a pinned thread that covers this in detail.  Good luck. https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/200876_The-AR15-PISTOL-INFORMATION-THREAD----.html
View Quote

"If an individual were to obtain a rifle type receiver that had not
previously been utilized in the assembly of a rifle, a handgun could be
made and not be subject to the provisions of the NFA. Verification
must be obtained from the manufacturer of the receiver to establish
its authenticity."

Who must obtain the verification? Me? So if I buy a new receiver (or one for sale at a gun show) I need something in writing from the manufacturer to establish authenticity? If I do not have that and some overzealous cop/ATF agent wants to make my life difficult, do they then obtain it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Who must obtain the verification? Me? So if I buy a new receiver (or one for sale at a gun show) I need something in writing from the manufacturer to establish authenticity? If I do not have that and some overzealous cop/ATF agent wants to make my life difficult, do they then obtain it?
View Quote
You bought a new receiver that wasn't a complete rifle, that's your verification.  Seriously, no one is going to give you a hard time over an AR pistol.

That letter is from 1992 when stripped receivers weren't common at all.  Now, they're a dime a dozen, no one is going to question it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup aimsurplus.com has the cheapest Anderson pistol marked lowers.
Markings are not required to make a pistol from a virgin lower, but they will in case you need to convenience someone it is truly an AR pistol. It helps "them" believe it's truly a pistol and not a SBR.
I built one like that so I could throw it in the car loaded. My state CCW states pistol carry only.
Rifles transported in my state require the ammo and rifle be separate and the action open.
Just helps if I ever needed to have a discussion with a LEO about it. Not required but it is always nice to have it on there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"If an individual were to obtain a rifle type receiver that had not
previously been utilized in the assembly of a rifle, a handgun could be
made and not be subject to the provisions of the NFA. Verification
must be obtained from the manufacturer of the receiver to establish
its authenticity."

View Quote
That letter you took that from is very old. Back when that was written there was not the "other" checkbox on the 4473 just long gun and handgun. However, as OS states that too has nothing to really do with the legal classification. Read some of the newer letters and you'll find most state that it is legal to build a pistol provided the lower was never barreled as a rifle. That means it never meet the definition of a rifle. You can google the rifle definition, if the lower has never been able to meet every point outlined it that definition, all at the same time, then your gtg for your pistol build. Or just go the easy way and buy a new lower from a FFL and don't worry at all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#21]
A pistol lower, and a rifle lower cannot use the same bathrooms.   There has to be a special bathroom, and a safe space designated for all pistol lowers.

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Spike's used to make lowers marked "Pistol" but I think they quit when the "Other" category was added to the yellow sheet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Aero precision has pitol marked lowers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Aero precision has pitol marked lowers.
View Quote

Now you are really confusing things.....!!!!

What the hell is a "Pitol" Lower, I have never heard of that category!

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#25]
DSA
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top