Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 10:27:48 PM EDT
Interested in your shortest overall build. Guess that means which short buffer tube, buffer weight, spring will work? No brace required. If you have one that runs well, let me know what you used. Thanks, Tom S.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]
.22 with buffer tube plug is my shortest one at roughly 10 inches.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
This one's pretty short:

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 7.5" SBR ....
View Quote

This is AR pistol forum btw.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it's pretty much a personal preference thing about how and in what configuration an AR pistol should be built by any owner.  A lot of these pursuits aren't life and death.  Still, I've always wondered why the late Pat Rogers in one of his last public speaking engagements discussing AR platform issues made the rather strong statement about any 5.56 AR15 less than 10.5" was silly...or words to that effect.  I've read many discussions about AR barrel length performance, but I wish Rogers had further explained his statement.  I guess it has something to do with velocity drop or such, but I would have liked to hear it from him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#6]
To me, that's the beauty of the AR platform, configurable in a ton of different ways.

No doubt my AR 9mm pistol w/4" barrel & flash can won't make much sense compared to a Glock 17 or Beretta 92. But I can bolt any el cheapo red dot optic on my AR pistol and I can shoot useable groups at 50 yards, with a handgun I'm useless beyond 15 yards. And adding a micro red dot on a pistol slide isn't cheap or easy.

As for 5.56, yea, my opinion is that about 10" is the shortest useable length for an SBR. But my first AR pistol was a 7.62x39 w/10" barrel. it's a great set up but too nose heavy to one hand, but the short barreled 9mm can be one handed if needed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Deadfoot has the shortest tube that I know of
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The Deadfoot is interesting. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This one's pretty short:
View Quote

LOL, take off the stock and that one's small enough to carry in an ankle holster.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This one's pretty short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmZSFBy9CZ8
View Quote

honestly thats the funniest looking things ive ever seen
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top