Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2017 8:30:47 PM EDT
I purchased a stripped receiver few years ago with the intent of building a pistol. I don't remember if the dealer transferred as a pistol or rifle (bought online) does that matter? That's on the 4473. Or how can I find out if the receiver can be a pistol?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It should be marked as Other on the 4473, the FFL shouldn't have marked it as a rifle or a pistol. If they did, that is an error on their part, it does not change the classification of your lower.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It should be marked as Other on the 4473, the FFL shouldn't have marked it as a rifle or a pistol. If they did, that is an error on their part, it does not change the classification of your lower.
View Quote
 Is that true in his state?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
 Is that true in his state?
View Quote

Yes. 4473 is a federal form, same for all states.   And even in states where pistols must be registered, it ain't a pistol yet.

- OS
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. We do not have a registration system just the 4473 when purchasing. Do I need to do anything once I complete the pistol? I guess the pistol/rifle designation would come into play if I sell?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#5]
No, though it'll help out the person you sell it to if you let them know the receiver started as a receiver only, then made into a pistol first. Honestly the buyer would probably have no idea what you're talking about.

All the stuff those two guys staeted was in line with what I think I know. You've been given good info. The last thread like this there was some BS...
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like the OP bought the lower before that change in the form.  At one time there wasn't an option for "Other".  I think "Other" was added 10 years ago or so?    For those stripped lowers transferred before the change in the form, I don't know.

ETA I seem to recall FS ads in the EE here for stripped lowers that specified "transferred as a pistol".
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
It goes back to the lower being shipped from the source to the FFL as a stripped unfinished receiver. The major reason the ATF changed the form was to eliminate putting stripped lowers into rifle or pistol because it hadn't been yet constructed.

Having the FFL determine what the lower would turn into is a big delegation of authority to someone who isn't on their payroll or who they trust to make a legal interpretation. The ATF only trusts themself to make that finding according to the regulatory whim of the moment - not the FFL.

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT WAS RECORDED ON THE FORM. THE FFL AND FORM ARE NOT A LEGAL DETERMINATION. ONLY THE ATF CAN MAKE THAT DETERMINATION. NOBODY ELSE. There is no case history of the ATF prosecuting people for what an FFL put on the form in error. There IS for being a felon or indulging in marijuana.

If there is a question they will go back to the maker, the state of finished assembly it was shipped in, and then how it was received by the owner. FFL's have nothing to do with it. They just check boxes on the form and call in NICS. Which should give you a better understanding of just how useless the whole thing is.

And THAT is the reason people buy 80% lowers and pay more to get them than a finished one with serial number. It's not illegal and sidesteps the entire circus of government intervention, all of which is a restriction on your 2A rights.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sounds like the OP bought the lower before that change in the form.  At one time there wasn't an option for "Other".  I think "Other" was added 10 years ago or so?    ....
View Quote

8/2008.

- OS
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It goes back to the lower being shipped from the source to the FFL as a stripped unfinished receiver. The major reason the ATF changed the form was to eliminate putting stripped lowers into rifle or pistol because it hadn't been yet constructed.
View Quote

The main reason was the inconsistency that it could be sold to 18 year olds if one way, only to 21 year old if the other.  Now as "other" it's 21 year olds only, and must also be transferred only in recipient's state.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top