Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Skeletonized..?
View Quote

Yeah that might be the ticket. Maybe I'm wrong though. Too bad you couldn't do software renderings do you didn't have to make a ton or prototypes just to see what they look like.

Just my opinion but I like the tube part if it. And I'd like the "rudder" to be a mix of the shockwave type rudder and the new Sig brace that isn't solid. The one that almost looks like a basic Magpul stock.

I'd probably buy two if I could get that combo. Your stuff looks pretty darn close.

Truth be told though I hope Trump stomps the ATF. No offense.

Edit. Yeah, the more I look the more I really like the first version. Just a tad bigger. That's the ticket.

Once you start production send me one or two and I'll beat them up testing them for you and I will give a full review! :)
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
UPDATE: The ATF/Firearms Technology Industries Service Branch just responded to my inquiry. They are requesting that I submit a physical sample in order to receive/obtain a classification.  We should have their decision/classification within the next few weeks.
View Quote

Any new info on this yet?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: ...Any new info on this yet?
View Quote

None. When I first wrote the BATF I included photos of the Cheek Rest mounted on the Pistol. I also included multiple photos of the CR framed to show exact dimensions.

I received a response from the BATF within a week stating that they would not be able to make a decision on classification until I provided a sample for a hands-on in examination/inspection. They also advised that it would probably take 90-120 days before they could examine the sample. So, maybe not till May..?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As far as pistols are concerned, you could use a milspec adjustable M4 tube. The reason "pistol" diameter tubes sell is for guys like me who can then prevent someone from just shoving a stock on it to create an issue.

As for the thin blade hanging down, as far as it being a shoulder rest  the thinner you make it the more uncomfortable. So, why not just shoot nose to the charging handle and brace forward to keep the minor recoil from bothering you?

I've seen dozens of braces/cheek rests/whatever in this forum for years now, but rarely if ever a sling set up to keep recoil at a minimum bracing the weapon forward. I've read dozens of posts arguing VFG's and how much vertical slant and projection will trip the ATF's radar, but almost zilch on how to attach the sling to the front of the handguard and use IT for a forward stop. (And yeah I do recognize some would immediately think vertical forward grip. Well take it up with the ATF and write them a letter. )

We are still thinking of the ATF as the enemy when the real enemy is a lack of imagination to address the problem of stabilizing the sight picture with no stock held to the shoulder. Since the invention of the Brace it's been one copycat after another and most aren't successful in getting approval. And that is because the obvious intent is to circumvent their ruling and hold it up to your shoulder.

Why even bother? You have to cramp your head down to the sight line and there's no significant recoil anyway. It's not a .308 that can give you a case of scope eye, it's 5.56 and you can shoot it with the butt held to your chin. Seen it, done it. No big deal. They even marketed a jaw rest at one time.

BTW - building up the tube for a cheek rest? After about 1/2" it interferes with the charging handle and the average sight plane starts going over the sights. Cheek rests may be needed for large belled scopes propped up on high mounts, but for the natural eye alignment not so much.

And that is the way the ATF might see it - after all, they have inspectors who have looked at this stuff for decades and for the most part, it's all a dodge to circumvent what the pistol is and effectively make it an SBR - which they have repeatedly said they will see it as.

The ATF isn't the enemy, we are our own worst enemy. We keep trying to poke the bear and do it long enough you get things like the Brace Letter which states "it's a stock and just don't bother us about it." If we took as much effort supporting the revocation of the '34 NFA it would likely have been dismantled long ago, but no, we waste time working around it instead of attacking it directly. And if we did, the word would get out how stupid it all is instead of looking less than smart trying to play footsie with the ATF and get our special favor anointed.

Good luck on that faux shoulder stock attachment. Maybe it will pass their scrutiny. If so, you actually have a much bigger obstacle, bringing it to market and getting some profit out of it. Not to forget that 95% of all new business ventures fail in the first 10 years.

Will the NFA still exist in 10 years? If it's take out of the law - end of the Brace business. They will be curios of a long ago time.
View Quote

Wut???

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I recently built my first AR Pistol and I had a lot of fun putting it together. It's an econo build so some of the components were either purchased used, or on ebay. The pistol buffer tube that I purchased is milspec and it came with the foam cover. The foam cover is too thick and it creates a higher LOS that I'm not comfortable with,.. so I walked over to the drawing board.

The photos shows the pistol with the pistol buffer tube/foam cover. The second shows my cheek rest slipped on the pistol buffer tube. I made the cheek rest with a decorative thin rudder.  

Does the design of my cheek rest violate current ATF regulations when mounted onto the pistol tube on a AR Pistol ..?

With my homemade Cheek Rest..:
View Quote

That's an arm brace not just a cheek rest. You are a bad hombre.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

None. When I first wrote the BATF I included photos of the Cheek Rest mounted on the Pistol. I also included multiple photos of the CR framed to show exact dimensions.

I received a response from the BATF within a week stating that they would not be able to make a decision on classification until I provided a sample for a hands-on in examination/inspection. They also advised that it would probably take 90-120 days before they could examine the sample. So, maybe not till May..?
View Quote

Did you send it to the FATD? Wonder what else they're doing with their time that would tie them up for that long LOL
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like to know more about the barrel, muzzle device and hand guard combination.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The ability to take nice pictures has always alluded me.

Not you, those are nice pictures. What is the background material?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The ability to take nice pictures has always alluded me.

Not you, those are nice pictures. What is the background material?
View Quote

I can't answer for OP but our local art supply store has these giant white poster sheets that i have used before to take nice pictures. They're great since they don't wrinkle like a normal piece of fabric though they're kind of a pain in the ass to store.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I can't answer for OP but our local art supply store has these giant white poster sheets that i have used before to take nice pictures. They're great since they don't wrinkle like a normal piece of fabric though they're kind of a pain in the ass to store.
View Quote

On the Nosey..! You can find the sheets at wally world or your nearest thrift store, for under a buck.  Natural (filtered) lighting is your best friend. :)

Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Not to take away highjack or "anything" from OP's post but i have a question:

My question is, can you legally shoulder a buffer tube on a  AR pistol without a brace ?

Because If you moved OP's "cheek rest" design forward on the tube an inch or two. There would be no cheek rest, brace/shoulder etc
contact.

Would that be legal ?

Nice looking work and idea OP !
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not to take away highjack or "anything" from OP's post but i have a question:

My question is, can you legally shoulder a buffer tube on a  AR pistol without a brace ?

Because If you moved OP's "cheek rest" design forward on the tube an inch or two. There would be no cheek rest, brace/shoulder etc
contact.

Would that be legal ?

Nice looking work and idea OP !
View Quote

Can you legally drive 10 MPH over the posted speed limit? Have you ever, and do you get caught every time? Or, do you write a letter and ask in what scenarios can you drive over the posted speed limit?

I hate sounding like this but the ATF rules are Fed up. People just need to keep to themselves, you do your thing, ill do mine,  don't be an idiot about it and post pictures and write stupid letters.

I like it OP. I am also a kydex bender and will be making a stock, er.. brace this weekend for my "pistol".
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#15]
LOS, any word back from ATF? When did they get your cheek rest in?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LOS, any word back from ATF? When did they get your cheek rest in?
View Quote
Not a peep. I don't anticipate a response until early part of May. Fingers and toes crossed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#17]
When did they receive it? I remember reading somewhere how alex bosco got his response within like 2 weeks, which is why it surprises me that they're taking 90 days now....
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks kind of like a CAR-15 stock...I like it, enough to consider buying one once ATF approval comes back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Man this looks awesome. With the rivet holes in different areas I bet you could make some sweet parachord designs.

I'm looking at building a pistol soon and would be cool to make my own cheek rest. How do you get the kydex to stay on the tube? Is it just tight enough the friction keeps it on?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Man this looks awesome. With the rivet holes in different areas I bet you could make some sweet parachord designs.

I'm looking at building a pistol soon and would be cool to make my own cheek rest. How do you get the kydex to stay on the tube? Is it just tight enough the friction keeps it on?
View Quote
Thanks. I like your paracord idea..!

The cheek rest(s) mounts on the tube without excessive play, then it tightens real good with a binding post/screw.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The cheek rest(s) mounts on the tube without excessive play, then it tightens real good with a binding post/screw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh gotcha. So that one actual screw is tight enough that it keeps everything from moving? When I make mine I might try a parachord design and send you a picture.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oh gotcha. So that one actual screw is tight enough that it keeps everything from moving? When I make mine I might try a parachord design and send you a picture.
View Quote
Correct. The CR already has a nice snug fit but the screw creates additional security.  I'm looking forward to seeing your design.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Correct. The CR already has a nice snug fit but the screw creates additional security.  I'm looking forward to seeing your design.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might be a wee bit because I've never used kydex before but I can't wait to do it. Any tips on that?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It might be a wee bit because I've never used kydex before but I can't wait to do it. Any tips on that?
View Quote
Expect to make mistakes so purchase a few extra sheets of kydex. I don't use a mini oven to heat kydex, I use a heat gun. For me it works very good and it heats kydex 4 times faster.

A good set of tin snips will work well to cut the kydex, and a dremel tool with a sanding drum/polishing tip can be used to trim excess material and provide a smooth finished edge.  

You'll probably have to invest in a good tool if you decide to use eyelets for connecting kydex parts together. Connecting/assembling the parts with glue and eyelets will create a solid final product.

Finally, I use graph paper to design different models/shapes to actual scale. If I like the design, I trace it on the kydex and begin the fab process. Take your time, specially when you start cutting and trimming the kydex. You will make mistakes, but don't let it discourage you...
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Expect to make mistakes so purchase a few extra sheets of kydex. I don't use a mini oven to heat kydex, I use a heat gun. For me it works very good and it heats kydex 4 times faster.

A good set of tin snips will work well to cut the kydex, and a dremel tool with a sanding drum/polishing tip can be used to trim excess material and provide a smooth finished edge.  

You'll probably have to invest in a good tool if you decide to use eyelets for connecting kydex parts together. Connecting/assembling the parts with glue and eyelets will create a solid final product.

Finally, I use graph paper to design different models/shapes to actual scale. If I like the design, I trace it on the kydex and begin the fab process. Take your time, specially when you start cutting and trimming the kydex. You will make mistakes, but don't let it discourage you...
View Quote
Awesome thanks!! I really can't wait to do this now! Keep us updated on the ATF ruling as well. You're doing great work!
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Still no word from ATF? It's been what, 4 months now right?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's a Cheek Rest.  The rudder is thinner and much smaller than the one on the Shockwave Blade.
View Quote
But theirs is approved.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As far as pistols are concerned, you could use a milspec adjustable M4 tube. The reason "pistol" diameter tubes sell is for guys like me who can then prevent someone from just shoving a stock on it to create an issue.

As for the thin blade hanging down, as far as it being a shoulder rest  the thinner you make it the more uncomfortable. So, why not just shoot nose to the charging handle and brace forward to keep the minor recoil from bothering you?

I've seen dozens of braces/cheek rests/whatever in this forum for years now, but rarely if ever a sling set up to keep recoil at a minimum bracing the weapon forward. I've read dozens of posts arguing VFG's and how much vertical slant and projection will trip the ATF's radar, but almost zilch on how to attach the sling to the front of the handguard and use IT for a forward stop. (And yeah I do recognize some would immediately think vertical forward grip. Well take it up with the ATF and write them a letter. )

We are still thinking of the ATF as the enemy when the real enemy is a lack of imagination to address the problem of stabilizing the sight picture with no stock held to the shoulder. Since the invention of the Brace it's been one copycat after another and most aren't successful in getting approval. And that is because the obvious intent is to circumvent their ruling and hold it up to your shoulder.

Why even bother? You have to cramp your head down to the sight line and there's no significant recoil anyway. It's not a .308 that can give you a case of scope eye, it's 5.56 and you can shoot it with the butt held to your chin. Seen it, done it. No big deal. They even marketed a jaw rest at one time.

BTW - building up the tube for a cheek rest? After about 1/2" it interferes with the charging handle and the average sight plane starts going over the sights. Cheek rests may be needed for large belled scopes propped up on high mounts, but for the natural eye alignment not so much.

And that is the way the ATF might see it - after all, they have inspectors who have looked at this stuff for decades and for the most part, it's all a dodge to circumvent what the pistol is and effectively make it an SBR - which they have repeatedly said they will see it as.

The ATF isn't the enemy, we are our own worst enemy. We keep trying to poke the bear and do it long enough you get things like the Brace Letter which states "it's a stock and just don't bother us about it." If we took as much effort supporting the revocation of the '34 NFA it would likely have been dismantled long ago, but no, we waste time working around it instead of attacking it directly. And if we did, the word would get out how stupid it all is instead of looking less than smart trying to play footsie with the ATF and get our special favor anointed.

Good luck on that faux shoulder stock attachment. Maybe it will pass their scrutiny. If so, you actually have a much bigger obstacle, bringing it to market and getting some profit out of it. Not to forget that 95% of all new business ventures fail in the first 10 years.

Will the NFA still exist in 10 years? If it's take out of the law - end of the Brace business. They will be curios of a long ago time.
View Quote
No one I know runs an AR pistol. But I've often wondered why I don't hear about people doing just that, using an M4 tube and throwing on a stock. OR someone building a stock that slides over the tube that's easily removable and marketed as a novelty item or airsoft or something much like they do with car/truck stuff to defeat the epa.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Still no word from ATF? It's been what, 4 months now right?
View Quote
It's only been about 63 days. The projected time frame for review is between 90-120 days.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh, I was under the impression you sent them the letter near the start of this thread. Welp.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh, I was under the impression you sent them the letter near the start of this thread. Welp.
View Quote
I did, and it took a while to receive a reply. Their reply had instructions to submit a sample (final production prototype), which I did.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's a pic of the Bravo CR~[protoype].

The body is made with thinner material but the neoprene pad is thicker and softer.  This set up works well because the OD of the cheek rest still provides enough clearance for racking the charging handle.

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:21:02 AM EDT
[#33]
What's that material you used for the cheek weld? Any good?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What's that material you used for the cheek weld? Any good?
View Quote
It's 100% neoprene (scuba diving material). It's non-slip surface is perfect for establishing a solid cheek. Even with sweaty checks. :)
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I like it a lot, but I am a sucker for using kydex.
I may be the odd man out but I think its a ridiculous waste of money to go SBR. I have rifles if I need them, cant conceal them or carry loaded so they don't work for me for everyday use. I can take my AR pistol everywhere and I don't have any issues firing from my cheek and hitting a target
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's only been about 63 days. The projected time frame for review is between 90-120 days.
View Quote
Any word?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Guessing OP hasn't heard back from them
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top