Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2016 4:44:56 PM EDT
Well now that I have a build going. I have more questions. I'm really interested and want to know a bit more about AFG's and Hand Stops.

What do you guys prefer and why? Hand Stops or AFG's?

What are some good options (brands) for both AFG's and Hand Stops? Something that wont break the bank. I watched a video on YouTube and a guy picked one up on Amazon that was $10 bucks but Amazon no longer carries it.

I noticed that a lot of the AFG's are mounted a bit more forward and close to the muzzle. Is it a bit more comfortable to have it located that far forward? I have never used them and I am really learning as I go.

My pistol barrel is 7.5". Do they make both an AFG and Hand Stop together?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you guys prefer and why? Hand Stops or AFG's?
View Quote

none

my pistol also has a 7.5 in. barrel,   I use what is already there, by placing my non-firing  hand around the front of the mag well.

as for why? it works for me without having to buy and attach a needless accesory to the pistol.

Do they make both an AFG and Hand Stop together?
View Quote

oh,  I'm sure they do, they make a lot of other useless attachments to the AR.  so why not this?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an AFG, then went to a Cobra afg.
The Cobra had a little less angle.
Now nothing.
Just never got comfortable with my hand at an angle.

With a light mounted it acts as my handstop.

I removed my VFG from my rifle too so maybe I'm not one to ask.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
For me, it depends on the gun.

I am running an AFG on my issue BII & CQBR.

I use handstops (Gear Sector) on my 9mm SBR.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

none

my pistol also has a 7.5 in. barrel,   I use what is already there, by placing my non-firing  hand around the front of the mag well.

as for why? it works for me without having to buy and attach a needless accesory to the pistol.

oh,  I'm sure they do, they make a lot of other useless attachments to the AR.  so why not this?
View Quote

I also just grip the front of the mag well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. I also shoot my rifles gripping the front of the receiver. Most of the time. Depends on how long I am shooting. I thought that maybe the AFG would make the pistol more comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I do thisAFG Combo

And this Mag Well
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I do thisAFG Combo

And this Mag Well
View Quote

Interesting. I will check those out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the KAC hand stop and it's never a good idea to hold the magwell while shooting if you value your fingers.  All it takes is one kaboom and you maybe missing a digit or two with a magwell grip.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I prefer the KAC hand stop and it's never a good idea to hold the magwell while shooting if you value your fingers.  All it takes is one kaboom and you maybe missing a digit or two with a magwell grip.
View Quote

That is a good point and one I did not think about. I have seen AR's blow and the pressure goes right through that area. It didn't dawn in me until you said something.

AFG back on the list to get a bit sooner.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#10]
For a pistol/rifle 10" or so I like the Magpul XTR handstop kit a lot. I use a RailScales Karve on my 16" build and like it better for a longer handguard.

Personally, I don't run anything on a barrel under 9" or so because I just can't get comfortable with it. I just finished up a 8.5" 300 build and just grip the rail at the end of it, I have some RailScale panels coming in the mail for it so that I can have some grip on it plus it will give me an index point without adding bulk or having to change the angle of my wrist.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I put an AFG and Handstop M-lok Magpul together, used the Handstop as a thumb rest with the AFG.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I had AFGs on mine, but now I much prefer a hand stop, or well I guess it's the BCM KAG which is kind of a cross between and AFG and a handstop, I also use Magpul XTM handstop on another.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't run an AFG on my 14.5 or 16's but I do prefer it on my pistol. I didn't want to use it but when I took it off, it wasn't nearly as comfortable to grip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I put an AFG and Handstop M-lok Magpul together, used the Handstop as a thumb rest with the AFG.
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r677/Walksouth/IMG_0541_zpsuclymfwp.jpg
View Quote

Airsoft store employee: "How can I help you?"

"Give me one of everything."
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r677/Walksouth/IMG_0541_zpsuclymfwp.jpg
View Quote

What MLOK covers are those between the magpul ones?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I run an IWC handstop. I think it's necessary with a 5.5" barrel and 4" handguard.

Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#17]
couple real quick notes from my experience. I'm sure there are others with more experience than me here, but
1. mag well grip although good can be a problem if you have a chamber blow for some reason. Had a friend that had just moved his hand when he had a blow from double powdered factory load. the pressure tends to blow the down and out the mag well. would have really scrapped his hand.
2. AFG - kinda useless kinda not. Yea it's extra stuff on the rifle, but on a pistol if you put a small stop forward like a MI or something like that it helps take the recoil since you have nothing on your shoulder if you firing is by the ATF rules. That is mounted in front of my non firing hand and pushes back into my hand some.  The angled grips are ok for a better feel of control on the barrel especially if you shooting elbows in.
Again just my $.02 I'm sure there are way more with real experience on here that can give a better light.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I've always preferred the Magpul AFG, and now AFG2 for all my pistol and rifle builds, but I tend to hold it in a non traditional way.  By putting my middle finger through the hole in the grip, it gives a mini vertical grip feel, and has a lot of stability with a wrist position that is very comfortable for me.  I'd suggest anyone who has access to an AFG try this out, I've had success with it on everything from a 14.5 carbine to my scorpion pistol.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've always preferred the Magpul AFG, and now AFG2 for all my pistol and rifle builds, but I tend to hold it in a non traditional way.  By putting my middle finger through the hole in the grip, it gives a mini vertical grip feel, and has a lot of stability with a wrist position that is very comfortable for me.  I'd suggest anyone who has access to an AFG try this out, I've had success with it on everything from a 14.5 carbine to my scorpion pistol.
View Quote

My fingers are too big too fit :(
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Generally frowned on top grab the mag well.

I tried hand stops. Didn't like, so tired an AFG. They are as good as they say.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What MLOK covers are those between the magpul ones?
View Quote

The Strike Industries FDE M-lok covers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:58:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My fingers are too big too fit :(
View Quote

I won't deny having little bird bones, but this is the type of grip I mentioned, and there's still plenty of room.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lKPuM

Just wanted to clarify since there wasn't a chance for pics on my first post.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#23]
AFG only because stupid ATF, which hopefully Trump destroys, says no to VFG's.

VFG's are gods gift to the firearm world IMO.

*poster has issues with wrist and elbow*
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I think it depends on your grip style, those who want their support hand as far forward or those who use an over/under grip use a stop. Those who want to grip closer to the magwell use AFGs & vertical grips.

I prefer a magwell grip and run Fab Defense magwell grips on all my ARs including my pistols. My CZ Scorpion sports a Stark angled grip and the factory hand stop, if my grip were to slip for any reason it's there to keep my fingers from getting in front of that 8" barrel. I may put a hand stop on my 9mm AR pistol as well, it's got a 4" barrel and flash can.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top