Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 2:38:17 PM EDT
Well, the title says it all. The birth of Frankenstein has begun. A friend of mine built a pistol a few months back. The two of us talked about that build and advantages of having one added to our collection. I started doing some research and I wanted to either buy or build one and not be into with an insane amount of money. If the pistol build turns out to be something I really like I will build another and do some crazier things with it. It is also a way of me testing the water of going into the SBR world.

I have been building retro rifles the last year. I started with one and ended up collecting parts to build seven complete rifles. I also somehow added another M4 build to the mix. While collecting parts I miss counted and ordered an extra lower and BCG with charging handle. Whoops . So what to do with the extra parts. Pistol build of course.

My parts list -
Anderson lower receiver.
BCG (Bought from AIM's Surplus not sure of the brand).
Anderson charging handle.
MagPul MBus Front sight.
MagPul MBus Rear sight.
KAK Shockwave brace kit

The lower parts kit I am thinking about going with a PSA MagPul MOE. I like those and have had good luck with them. I see they have free shipping on them right now but I am waiting to see if they go on sale. This is a budget build. I was going to go with a DPMS LPK but I'm not a fan of the A2 grip. To change it out would have came to the same cost as just buying the PSA. I still have some time. So I will keep an eye out for a good deal on an LPK. I wish I could find the Anderson LPK's for the price I paid six months ago. $35.99 and free shipping.

The upper is a Diamondback 7.5" barrel. It is a mix of both a picatinny rail and keymod. I thought it might be the best of both worlds. Something to learn more about as I get into the pistol world. I have always kept my AR's simple. I used the KISS rule.

So with that said here is the details of the upper I bought from Diamondback.
7.5" 5.56 UPPER RECIEVER WITH 6" RAIL, BLACK

DB15 7.5" BARREL, 1/9 TWIST
   DB15P 6" PISTOL BLACK HANDGUARD
   DB15 BARREL NUT
   DB15 JAM NUT
   DB15 FORWARD ASSIST ASSEMBLY, INCLUDES PAWL, BUTTON, PAWL ROLL PIN, PAWL SPRING & PAWL DETENT
   DB15 BLACK UPPER RECEIVER
   DB15 EJECTION PORT COVER SPRING
   DB15 EJECTION PORT COVER
   DB15 EJECTION PIN SUB-ASSEMBLY
   DB15 LOW PROFILE GAS BLOCK
   DB15 GAS BLOCK ROLL PIN (5/64"(.078) X 5/16")
   DB15 KNURLED SET SCREWS FOR GAS BLOCK
   DB15 CRUSH WASHER, GRADE 1215 CARBON STEEL
   DB15 FLASH HIDER, 5.56 A2 STYLE
   DB15P PISTOL LENGTH GAS TUBES

So there are the details as of now on Frankenstein. My total build cost will be $555. It might end up being a little less if I find an LPK at a good deal. Once I have it all together I will post pics. I might post some pics of the parts once everything is in.

What do you think?

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a good list, should make a good pistol. I would only change one thing......

Add this Muzzle Device

When they are back in stock that is. Linear Comp is good to run on AR pistols.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a good list, should make a good pistol. I would only change one thing......

Add this Muzzle Device

When they are back in stock that is. Linear Comp is good to run on AR pistols.
View Quote

Thanks! I was going to ask about muzzle devices. I get a bit lost in what to use.

How does this one do with flash? Does it cut down on sound? Tell me more about it. I will also look for YouTube videos.

While I am on it. The angled hand grips or whatever they are called. What are some of the best options? I think I have seen MagPul versions but have not checked into it much.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
So Linear Comps do not reduce flash (they in most cases increase it in the "fireball" effect). They also do not reduce the noise. What they do is re-direct blast and sound down range away from the shooter. But don't just go with what I say, try out your AR Pistol with the basic A2 Comp and you will see what Im talking about. The Damage Inc one I linked before is the lowest cost one I have found. Others are the Kaw Valley Linear Comp, SAA Dragon's Head Gen1, KAK Industries Comp, Midwest Industries Blast Diverter and the Troy Claymore. There are others also at a bit higher of a cost. My AR pistols have the Kaw Valley Linear Comp and the SAA Dragon's Head (both are around 50$). The Damage Inc is the lowest cost, then the KAK and Midwest Industries are next at around 25$-30$ each. There are other Comps and muzzle devices that reduce flash or blast, but I've never used any of them with an AR pistol.

AFGs (Angled ForeGrips) are something I like to put on my AR Pistols. I only use the FAB Defense PTK\VTS combo, but there are others from Magpul, Strike Industries and others. AFGs are a good option (if you like how they feel) next to hand-stop set ups. Remember any kind of VFG (Vertical ForeGrip) is a no go for an AR pistol under 26 inches in overall length (that is from the end of barrel without muzzle device to the end of the buffer tube without any brace or other). If you make a AR pistol 26 inches (OAL=overall length) or longer and you add a VFG, the pistol then becomes a "firearm" and can not be concealed. When it comes down to AFGs, make sure you do your research (the ATF letters section here in "AR Pistols" is a good spot for that) and know what can\can't be used.

My AR (ARAK-21) pistol

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is my "Spare Parts Box" build I made. The upper (PSA 11.5 inch) was the only part that I did not have in the spare parts bin (the rail on the upper was in the parts bin also).
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So Linear Comps do not reduce flash (they in most cases increase it in the "fireball" effect). They also do not reduce the noise. What they do is re-direct blast and sound down range away from the shooter. But don't just go with what I say, try out your AR Pistol with the basic A2 Comp and you will see what Im talking about. The Damage Inc one I linked before is the lowest cost one I have found. Others are the Kaw Valley Linear Comp, SAA Dragon's Head Gen1, KAK Industries Comp, Midwest Industries Blast Diverter and the Troy Claymore. There are others also at a bit higher of a cost. My AR pistols have the Kaw Valley Linear Comp and the SAA Dragon's Head (both are around 50$). The Damage Inc is the lowest cost, then the KAK and Midwest Industries are next at around 25$-30$ each. There are other Comps and muzzle devices that reduce flash or blast, but I've never used any of them with an AR pistol.

AFGs (Angled ForeGrips) are something I like to put on my AR Pistols. I only use the FAB Defense PTK\VTS combo, but there are others from Magpul, Strike Industries and others. AFGs are a good option (if you like how they feel) next to hand-stop set ups. Remember any kind of VFG (Vertical ForeGrip) is a no go for an AR pistol under 26 inches in overall length (that is from the end of barrel without muzzle device to the end of the buffer tube without any brace or other). If you make a AR pistol 26 inches (OAL=overall length) or longer and you add a VFG, the pistol then becomes a "firearm" and can not be concealed. When it comes down to AFGs, make sure you do your research (the ATF letters section here in "AR Pistols" is a good spot for that) and know what can\can't be used.

My AR (ARAK-21) pistol
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r677/Walksouth/IMG_0473_zpsssujtgzr.jpg
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r677/Walksouth/IMG_0474_zpswxxi6hrb.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My AR (ARAK-21) pistol
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r677/Walksouth/IMG_0473_zpsssujtgzr.jpg
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r677/Walksouth/IMG_0474_zpswxxi6hrb.jpg

Great looking pistil and thank you for that info. I know that I can't put a forward grip on a pistol. I was one of the first things I checked into. I wish we could do that. I will check into AFG's and see what style I like. The rail that I have on my upper is a 6" rail. Are AFG's all the same size? I think the ones I have seen the most are MagPul. I will do some more research on that and just see what one I like the looks of and what might give me a better grip when firing and go with it.

I do like that Comp you linked me to. I will have to get one. I think that is fairly priced. How much length does it add to the pistol? I will try out the A2 flash hider first and see how I like it. I'm sure I will want to add something to push it down range a bit more.

Quoted:
Here is my "Spare Parts Box" build I made. The upper (PSA 11.5 inch) was the only part that I did not have in the spare parts bin (the rail on the upper was in the parts bin also).
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r677/Walksouth/IMG_0480_zpsazfgxdxz.jpg

Spare parts builds are kind of fun builds. This is the first time I have done this and run into this problem of having extra parts. The retro stuff was all scratch built. I had to find parts here and there and I just ended up miss counting a couple of things and having extra parts. It worked out lol.

Also, great looking pistol.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know that I can't put a forward grip on a pistol. I was one of the first things I checked into. I wish we could do that.
View Quote

Not with your 7.5" barrel, but with a 10.3" or more and a buffer tube like the KAK Super, you can. But then, it's temporarily not a pistol anymore, so your statement is correct in that connotation I reckon.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I think he is talking about an AFG OS, but good looking out!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you. When I first started this journey I thought I could use a grip like on the rifles. I know now I can't. I can use and AFG. I will look to get one of those and a single point sling. I also want to add a light but not sure where to mount it yet just yet. I saw a rail attachment that moounts on the top and Haga to the side. I like that idea.

I will wait until I shoot it and see what I want to add. I want to get a red dot of some sort. I want to be able to move the red dot from one gun to the other. I also want one that won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think he is talking about an AFG OS, but good looking out!
View Quote

He said "I know that I can't put a forward grip on a pistol."

My point was simply that you can put any forward grip on a pistol you like, including a vertical one, if the pistol is 26" or more in overall length. Though then it becomes a "firearm" rather than a "handgun".

- OS
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I received the upper today and man! I am in love with it. It is really short and exactly what I wanted. This is going to be a fun build. Diamondback was very quick in shipping. The upper wasn't supposed to be here until tomorrow.

I will take a few pics once everything comes in and I can spread it out and get the parts in order. I also want to inspect the upper a bit more.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I just realized that I have not posted pics. I picked up the pistol today from the shop. It is super short and I am in love! Frankenstein is going to be a keeper. In fact I think I might want to build another one at some point.

I do want to add a sling adapter later. I can't wait to get this to the range and try it out. I really like the KAK Shock Wave brace.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I just added a pic of Frankenstein and I have to tell you this is becoming my favorite firearm.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I like your build. It pleases my eyeballs. Another linear comp that hasn't been mentioned is the Black River Tactical Covert Comp. I have it on my pistol build and love it. Adds virtually no weight/length over an a2 and does what its supposed to very well. I also think the fluted version looks nice.

Also another angled grip to consider is the Strike Industries Cobra Foregrip. I like how it incorporates a stop on the front for propping up against cover and to keep your hands away from the muzzle.

Pic of my pistol setup

7.5" Andro Corp. Industries upper and BCG
Black River Tactical Covert Compensator
Daniel Defense Fixed Sights
Strike Industries Cobra Foregrip
Daniel Defense grip w/integrated trigger guard
Thordsen cheek rest kit
Damage Industries enhanced buffer spring
Anderson Lower
ALG ACT trigger w/purple spring
PSA LPK
KNS pins
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like your build. It pleases my eyeballs. Another linear comp that hasn't been mentioned is the Black River Tactical Covert Comp. I have it on my pistol build and love it. Adds virtually no weight/length over an a2 and does what its supposed to very well. I also think the fluted version looks nice.

Also another angled grip to consider is the Strike Industries Cobra Foregrip. I like how it incorporates a stop on the front for propping up against cover and to keep your hands away from the muzzle.

Pic of my pistol setup
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb412/SM0KESCREEN/Mobile%20Uploads/20170118_181546_zpsr8650ohj.jpg
Thordsen cheek rest kit
Anderson Lower
PSA LPK
KNS pins
View Quote

This is a sexy looking pistol every time I see it.  I'm starting a pistol build soon.  How do you like the DD Grip?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:10:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pic of my pistol setup
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb412/SM0KESCREEN/Mobile%20Uploads/20170118_181546_zpsr8650ohj.jpg
Thordsen cheek rest kit
Anderson Lower
PSA LPK
KNS pins
View Quote

Great looking pistol! It is funny that you bring up the the Strike Industries Cobra foregrip. I ran into a video today that had a Strike Industries AFG. I think its made for the keymod. I love that one. I went to their sight and saw the Cobra. I was impressed. I looked over a few videos and I like what I am seeing.

Have you owned both MagPul and the Cobra? What one do you like the most?

This is the first rail I have ever owned on any of my guns. I have no clue what to look for and what I can and can't use. So I am all ears on this.

I forgot to add, I like that flashhider. I might have to look into that one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is a sexy looking pistol every time I see it.  I'm starting a pistol build soon.  How do you like the DD Grip?
View Quote

Thank you. I love it. I think the grip angle is perfect. The rubber overmold/pattern on the grip is just right for me. I picked one up in a LGS, felt it, and knew it was for me. You also don't have to install/purchase a separate trigger guard... Eliminating the risk of breaking the ear on the lower during install is nice too. I'm kinda on the fence about the aesthetics of the rest of DD's line of furniture, but the grip isn't too over the top imho.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Great looking pistol! It is funny that you bring up the the Strike Industries Cobra foregrip. I ran into a video today that had a Strike Industries AFG. I think its made for the keymod. I love that one. I went to their sight and saw the Cobra. I was impressed. I looked over a few videos and I like what I am seeing.

Have you owned both MagPul and the Cobra? What one do you like the most?

This is the first rail I have ever owned on any of my guns. I have no clue what to look for and what I can and can't use. So I am all ears on this.

I forgot to add, I like that flashhider. I might have to look into that one.
View Quote

Thank you. A lot of thought went into it. I had the first gen Magpul AFG and it was nice... I just liked the Cobra grip better. I like the aesthetics better and the extra features I mentioned before. I only have a need for one AFG, though... so I gifted it to a buddy who had a build going at the time. I use vert grips on everything else I have.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to save some money and get one of the AFG's. I think Cobra is the way I will go. I like the way it looks.

How does it attach to the rail? I'm really new to rails.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How does it attach to the rail? I'm really new to rails.
View Quote

The Cobra grip slides on the rail from the end... then you slide the screw through the hole and tighten down. Its pretty straight forward and feels very secure.

The Magpul splits apart like a clam shell.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Cobra grip slides on the rail from the end... then you slide the screw through the hole and tighten down. Its pretty straight forward and feels very secure.

The Magpul splits apart like a clam shell.
View Quote

Okay cool. I really like the Cobra.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Lower:
KAC lower 
CMC Flat Trigger 
KAC Ambi Selector 
Magpul Bad Lever 
CMMG LPK 
KAK Shockwave until stamp comes back then b5 stick

Upper:
BCM 11.5 BFH 
BCM KMR Alpha with Railscales G10 and Karve Handstop 
Surefire MBK-566
Gemtech BCG 
BCM Bolt kit 
AXTS Freedom bone charging handle 
Magpul Pro BUIS 
Aimpoint H1 2moa 
ADM Aimpoint mount 

Need to add Surefire m300. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Now that is a sweet looking pistol. How do you like it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Haven't shot it yet, just finish it last week.  Going this Saturdaybtobsee how it runs my dealer should have my can as well time for more pics ??
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Finally shot it and its a dream

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top