BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2016 4:31:03 PM EDT
Someone should create an adjustable (like a normal stock) brace, not all forearms are the same length.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Like the Shockwave Blade with Shockwave dimpled buffer tube?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess it's been made...

Does it work well ? How does it attach to your forearm ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#3]
There is also the Maxim CQB Pistol PDW Brace.  It looks awesome, but I don't own one so I don't know if it works great.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is also the Maxim CQB Pistol PDW Brace.  It looks awesome, but I don't own one so I don't know if it works great.
View Quote

Looks like my MVB stock on my SBR,,

I would like a brace that fits on a normal 6 position AR buffer tube... That dimple thing is a start
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think they've actually shipped any yet. My buddy is a dealer for them and hasn't received his initial order. Maxim announced in October that they would ship in November; but, that apparently didn't happen.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think they've actually shipped any yet. My buddy is a dealer for them and hasn't received his initial order. Maxim announced in October that they would ship in November; but, that apparently didn't happen.
View Quote

Never does.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would like a brace that fits on a normal 6 position AR buffer tube... That dimple thing is a start
View Quote

I'm just starting to explore a pistol build... so I'm not an expert on the legalities and the like. But isn't the reason for using a dedicated pistol buffer tube to prevent a conventional stock from attaching to the gun? If one could use a standard carbine tube, and still legally have a pistol, wouldn't they?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never does.

I talked to him early October I believe and was told that they were just waiting on marketing and packaging materials. Obviously that was likely misinformation.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#9]
They would sell like crazy in a brown paper bag. Packaging is just going in the trash anyway. They can come out with fancy packaging once sales slow down.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Maxim cqb brace msrp $400.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#11]
It's December 31st

The Maxim brace are supposed to be ready to ship now. I wonder if they will drag this along some more?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm just starting to explore a pistol build... so I'm not an expert on the legalities and the like. But isn't the reason for using a dedicated pistol buffer tube to prevent a conventional stock from attaching to the gun? If one could use a standard carbine tube, and still legally have a pistol, wouldn't they?
View Quote

I was wondering about this too.  I see some pics posted here on the pistol forum of pistol owners displaying two or more of their pistols with a standard AR extension tube with nothing mounted.  Obviously they could all be documented SBR's, but I was curious as to whether they could still be classified as a pistol as long as a true "stock" wasn't attached.  I've never been clear on the legal description of this issue.  I have one pistol lower that switches between two uppers.  Some of the horror stories you hear occasionally about having various uppers, lowers, etc. on hand makes you wonder sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]
So I was waiting on the an tactical/maxim brace as well. It seems an tactical had to redesign the brace itself, from what I was told to clear the charging handle. Makes sense if you look at any picture of the brace, the rubber part on the top is higher than the rest of the tube and higher than the top of the lower receiver where the charging handle goes over. I just don't see how it was in development for so long and no one caught it up to now...

What I also noticed is there are 2 distinct lines of skus, one more higher priced from maxim defense and a much cheaper priced ~$250 range from an tactical that has I think only 1-2 position. Maybe someone can confirm the material/quality difference?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I was waiting on the an tactical/maxim brace as well. It seems an tactical had to redesign the brace itself, from what I was told to clear the charging handle. Makes sense if you look at any picture of the brace, the rubber part on the top is higher than the rest of the tube and higher than the top of the lower receiver where the charging handle goes over. I just don't see how it was in development for so long and no one caught it up to now...

What I also noticed is there are 2 distinct lines of skus, one more higher priced from maxim defense and a much cheaper priced ~$250 range from an tactical that has I think only 1-2 position. Maybe someone can confirm the material/quality difference?
View Quote

Lack of sling swivel mounts. Is one notable difference.

Appears Maxim removed the preorder verbage from their website. Seems they will be shipping now. Wahooooo!
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm collecting parts for a pistol build over the next year.  Thought I was going with the SBM4 brace but this ^ looks awesome. Especially the Mod 2.

The Maxim is cool, but too rich for me right now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#17]
When can I give Gear head works my money
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When can I give Gear head works my money
View Quote

Ditto.

And how much of my money will a Tailhook Mod 2 take?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Also a good question. I think one of the videos I saw from them figured around $200 for the mod 2. That is the dedicated buffer tube, lock plate, castle nut and brace. Not horrible....I have no idea if that is what it will cost, just going off the one video.

I think I will need one mod 1 and off mod 2.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]

That is freaking awesome!
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I do like how the Tailhook Mod 2 is also collapsible.  And it looks like it will be about half the price of the Maxim Defense one.

http://www.shop.gearheadworks.com/Tailhook-MOD-2-TH2.htm
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I hope the production model has a qd sling socket and has a small cover (think mini butt plate) that covers the top of the rear area...just look more finished.

Oh, and a FDE option, while I am dreaming out loud.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hope the production model has a qd sling socket and has a small cover (think mini butt plate) that covers the top of the rear area...just look more finished.

View Quote

I saw a review on YouTube that said one of the changes with the Mod 2 would be the inclusion of a QD socket.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I saw a review on YouTube that said one of the changes with the Mod 2 would be the inclusion of a QD socket.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well happy day! TAKE MY MONEY!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a couple of Gearhead components on a Tavor...excellent, quality stuff.  The guy that runs it is a real enthusiast himself.  If you already have a Shockwave and want a QD, it's pretty easy to grind the nubs off of an M-Lok QD and secure it to the flat portion of the Shockwave brace.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was wondering about this too.  I see some pics posted here on the pistol forum of pistol owners displaying two or more of their pistols with a standard AR extension tube with nothing mounted.  Obviously they could all be documented SBR's, but I was curious as to whether they could still be classified as a pistol as long as a true "stock" wasn't attached.  I've never been clear on the legal description of this issue.  I have one pistol lower that switches between two uppers.  Some of the horror stories you hear occasionally about having various uppers, lowers, etc. on hand makes you wonder sometimes.
View Quote

No stock is a pistol.  You can take a pistol, remove the upper, put a 16" upper on and slide on a stock. Remove the stock and switch back to the pistol upper.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw no mention of BATFE approval on their site. Without a letter I'd refrain because that thing looks to really be toeing the line. Perhaps I missed it somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I've read in several reviews that the Tailhook DOES have ATF approval as of last month, maybe they have not had enough time to revise their website?

Their facebook page refers to their Mod 2 as 'ATF approved'.

Still, I'd have to see a copy of the actual approval letter before I buy. I keep copies of my SB47 & Shockwave approval letters on me anytime they come out of the safe.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Still, I'd have to see a copy of the actual approval letter before I buy. I keep copies of my SB47 & Shockwave approval letters on me anytime they come out of the safe.
View Quote

Yea I hate being that guy, but I keep the ATF approval paper in the grip of my pistol just in case anything ever was to be said about it too.

They do state it is approved as of now, so paperwork should come with it no?

ETA: isn't SB Tactical supposed to be coming out with a collapsible brace for the ar15 platform that is just like the one for their MPX?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yea I hate being that guy, but I keep the ATF approval paper in the grip of my pistol just in case anything ever was to be said about it too.

They do state it is approved as of now, so paperwork should come with it no?

ETA: isn't SB Tactical supposed to be coming out with a collapsible brace for the ar15 platform that is just like the one for their MPX?
View Quote

I keep a rolled up copy of the approval letter in the grip of my pistols equipped with a Shockwave Blade as well. I honestly doubt a xerox copy of a letter would keep you from taking a ride downtown should any Barney Fife decide what you have is an SBR but it's worth a try.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've read in several reviews that the Tailhook DOES have ATF approval as of last month, maybe they have not had enough time to revise their website?
View Quote

Excellent.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ditto.

And how much of my money will a Tailhook Mod 2 take?
View Quote

Should be about $200, but that includes a proprietary receiver extension and hardware.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I threw away my ATF approval letters because I have no respect for an organization that sells guns to criminals. Their opinion means nothing to me.

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#34]
See... This is what I have been looking for!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Appears they will be shipping here any day.

Put me down for one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Sorry if I missed this, but what do they weigh?

They look cool, but heavy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Put me down for one.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58080/FB-IMG-1486021206728-138511.JPG
View Quote

I'm wondering if they fixed the issue with the Brace possibly interfering with the use of Charging Handles due to it's height?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm wondering if they fixed the issue with the Brace possibly interfering with the use of Charging Handles due to it's height?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put me down for one.

I know it will work with my side chargers...yippee!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Put me down for one.

View Quote

Mod 3?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Mod 3?
View Quote

No, I think these are Maxim??
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mod 3?

Aaah, yes they are.  $400, ouch.
then again, their normal stocks are in that ballpark.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes, I totally agree with ouch. I think I am holding out for the GHW Model 2...added with my LAW folder. I know together they would be the same price, but I already have the LAW folder (s).
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#43]

That video just goes to prove how stupid the rifle/sbr/pistol laws are.  It's ok if it's short barred rifle because it's actually a pistol, but it's just a pistol as long as it doesn't touch your shoulder.....but it if touches your shoulder, then it's an SBR....but if it's an inch away from your shoulder, then it's ok because it's a pistol.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#44]
19 oz, I was told.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Supposedly this was the redesign. Thats why they were several months late coming out. If you look at the image I posted, the rubber brace is now flattened up top to accommodate the charging handle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:26:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Anyone have one of these in hand yet? Of so, please post a review.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Aaah, yes they are.  $400, ouch.
then again, their normal stocks are in that ballpark.
View Quote

Nice but 400.00 for a pistol brace stock? , I am by no means cheap but that is absurd! The only way I would go for something like this would be through a friend offering it at dealer cost.

SBR the thing and use a real stock.

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nice but 400.00 for a pistol brace stock? , I am by no means cheap but that is absurd! The only way I would go for something like this would be through a friend offering it at dealer cost.

SBR the thing and use a real stock.

View Quote

Their stock kit is still $400.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol that thing is vaporware. I'd be surprised if anyone ever actually sees one actually sold and shipped.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
who is this an tactical you speak of?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top