Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 11:50:42 PM EDT
I've decided to build a pistol with the parts I've been acquiring.  I'm leaning towards 11.5", and my primary use will be run and gun type shooting.  That said, I do want it to be accurate out to 100 yards - 1 MOA or less.  I have a brand new 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel in my closet that I have considered sending to ADCO, but by the time they are done with it, I'll probably have more in it than a high end barrel, as it has the FSB pinned on from the factory, so that would have to be removed and a new LPGB put on.  Given how accurate it seems to be by all other accounts, I suppose I wouldn't mind spending the extra money if it would be a better option that anything below.  My guesstimate is that it would weigh around 23oz once chopped down to 11.5".

Alternatively, I have found a couple of online shops that still have a Daniel Defense 11.5 with pinned LPGB in stock (23oz with GB), though at a slightly elevated price from when they were easily obtainable.  Other options are the Noveske SS Gov profile or VSeven's version, but both are kinda starting to get heavy for a 11.5" run and gun AR pistol at 24-26 oz.  Maybe that's not too bad, I don't know.  I've never handled an AR with a short barrel before, nor do I personally know anyone that has one.  I do work out and am fairly strong.  I'm not huge or anything, but I'm no frail Hillary fanboy either.  Truthfully, I'm worried about the SS losing accuracy after rapid fire etc.  I also see BCM has a 410SS barrel that is nitrided - not sure if that is inside and out or just out though.

I also want to find out the weight on Triarc Systems' 11.5 TRACK barrel.  They have been unresponsive to email, so I guess I'll give them a call.

**** Splitting into 2 posts since I'm limited to 2000 characters as a new poster ****
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Because of how I'll be using this gun, I want it to be easy to handle, get on target quickly and keep on target with 2-3 shot bursts.  Here's the rest of my build if it helps make recommendations:

Matching Seekins billet upper and lower receivers
Faxon Gunner lightweight BCG
ALG Combat trigger group
Will pick a 12" FF lightweight rail of some sort, leaning towards the Fortis Rev 2
A muzzle device to make the short barrel a little more pleasant to shoot - either the Noveske KX5 or the Wilson Combat brake/blast diverter combo (another reason to consider barrel weight)
Haven't decided on a buffer system yet, but am leaning towards the VLTOR A5 pistol receiver kit with a A5H or A5H2 buffer and either just a a foam cover or the KAK brace (started researching the new SB as well) - recommendations welcome, I am 6' with long arms.
Single point sling to help hold the gun forward while obtaining a good cheek weld

So, that's where I'm at.  I'm sure I'm overthinking this, like I do everything, but still would like to get recommendations in case there is anything I am overlooking or have not considered.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I use BA Hanson barrels exclusively now. You should look into those. Also Faxon makes good barrels and get a good feedback here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
You're being unrealistic.  A chrome lined barrel isn't likely to get you 1 MOA.  But even if it was capable, it's highly unlikely that you're capable of shooting an AR pistol that well.  File a Form 1, put a stock on it, you'll be able to shoot it a lot better and you'll like it more.

BCM's 410 barrels are not nitrided, they're ion bonded.  Ion bond is a coating that isn't applied to the bore, only externally.  

Unless you're a world class shooter, you won't notice the difference in accuracy between the barrels you listed.  You also won't notice the difference when your stainless barrel passes 5,000 rounds.  Barrels last a lifetime unless they're abused or you're a benchrest shooter with really high accuracy standards.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're being unrealistic.  A chrome lined barrel isn't likely to get you 1 MOA.  But even if it was capable, it's highly unlikely that you're capable of shooting an AR pistol that well.  File a Form 1, put a stock on it, you'll be able to shoot it a lot better and you'll like it more.

BCM's 410 barrels are not nitrided, they're ion bonded.  Ion bond is a coating that isn't applied to the bore, only externally.  

Unless you're a world class shooter, you won't notice the difference in accuracy between the barrels you listed.  You also won't notice the difference when your stainless barrel passes 5,000 rounds.  Barrels last a lifetime unless they're abused or you're a benchrest shooter with really high accuracy standards.  
View Quote

Thanks, that does help.  Managing expectations is important.  I just wanted to be sure that any limitations I had were not due to my equipment if I could have chosen differently (chosen setup being a pistol aside).  I may file a Form 1 at some point, but do not have the intention with this build at this time.

Still interested in recommendations on completing the build - buffer tube/weight/brace etc.  Again, I want it to be as pleasant to shoot as a pistol can be, ie, not bruise my face off with the cheek weld.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top