Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2016 7:08:23 PM EDT
Any opinions on how the ATF would view the Arisaka Finger Stop on an AR pistol.  It is vertical but less than an inch high.  Thinking about one for a pistol build I am about to start.  Thanks!

http://arisakadefense.com/collections/control-accessories/products/finger-stop-keymod
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
you should write a letter to the alphabet division and ask.   <---sarcasm  

with that said, IMHO i wouldn't
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the ATF lol...who the fuck knows.

If its over 26.5 though..cant it have a VFG?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
MP5 has one to stop your finger from getting in front of the barrel, I'd think this would be okay.

Which means the ATF probably disagrees.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If its over 26.5 though..cant it have a VFG?
View Quote

26.0" is the minimum actually.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's a definite maybe...

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it's a definite maybe...
View Quote

This is what I was thinking!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm no lawyer, but this is how I see it.

Its not a grip.  You are meant to grip the handguard (horizontally).  This part keeps you from gripping too far forward.  Now if you do grip this tiny thing between your thumb and 1 of your fingers, then it becomes a vertical grip and it is subject to the NFA laws.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I may or may not know a guy who has a finger stop on a pistol (not this one, a 3d printed one).  There may or may not be picture of it in the pistol picture thread.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]
So, I e-mailed Arisaka today about their finger stop on pistols and the ATF.  This is what I wrote:

Hello,
This may seem like a silly question, but are the finger stops good to go on an AR pistol under 26" in length as far as the ATF is concerned?
Thanks,

This was the reply:

Hi,

We are waiting to hear back from the ATF on the status/classification of our finger stop with regards to AR pistols.

Regards,

Will Roberson
Arisaka
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#10]
its a no.

its a stubby vertical grip not a hand stop. just because they call it a hand stop doesn't mean shit.

if you slice it in half  it is the same on both sides , aka a vertical grip
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:03:45 AM EDT
[#11]
from what I understand, "finger stops" are ATF compliant on a pistol. They come from the factory on Sig MPX pistols, and are widely used on pistols to keep the operator from getting their hand out and into the muzzle blast.

A vertical grip, is a totally different part, with a different purpose.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top