Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2016 10:43:43 AM EDT
Looking to build a pistol and saw this upper on PA. Any reason not to use Radical Firearms?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Opinions will vary.  I know they had quality issues a while ago.  I assume they are fixed.  Before you commit, check out Andro Corp.  They have a really good discount for AR15 members.  The quality is definite.  For just a bit more you won't have to settle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Andro before Radical. Also the 10.5 from PSA are good.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
For a fun gun I don't see why not. I have a 16" .300 from them that's given me no trouble in hundreds of rounds. 5+ factory loads and 5+ handloads. Accurate, too.

I'm using a Toolcraft BCG FWIW.

If you can afford Andro I'd go that route but I trust mine enough now to occasionally give it the HD nod.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have several of their uppers no complaints here. AR15.com has a long memory if you have some quality issues even if years ago, you will always make junk.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
First reason not to buy Radical would be that to my knowledge, they still do not re torque their nitride barrels after treatment. Just google "radical firearms barrel comes loose from barrel extension". I think they are the only barrel manufacturer that still thinks this is acceptable. You would be much better off with a Ballistic Advantage or Faxon barrel. They are both quality barrels with a great "bang for your buck" and they are properly torqued after the nitride treatment. I think PSA has their 10.5" uppers on sale for $199 this weekend and those are GTG too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
No issues with mine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope RF has fixed their issues. I know they caught a lot of shit for their barrel extensions coming loose, but I'm not against reconsidering them if they've committed to putting out good product.

At this point I'd like to see reviews of their recent releases before I bought from them. Just goes to show the importance of doing it right the first time and taking care of your customers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i thought those issues had been resolved. have not heard a complaint on them in a good while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First reason not to buy Radical would be that to my knowledge, they still do not re torque their nitride barrels after treatment. Just google "radical firearms barrel comes loose from barrel extension". I think they are the only barrel manufacturer that still thinks this is acceptable. You would be much better off with a Ballistic Advantage or Faxon barrel. They are both quality barrels with a great "bang for your buck" and they are properly torqued after the nitride treatment. I think PSA has their 10.5" uppers on sale for $199 this weekend and those are GTG too.

i thought those issues had been resolved. have not heard a complaint on them in a good while.

To my knowledge, Radical still torques the extension before the nitride process and thats it. IF they have changed their procedures so that they perform a final torque after the barrel is treated, then maybe they deserve a second look? I still think its a big maybe because for the longest time they said it was fine not to re torque even though every other manufacturer says the torque value will change after the extended heat of the nitride process. Not saying every Radical barrel is under torqued but for my money, why take the chance? Especially when other barrel manufacturers do not and never have had this problem because they take the time to do it right.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I picked up a RF 10.5" 7.62x39 pistol upper a month ago, so far only ran about 200 rounds thru it but with zero malfunctions. I knew about the earlier issues with barrel extensions but decided to take a chance. I also have a PSA 16" carbine, it's put together well and I've had it for over a year & 1 to 2k rounds with no problems. So I think either is a safe bet for an entry level upper.

PSA probably would have been my first choice but they didn't have any in my caliber. For comparison, a PSA 5.56 10.5" w/FSB & standard hand guards upper minus BCG is $209. I got my 7.62x39 Radical upper with a round railed tube for the same price. I'd say both appear identical in terms of part & build quality.

Can't comment on RF's BCGs, I usually use AIM Surplus BCGs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hope RF has fixed their issues. I know they caught a lot of shit for their barrel extensions coming loose, but I'm not against reconsidering them if they've committed to putting out good product.

At this point I'd like to see reviews of their recent releases before I bought from them. Just goes to show the importance of doing it right the first time and taking care of your customers.
View Quote

Didn't Radical try to sink someone who gave an unfavorable review?

Why risk it when there are superior products for similar prices.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one of the radical 300 blk uppers on my ar pistol.  Only a couple hundred rounds through it but no issues.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:36:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought one barrel from radical once, the barrel extension did spin off when I tried to install it using barrel blocks. I sent it back and they apparently re torqued it and the second time I used a clam shell on the receiver instead and it worked and has been good.

I don't know if you only want a quad rail, but here is a keymod upper from bear creek arsenal. It comes with a bcg for $324.99 and they have $10 flat shipping. I have used 2 of their uppers and just ordered a third. I've used numerous barrels also and all have been good. bca upper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:38:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Radical Firearms is on my short "I will never do business with" list.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a issue with a Radical Upper. Sent it back. It could have been Radical or the gun shop switching parts, but Radical did make it right after a bit.

I would consider a Radical Upper for T/E to check issues and maybe not be hating on them. I just am gun shy with so many issues and other good priced uppers on the market.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I've learned in this thread, find another upper

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#22]

I have RF 10.5 .223 upper on a pistol. Other than the bolt not closing completely after each shot for the 1st mag through it (my Bushmaster did the same thing new) and the gas block moving 1/16" out (the set screws loosened) its been very reliable. I just put the gas block back in place then loctited the set screws. Did the same with my 16" .300blk upper from RF also after. When I got my .300blk from them, I seen the barrel extension issue and had it checked. It was fine.

Being its my 1st ar pistol, I was shocked at the noise out of it and the recoil.

As for the reviewer fiasco, as said before both parties are equally at fault. But as per ARFCOM, people go full retard before getting all the facts.

Will I buy another Radical Firearms upper? Probably yes. Want the 12.7x42 16" upper. Everytime it comes in stock at PA, its not in the budget and when its can be in the budget, its not in stock.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#23]
yea, I've looked at RF uppers in other calibers like 6.5 Grendel and .458 Socom. Finding a bargain in a 5.56 upper isn't hard, but when you get in to variant calibers there's not as many to choose from.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought one barrel from radical once, the barrel extension did spin off when I tried to install it using barrel blocks. I sent it back and they apparently re torqued it and the second time I used a clam shell on the receiver instead and it worked and has been good.

I don't know if you only want a quad rail, but here is a keymod upper from bear creek arsenal. It comes with a bcg for $324.99 and they have $10 flat shipping. I have used 2 of their uppers and just ordered a third. I've used numerous barrels also and all have been good. bca upper.
View Quote

Ended up going this route. Ordered on Thursday last week and got it last night. I'll assemble the pistol in a few days and post up. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a Radical upper maybe 2 years ago - the extension came loose - and they retorqued it after I shipped it back to them. This was after they fired the guy that was supposedly behind many of the issues.  

I haven't heard of many issues in recent history, but I'm staying away from them for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bought a Radical upper maybe 2 years ago - the extension came loose - and they retorqued it after I shipped it back to them. This was after they fired the guy that was supposedly behind many of the issues.  

I haven't heard of many issues in recent history, but I'm staying away from them for the foreseeable future.
View Quote

What happens when the extension breaks loose? I've never seen it happen. Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I know him...a good friend.     Also a cop...they showed up to his job and complained to his chief.    Fuck them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#29]
They're fine in my book, definitely heavier than the most premium parts on the market however... unless they came out with lightweight contour barrels that I haven't seen recently.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a couple of RF uppers. No complaints at all. I have always used upgraded (eg other manufacturers) BCGs. Never had a bbl ext issue. Others results may vary. I'd buy from them again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I got one of the andro 10.5 railed uppers for 350.. Its been good
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Andro before Radical. Also the 10.5 from PSA are good.
View Quote

I've used both for uppers - 7.5" pistol from Andro and 16" 7.62x39 from Radical.  Both function perfectly and I am very happy with both, but I had some quality issues with Andro - delivered with some spanner munge on the handguard lock ring notches, and also a defective flash hider with a piece chipped off of it.  I'd recommend Radical over Andro based on my limited experience of one product each.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine works great.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I gambled on a couple Radical 10.5 pistol uppers in .556 and .300blk. I figured for a couple hundred a piece why not. Both have been flawless. I run them with fail zero bcgs. I heard the bad stuff about them but they were cheap enough to gamble on and a barrel swap is nothing if I needed to. Haven't had any issues at all though. The .556 ended up getting sold because I like the .300blk a ton more and is very accurate.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I've had the 10.5" RF upper for almost a year.
Not one issue.

Love it.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top