Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2016 10:40:05 AM EDT
is it illegal to shot 5.56 rifle brass tipped ammo thru a ar pistol for self defense, I saw and read something that said this is a form of armor piercing ammo and is illegal from a pistol. did I misunderstand the statement??
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe that m855 (green tip ammo) or 556 ap ammo was specifically exempted from that rule in the legislation...

That being said, I believe the AP rule only applies when it is invoked and for new production, not on existing ammo..

Anyway...in for the right answers....
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know of any brass tipped ammo but if you are talking about steel core like m855, no it is not illegal.

the ATF had pushed to ban penetrator rounds & their argument was based on AR pistols but they lost as m855 is not true armor piercing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I plan on using 75 GR TAP out of an 11.5" barrel.

The muzzle flash and concussion out of a 10.5" wasn't bad at all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't say I ever heard of brass tipped.

Anyway you can legally shoot any .223 or 5.56 rifle round, at least any that will chamber in a AR rifle, from a AR pistol.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Didn't Barnes make an all brass or bronze bullet and ATF shut that down?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:06:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You appear to be misguided in the belief that there is "rifle" ammo that is unlawful to shoot through a handgun.

ATF considers the 5.56x45/223 Remington to be a pistol cartridge in any event.

Pick the ammo that is best for your barrel length, environment and anticipated threats.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]
This is what I caught wind of, said they seized up some 5.7 ammo because it was a rifle car tinge round being shot thru pistols. That's what I'm asking for clarification on. I don't wanna use my ar pistol for defense and they say the ammo illegal

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is what I caught wind of, said they seized up some 5.7 ammo because it was a rifle car tinge round being shot thru pistols. That's what I'm asking for clarification on. I don't wanna use my ar pistol for defense and they say the ammo illegal

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well with the 5.7 solid brass ammo, they just stopped manufacture, they didn't pull the manufactures records and go around and collect the ammo already sold.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Just shoot it. What ammo you get for self defense isn't going to be armor piercing. In fact M855 or military clones aren't even at the top of the list. An open tip match bullet about 70 grains is the better round as it expands down to a lower threshold than military fragments, and the market is full of them. Basic deer hunting ammo does a better job - you shouldn't need to penetrate 8" concrete block or sand bags.

I'd worry a lot more about (in reverse order): Noise reduction, who let them in the front door, how did they get on the property without you knowing, what did you do to get in their focus?

We talk gun stuff on gun forums but home defense is a much much bigger subject - it's about not even being in a neighborhood you have to worry about it. And all the things you can do before resorting to the last ditch shootout in your home where it will be proven that you failed to do anything to prevent it.

Sure the prosecutor might try to make your ammo look bad. He might also make the way the home appealed to thugs an issue, too. ANYTHING can be used against you in a court of law - even photos of your guns illegally assembled into NFA controlled configurations by the arresting cops and sent to the ATF. (True story.)

From that perspective any bullet will do and in fact won't make much difference. What does is what you do to prevent even needing to use them to put down an intruder in your home.

Like, security window film. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#10]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GyOsWuYPV0

at time stamp 8:40 I saw this too, which kinda started me asking questions
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"Armor piercing handgun ammunition" is not allowed in commercial trade.

It's irrelevant whether you shoot it from a rifle or a handgun.

Both the FN 5.7 cartridge and the 223 Rem/5.56 are "handgun" calibers according to ATF interpretation.

Any ammo that is lawful for you to shoot can be shot from either, unless you have some really bizzare state or local requirement.

ETA
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GyOsWuYPV0
at time stamp 8:40 I saw this too, which kinda started me asking questions

The comment made at that time is ignorant.

Armor piercing handgun ammunition is unlawful in commercial trade, it makes no difference at all what you shoot it out of.

AFAIK 300 blackout is a handgun cartridge, basically everything you can shoot in an AR is since people have made handguns for retail sale in essentially everything.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top