Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2016 12:51:04 AM EDT
Chambered for 300 Blackout.  Can't wait to shoot it!

(the upper doesn't look plum in person)

Lower:  Anderson Manufacturing (from my inventory)
LPK:  Brownells
Trigger:  from my parts stash, with Wolf reduced power trigger spring kit
Grip:  MOE +
Buffer tube:  generic w 3.7 oz buffer

Upper:  Anderson Manufacturing
Barrel:  10" Ballistic Advantage
BCG:  borrowed from my Bushmaster for now
Gas block:  Aero lo-pro
Handguard:  9" generic free-float w/ M-Lok slots
Muzzle:  KAK Flash Can

Sighting:  who needs sights?  The mighty 300 can't miss!  Actually will likely start with a Tru Glo reflex sight I have and see how that goes.

While not a specific goal to be as cheap as possible, I did start due to the availability of inexpensive parts to put the kit together.  The parts I had to purchase ran about $290 to my door and the value of the "on hand" parts is about $115, plus it will need its own BCG at about $95, bringing the total to $500.  With the Tru Glo, about $570.

Any and all comments are welcome!

(oh, and I put in a Form 1 to make an SBR on another receiver for later)

Rob
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a beauty - KISS, and 300 BO to boot (excellent caliber choice)
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope your build was less painful than mine was even initially, but continues to be to this day.

But the huge wins are now you'll have the knowledge and tools to work on AR's (all but most of the proprietary stuff).
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the first time I've assembled my own complete upper, but I've done several lowers.  My friend had the upper block and barrel nut wrench and helped with the barrel installation.  It went together pretty easily, though it did require about 65 ft-lbs to get gas tube alignment.  

The proof will be in the shooting, of course.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Took it to the range today and shooting it was a hoot!  First time I've fired an AR pistol and it was a little unusual.  At first I was hesitant to try a "cheek weld" hold, but once I did it really felt more natural.  Even without, though, I was pretty pleased with how it shot.  This was not a full work up, but rather a quick test run.  No malfunctions at all using 3 different mags:  10 round PMag;  20 round alum;  30 round Lancer.  None were fully loaded, though (range rules and lack of ammo).  Bolt held open on every empty mag.

As mentioned, I mounted a Tru Glo reflex sight and it was good to go.  I used a laser bore site to get closely adjusted before firing the first round and it paid off.  I had two types of ammo with me, but only one box of each (I thought I had grabbed two boxes of the supersonic, but didn't).  I fired all 20 of the UMC 120 gr Supersonics and just 2 of the Rem High Performance 220 gr Subsonic loads.

At 25 yards, 5 shots of Supersonics were holding under 1.5 inches. The target below shows the first sighting rounds about 2" right of the center.  Then I adjusted the sight the wrong way and fired the rounds way right.  Then I came back the right way and put one just a little high and right, then finally adjusted into the center and fired the other 5 rounds (I think it is actually 6).

(ignore the big holes...I was also shooting a 44-40 lever rifle)

At 50 yards, groups were about 2.5 inches and substantially high (3 - 4") and a little right compared to 25 yards.

The 2 Subsonics were fired at 25 yards at the end of the session, just to see what they would do:  side by side almost touching and about 4 inches low.  Very cool lack of noise and recoil, though.

Should be fun to work it out some more!  Received 300 formed cases last week and dies and bullets will be here tomorrow.  Also have some boxes of the S&B factory ammo inbound.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:42:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks great!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top