Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2016 12:07:56 AM EDT
So I been doing a lot of Internet reading but never thought to check if ar15.com had a dedicated section (which they do).

I'm gonna continue to read threads but in I'll ask my questions as I continue to research.

My questions are solely regarded at federal law as my state has no restrictions.

Does a pistol have to use a pistol round in order not to fall under NFA and sbr regs?

Common sense tells me yes but then again, our laws don't seem to be based on common sense.

Can a pistol chambered in a pistol round, be equipped with a butt stock?

I suppose my main confusion is what differentiates a pistol and not needing a tax stamp from a SBR ?  Is it the chambering?

Sorry ladies and gents, new to the pistol arena.  Have my share of 14.5"+ ARs but recently spiked interest in pistols.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does a pistol have to use a pistol round in order not to fall under NFA and sbr regs? No

Can a pistol chambered in a pistol round, be equipped with a butt stock? No pistol can ever be equipped with a buttstock - that would make it a short-barreled rifle

I suppose my main confusion is what differentiates a pistol and not needing a tax stamp from a SBR ?  Is it the chambering? Not having a stock, and having only one grip (designed and intended to be fired with one hand) Chambering has nothing to do with it.

Sorry ladies and gents, new to the pistol arena.  Have my share of 14.5"+ ARs but recently spiked interest in pistols.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
27 CFR 478.11

Pistol.
A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a
projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and
having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently
aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped
by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the
bore(s).

Rifle. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to
be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or
remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge
to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single
pull of the trigger.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
So, for example, a Colt 6920 could not be reconfigured (legally) into a pistol? Because it was originally manufactured as a rifle?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, for example, a Colt 6920 could not be reconfigured (legally) into a pistol? Because it was originally manufactured as a rifle?
View Quote

Yep. That's ATFs current ruling.  Definition of a rifle includes a firearm "made from a rifle".
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is an AR Pistol and an AR SBR.  Basically, the absence of a Stock makes all of the difference.  There are also requirements on how one is registered and/or DROS'd depending on the State laws where you are at.

Pistol:

SBR:

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep. That's ATFs current ruling.  Definition of a rifle includes a firearm "made from a rifle".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, really that's a SCOTUS ruling. ATF always held that once a rifle period, always a rifle. SCOTUS changed that by narrowing it to an original configuration.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not a ATF ruling it is the law codified in the NFA.

Pistol. A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a
projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and
having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently
aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped
by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the
bore(s).

No other firearm can ever be made into a pistol as it was not originally designed as such and therefore can ever meet the definition of a pistol. It's really quite that simple.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
27 CFR 478.11

Pistol.
A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Rifle. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
View Quote

OP this is going to get complicated the above is perfect, it has nothing to do with caliber.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top