Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2016 9:36:03 PM EDT
Getting my hands on a 12" LaRue stealth barrel. I want to use this as a compact build, but still legal. I want to avoid SBR for now. I'm gonna try and knock out the SBRs and suppressor paperwork all at once at a later date when I'm ready.

But I wanna enjoy this now of course.

Question is will this muzzle be able to be pinned, and still functional later for the suppressor?

Main question. Will it make the 12" version legal?

If I'm SOL, I'll just have to build 2 pistols for now instead of one.

Thanks for y'alls help. This is my first SBR endeavor, so wanna stay legal. AAC days length of muzzle is 4.25", so it should be good. Just wanna get verification from those who know before i burn myself.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Getting my hands on a 12" LaRue stealth barrel. I want to use this as a compact build, but still legal. I want to avoid SBR for now. I'm gonna try and knock out the SBRs and suppressor paperwork all at once at a later date when I'm ready.

Question is will this muzzle be able to be pinned, and still functional later for the suppressor?

Thanks for y'alls help. This is my first SBR endeavor, so wanna stay legal. AAC days length of muzzle is 4.25", so it should be good. Just wanna get verification from those who know before i burn myself.
View Quote

I would probably contact AAC and get their opinion on the barrel length question. But just based on your measurements, I think you'd be short because there is an overlap of threads (.4" ?) that must be subtracted.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would probably contact AAC and get their opinion on the barrel length question. But just based on your measurements, I think you'd be short because there is an overlap of threads (.4" ?) that must be subtracted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why i asked. Didn't even think about the damn threads.

I'll shoot am email to them.

This is the longest muzzle I've found. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I am also getting a DD 12.5" barrel. But I really wanted to use the c larue for this dag gummit. Gawl!

Hope is not lost. I'll find a way to make this work. Or just suck it up and wait on the papers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Pistol is your answer. What ever you put on that will need to be pinned and welded if it's on a rifle and not a sbr.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pistol is your answer.
View Quote

Yep. Get a shockwave blade and enjoy it now. Just be careful shouldering it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
SBR is lyfe. just assembled my "p90" approved. Been humping it since.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen the various braces out there. I'm just not fond of them. I want to SBR, just not ready yet. I'm wanting to SBR a pair of Jack10 and Jack15 lowers. Which i don't have yet. That's why I'm waiting. Don't want to SBR the cheapo ones i have now. Don't want to do it multiple times when i don't need to either. That's why i wanted to wait.

I guess i could just deal with building 2 pistols. Geez, life isn't fair sometimes.

I was checking out long flash hiders and i came across the holescreek guy on hkpro.

Anyone here making custom flash hiders? I only have 1 pistol lower on hand. Don't have enough parts to build another. So, the wife isn't gonna be happy. The daughter will though, she loves helping. I'll use that angle. Ha!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:58:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm think I'm just gonna end up doing the DD as a pistol, and put the Larue up until i get my papers.

Just noticed the AAC flash hider states it only adds 1.75" total length. Reading is fundamental. I guess it's similar to an OPS Inc setup with the barrel being shrouded by the mount.

So, yeah. LaRue is getting put up until i get everything ready.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not being a smart ass. Real question.

Why buy a 12" barrel, buy a 4" muzzle device and have it pinned & welded to make it 16" long ? ? ?

Why not not just get a 16" barrel and you're all set. Is it a specific ballistic performance thing people are after? They want less velocity, different twist rate, etc...? I just don't get it. Seriously, I'm not being a smart ass.

The only thing I can figure is if the muzzle device protrudes a few inches into the suppressor therefore shortening the overall length.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm wanting to SBR, wanted to build up the LaRue barrel as such, but have a pinned muzzle temporarily until i get my papers. Then have the muzzle replaced with a proper, normal length one.

Not a smart ass question at all. I totally agree, I'm just trying to enjoy it now is all. Being impatient.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm wanting to SBR, wanted to build up the LaRue barrel as such, but have a pinned muzzle temporarily until i get my papers. Then have the muzzle replaced with a proper, normal length one.

Not a smart ass question at all. I totally agree, I'm just trying to enjoy it now is all. Being impatient.
View Quote

Lotta hassle. Why not KISS, run it as a pistol for a while -- they're plenty of fun even without using a brace in an um unlawful way.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#13]
In gonna build one pistol for now since i only have 1 virgin lower. Larue will be put up until i get my papers. I build the DD barrel KISS style because that was the plan all along. I'll just start getting stuff together for the SBR.

I thought it was gonna be easier finding a longer flash hider that doesn't look goofy.

I don't get to eat my cake yet. Just hold on to it for now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Exactly - build a pistol. Keep it under 26" and you aren't something else. It won't have a stock, "ie flat vertical surface," and no VFG - but you get to carry it loaded in a bag in the front seat in a lot of states, carry it concealed - or even openly - transport it across state lines (no ATF permission required), and use it in states where an SBR is outlawed.

Same barrel as the MK18, just as short, just as accurate with some practice, and the ballistics are identical. An AR pistol under 26" can go sideways down a lot of narrow hallways where the 16" with flash hider scrapes the walls. Which is exactly why the Army adopted it in 1965 and the Navy uses it for ship boarding and clearing ops.

They just get to put a stock on it.

I continue to ask what real difference it makes, just to be That Guy and get people to think. If the stock - or not - makes no difference, there is no point to the NFA in that regard.

BTW an adjustable length Brace from SB has recently been approved by the ATF. One device fits all forearms.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't wanna say too much, not because I'm doing anything questionable, i got an idea for stashing a bug out kit in my car. Which includes the pistol.

So, gotta go as cheap as possible, but as reliable as possible. Barrel, bcg are going to be the most costly. Not sure if I should do an A2 front and chopped carry handle,  or go without irons and only have the read dot. Don't want to free float or anything fancy.

I want it cheap enough to not be too upset if i get jacked. But don't want to compromise reliability at all. It is the utmost requirement this thing go bang every time.

Can't be vertical and flat, what constitutes as flat? I haven't researched that.

How is the Shockwave legal? It's vertical and flat. Same with the brace. Saying is only illegal it i put it to my shoulder is bat shit. I don't get it. I can understand the NFA tax on machine guns, but what the hell. I seriously just don't get it.

By that logic, as long as i use whatever is attached to the back of my pistol as a forearm brave, everything is ok? Rhetorical question.

Anyways, fucking paperwork.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]
The Shockwave is perfectly legal, the best of the all the braces that I know of and only $48.50 including the KAK dimpled buffer tube.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Shockwave is perfectly legal, the best of the all the braces that I know of and only $48.50 including the KAK dimpled buffer tube.
View Quote

I don't get it, but whatever. I haven't handled the blade yet, but i did the Sig brace and i don't like it. But, i did not shoot with it, only donned it and played with it a bit.

Are these the only "approved" bracing methods? This is my first pistol and SBR. Honestly, i just get confused when i start reading the legal BS. Like I'm unable to comprehend the bullshit, ha. Which has kept me away for awhile, now screw it. I'm jumping in with both feet.

Just need to get my Jacks for the SBR stuff. Maybe I'll throw a couple stripped lowers on they're for safe measure. Might as well load the trust up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't get it, but whatever. I haven't handled the blade yet, but i did the Sig brace and i don't like it. But, i did not shoot with it, only donned it and played with it a bit.

Are these the only "approved" bracing methods? This is my first pistol and SBR. Honestly, i just get confused when i start reading the legal BS. Like I'm unable to comprehend the bullshit, ha. Which has kept me away for awhile, now screw it. I'm jumping in with both feet.

Just need to get my Jacks for the SBR stuff. Maybe I'll throw a couple stripped lowers on they're for safe measure. Might as well load the trust up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's not much to the pistol laws. Just don't put a stock on it and no vertical grip. Braces are NOT stocks. The point of the braces are to avoid SBR and are perfectly legal. Of course they can serve as a stock, that is their real purpose, but they are not a stock by the definition of the ATF's written opinions. There's the Sig brace, Shockwave Blade brace and the overpriced SB Tactical Collapsing Brace. Those are the ones that I know of.

You can go SBR, but then you'll be restricted as mentioned previously. SBRs are NFA items. Pistols are no big deal just like any other pistol.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
There's not much to the pistol laws. Just don't put a stock on it and no vertical grip. Braces are NOT stocks. The point of the braces are to avoid SBR and are perfectly legal. Of course they can serve as a stock, that is their real purpose, but they are not a stock by the definition of the ATF's written opinions. There's the Sig brace, Shockwave Blade brace and the overpriced SB Tactical Collapsing Brace. Those are the ones that I know of.

You can go SBR, but then you'll be restricted as mentioned previously. SBRs are NFA items. Pistols are no big deal just like any other pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might want to rethink your statements here. All the various braces ARE stocks (according to the BATFE) IF you shoulder them and doing so puts you in possession of an illegal SBR.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Shockwave is perfectly legal, the best of the all the braces that I know of and only].

This isn't wisdom one should consider, nor the mindset if jousting in the pistol arena.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I get why y'all are calling him out. But he has a point. How is the Shockwave not a stock? It's vertical and flat. It's locked in place by a set screw and dimple.

By that logic, i can use any "stock" as a brace, but i am just not allowed to shoulder it. Is this not correct?

What about if i had a UBR stock. Would i be in compliance if i just used it as a brace? That's what i don't get why the Sig and Shockwave are legal. Could i simply remove the lower portion of the UBR and be in compliance?

I don't want to get unexpected taps on the shoulder while at the range. Or be put in a bad spot if i get pulled over for whatever reason.

I'm going to do the SBR eventually, as I'm getting a trust for the suppressors and possibly a registered sear or lower. So, is logical to do the SBR papers while I'm at it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
...How is the Shockwave not a stock?...
View Quote

Because ATF has not ruled it as a stock. Really.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#23]
For what it's worth..I say go for the short barrel rifle route I know you don't want to go that way but least you can get any rifle stock you may want to purchase with out worrying about the ATF finding out if they do.  I have a Daniel Defense MK18 10.3" pistol that I made it in to a SBR due to not being able to shoot it as a Pistol I lost some of my muscle strength in my right arm and now I am able to shoot my rifle with the butt stock.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I get why y'all are calling him out. But he has a point. How is the Shockwave not a stock? It's vertical and flat. It's locked in place by a set screw and dimple.

By that logic, i can use any "stock" as a brace, but i am just not allowed to shoulder it. Is this not correct?

What about if i had a UBR stock. Would i be in compliance if i just used it as a brace? That's what i don't get why the Sig and Shockwave are legal. Could i simply remove the lower portion of the UBR and be in compliance?

I don't want to get unexpected taps on the shoulder while at the range. Or be put in a bad spot if i get pulled over for whatever reason.

I'm going to do the SBR eventually, as I'm getting a trust for the suppressors and possibly a registered sear or lower. So, is logical to do the SBR papers while I'm at it.
View Quote
The various braces have all received a determination letter from the ATF that states as long as they are used in the manner in which they were designed for, and so outlined in the makers letter of request for determination, then they are not considered a stock and does not change the classification of the pistol. However the ATF also made it clear that if these braces were use to shoulder fire the pistol then the user has redesigned it from their original purpose as a arm brace and it is thereby reclassified as a stock and the pistol is therefore now a SBR.

A stock, such as the UBR you mention, has never been submitted to the ATF for determination as a brace and is simply a stock. Installing one on a pistol shows the makers has  "redesigned, remade and intended to fire from the shoulder" that pistol and is then a SBR.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Whatever

Shockwave it is. I don't like the Sig one. Too tight on my forearm, and rips out my arm hairs. Boo hoo, i know. But is my money dammit

That ATF stuff sounds like nonsense to me. But whatever. Rules of the game i suppose. Follow them or don't play, right?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#26]
have you looked into the thordsen customs cheek rest?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Whatever

Shockwave it is. I don't like the Sig one. Too tight on my forearm, and rips out my arm hairs. Boo hoo, i know. But is my money dammit

That ATF stuff sounds like nonsense to me. But whatever. Rules of the game i suppose. Follow them or don't play, right?
View Quote
Whatever? you asked a question why and it was answered exactly why and now you pull some BS Prima Donna "whatever" crap?

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#28]
It's your money but we are trying to help you..
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#29]
What if you buy a griffin Spartan and pin/weld that to your barrel
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Whatever? you asked a question why and it was answered exactly why and now you pull some BS Prima Donna "whatever" crap?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever

I'm saying "whatever" to the stupid rules and regulations. Not to the answer itself, calm down bud. Don't let mere words get you wadded up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I thought about getting a suppressor pinned, but if I'm going to get the papers for the suppressor, i might as well get the SBR stuff going at the same time, right?

That's why I came here. To see if it was possible to avoid SBR for now, and not look like a goof ball i guess.

I just found out a coworker has a setup with the blade and brought it into work. The brace, not the rig, and i actually like it. Might like it enough to say the hell with SBR altogether, but gotta put it through the paces first.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top