Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2016 4:40:45 PM EDT
I'm building a pistol in 300 BLK, and I can't seem to find a handguard that I like.

I'm going with JBO billet upper and lower, a 8-1/2" stainless barrel, with Magpull OD Green grip and magazine.

Here is a picture for reference:

I've never liked quad rails because they seem so rough and big and grabby. On my rifles, I've always leaned towards MOE handguards cuz they're so much smother and sleeker. A pistol is supposed to be small, light, and sleek, so I want to go that direction even more.

I don't really care about free floating the barrel, but it looks like the only option for a pistol, and the handguard doesn't have to be OD green, though that would be nice.

So anyways, help. I can't seem to find anything that mounts cleanly to the receiver and looks small and sleek like a pistol should be.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8Fxgn5EJbwQ/Vw6tfbKlbsI/AAAAAAAAngY/7F-x0_H7g3oc9Y16pR_Onx6WcVhT57OvACCo/s800-Ic42/WP_20160403_008.jpg
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW,
If anyone knows how to post a picture, I'd appreciate the help.

LOL

Edit ----

Okay. Now how do you delete a #$%# post
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The picture shows up in the first post.

As for the front end, depends on what you want. Light weight? Do you want it to cover the entire barrel, or do you want the barrel to stick out? What hider are you planning on using? Maybe a Suppressor down the road?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Down the road,
I do plan on adding both a supressor and a UBR stock in OD green.

I could go either way on whether or not the barrel sticks out. I probably lean towards a shorter handguard, cuz I'm trying to keep it small. --- i.e. PISTOL
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always liked some of the Midwest Industries free float handguards.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, depending on the suppressor and mount you would need to know diameters. Ive hand suppressors go inside as well as butt up to the handgaurd. Surf through the picture threads. Here and in the sbr thread, also the suppressor pic thread. Its the best way to get an idea of what things look like. Also a real good way to save time and money, buying stuff and figureing out after you get it fitment and looks can be costly trying to resell.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Geissele MK series or RISII is always the answer if you like spending money.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've always liked some of the Midwest Industries free float handguards.
View Quote

I actually have been looking at the MI SS series 2nd and 3rd gen handguards

The thing that bothers me about them is how the bolts stick out like a big wart on the bottom and how the shape doesn't seem to fit very cleanly to the upper receiver.

They're on the list though.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wasn't planning to spend much, but the more I look, the more I get the idea that I'm going to have to drop some coin to get what I want.

Kinda liking the Seekins NOX and SLR Helix cuz they're short, light and open to show contrast with the stainless barrel, but I'm wondering if they'll be to rough.   i.e. snag on stuff.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, depending on the suppressor and mount you would need to know diameters. Ive hand suppressors go inside as well as butt up to the handgaurd.
View Quote

I've debated both ways, but I think I'm going to go with the shorter handguard setup.

If and until I get a can, I want it to be small, light, and sleek. - i.e. a PISTOL
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the Fortis Rev II. It's available in both keymod and mlok. I also like the QD built into the front and rear of the hand guard.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Pls check your IM's.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wasn't planning to spend much, but the more I look, the more I get the idea that I'm going to have to drop some coin to get what I want.

Kinda liking the Seekins NOX and SLR Helix cuz they're short, light and open to show contrast with the stainless barrel, but I'm wondering if they'll be to rough.   i.e. snag on stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the Helix on my 16 inch and it's not rough at all, Really love that rail. I also have a Solo Ultralight on my pistol and love that as well. Same thing, not rough at all. Great mounting system too. One of the easiest rails to install in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay. I'm starting to narrow it down.

I've come to realization that there seems to basically be large diameter 1.8-2.0" diamerter handguards, and also the smaller variety that mostly measure 1.5" outside and 1.3" inside.

I 'm not planning on fitting a can inside yet, so I want to go with the smaller.

I'm considering the flowing:

1. - Gear Sector GSR 7" in Olive Drab - I like that it's green and it seems simple enough

2. - Seekins NOXs 9" - I love the look. Wish it came in a 7" or 8", but it might be fine at 9"

3. - Midwest SS series 7" - I can get it in green (though not the right green) and it seems to be tried and tested, but I don't really like the big bolt flange sticking out on the bottom

4. - Midwest G3 M-LOK 9" - I like the look of this, but it doesn't come in green and it doesn't come in a 7" size

5. - SLR Helix - Love the looks of this one. It comes in a 6.7" or an 8". The bolting sticks out a little, but not bad.

There are others including A2 Armament Balios Lite, Diamondhead VRS-T, Mega Wedge lock, and even UTG Pro Superslim, but the above five are my most interesting options.

Anyone want to share any pros and cons on the above list?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Check out Odin Works handguards. No goofy bulge on the bottom like MI.

Seekins Precision BAR
Seekins Precision SAR

Fortis Manufacturing makes some gnarly handguards!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Since you're going Billet you might want to look at SLR Rifleworks, Solo Ultra Lite. Right to Bear had the best price when I was looking.

Really works well with the lines of the billet upper/lower

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#19]
The MI gen III has a lot to offer with QD''s in every spot you may want one and its light weight.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Hmmmm.

Looks like I can even get a 7" in OD Green.

Anyone else have any feedback on Guntec?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I just took off a guntec rail on my pistol I just built. I got it super cheap in a bundle with some other parts, while it was a decent rail it felt cheap and I couldn't stand the look and feel so I picked up a UTG super slim and couldn't be happier. It's perfect for a pistol build and was completely surprised by the way it feels.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Since you're going Billet you might want to look at SLR Rifleworks, Solo Ultra Lite. Right to Bear had the best price when I was looking.

Really works well with the lines of the billet upper/lower

http://i.imgur.com/dJ9xh2w.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/A1bBCuT.jpg
View Quote

What upper is that?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's what I finished up just about an hour ago:

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/titan68/media/Firearms/254F536E-873F-432B-9395-1B7FF4D8AECE.jpg.html]

[/

Add a handguard retainer plate behind the gas block and you can use any standard handguard.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top