Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 8:41:13 PM EDT
I know most of the posts on the AR 15 pistol site are at least 4-5 years old. My question is this, would I have a problem using a rifle length buffer and tube on a pistol build?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You could but with a rifle buffer tube, there's no castle nut keeping it tight. Also, there's nothing holding the take down pin detent and spring in place.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You could but with a rifle buffer tube, there's no castle nut keeping it tight. Also, there's nothing holding the take down pin detent and spring in place.
View Quote
I bet he means a carbine tube.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

What!

How do you think a rifle is constructed?

The rifle receiver extension is torqued onto the receiver.
It doesn't need a castle nut.

You would have to do the setscrew mod for the takedown pin detent.

And yes OP, you can use one.
It's been done for years.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You would have to do the setscrew mod for the takedown pin detent.
View Quote

Or use KNS Precision take down pin and forget about the detent and spring altogether.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I like the KNS take down pin route. I have both rifle and carbine tubes,buffers and springs. I know I would need to secure the detent spring if I use the rifle tube. I don't know if there is enough thread to use a back plate/sling holder.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I like the KNS take down pin route. I have both rifle and carbine tubes,buffers and springs. I know I would need to secure the detent spring if I use the rifle tube. I don't know if there is enough thread to use a back plate/sling holder.
View Quote

It depends.
I have an end plate under a standard pistol receiver extension.
The threads and torque on assembly is the same as a rifle extension.
The plate works and the retainer is still captured.
You have to grind away the center tab on the end plate to work.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top