Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2015 10:29:21 AM EDT
I've just started looking for an AR-15 type pistol.  I'd like one without a buffer tube, so it seems that will limit my options somewhat.  Another thing that's important, is I'd like to be able to easily replace broken parts, so I'd rather not have proprietary components.  I was looking at the Extar EXP. Great looking gun, nice and light, and really inexpensive.  Problem is, seems like most of the parts are proprietary and not easily available if something breaks.  

What are some other options?  RRA has a nice AR pistol, albeit a bit expensive.  KelTec PLR-16?  As stated, a very important feature has to be the availability of replacement parts.

Thoughts from the hive?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I've just started looking for an AR-15 type pistol.  I'd like one without a buffer tube, so it seems that will limit my options somewhat.  Another thing that's important, is I'd like to be able to easily replace broken parts, so I'd rather not have proprietary components.  I was looking at the Extar EXP. Great looking gun, nice and light, and really inexpensive.  Problem is, seems like most of the parts are proprietary and not easily available if something breaks.  

What are some other options?  RRA has a nice AR pistol, albeit a bit expensive.  KelTec PLR-16?  As stated, a very important feature has to be the availability of replacement parts.

Thoughts from the hive?
View Quote

I would buy the RRA.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The no receiver extension requirement means there is no way to use a standard bolt carrier setup, so you will by default be limiting yourself to non-standard and proprietary parts that will vary depending on the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The no receiver extension requirement means there is no way to use a standard bolt carrier setup, so you will by default be limiting yourself to non-standard and proprietary parts that will vary depending on the manufacturer.

View Quote

That's kind of what I figured.  With that in mind, is there one brand of ar pistol that uses more common parts than other brands? For example, I've also been looking at the kel tec plr16. Seems to use a lot of common ar parts, like the fcg and a lot of the springs.

Is there any one brand that's better suited for interchangeable parts?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Why don't you want a buffer tube?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I really like the appearance and compact size on the non buffer models.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buffer tube is actually quite an overall plus as far as actual operation. Just laying the tube alongside cheek as the third point of contact increases accuracy significantly.

Otherwise, you're going to be limited to a very few off the shelf ARish models, or you'll have to add a piston kit yourself.

Or you could just go with an AK pistol -- the 7.62x39 round keeps more of its zap from short barrel than does 5.56.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I vote you should buy a quality complete upper and a quality complete lower, and put them together yourself to spare yourself the gov gun tax.

Quality... something like BCM, DD, Rainier, etc should be fine. Even Spikes or similar.

If you want to buy once, for almost certain, maybe consider an LMT MRP CQB 10.5" upper.

As far as your specific desire for no buffer tube, you won't be looking at an AR.

Even though this is an AR pistol section.... maybe any of the numerous piston options out there. Maybe a new Sig MCX or CZ Bren? No experience with either. Not sure if the MCX comes as a pistol yet either. Probably does.

I think the RRA is out, plenty of better (lighter, purpose built) options out now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Or you could just go with an AK pistol -- the 7.62x39 round keeps more of its zap from short barrel than does 5.56.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

But 5.56 out of a 10.5" barrel still has about as much force at 300yd as .44 mag at the muzzle. So it is effective, and I personally don't feel undergunned with a short AR compared to a longer one for most stuff.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any experience with with  bufferless ar's. Most people use want one for a cheek rest or other stabilizing device. If you want parts compatible I think you aught to look at just a standard ar upper and lower. With that you can build other uppers in different calibers since you have all standard parts. You will want more than one eventually

Sorry if this isn't any help to you in your quest for an ar pistol without a buffer.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Curious as to what you decided.  I'm in the same boat with the extar or RRA.  I may just do a build.  Good point on the buffer and using the cheek.. Hmm
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I love the 7.62x39 in a short barrel and give u what you wanted no buffer tube. I went with a 10.5 barrel ar chambered in 7.62x39 since I wanted the sig brace but out a 10.5 barrel I has a lot less flash then my buddies 7.5 inch ar 7.62x39 plus u get to use steel ammo that ranges from 123-154 grain bullets and out of a 10 inch barrel it will stay about 2000 fps in a 10 inch barrel vs 2350 in a 16 inch the 154 grain will go just under 2000 but those are soft points and range about 28 cents a round vs the 123 fmj or hp range about 21 cents a round
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you looked into the M85 Pap? 223 AK with an AR magwell adaptor. They're pretty affordable too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Curious as to what you decided.  I'm in the same boat with the extar or RRA.  I may just do a build.  Good point on the buffer and using the cheek.. Hmm
View Quote

I almost forgot to update this thread.

Just picked up my PLR16 yesterday. Haven't shot it yet, but it feels pretty slick, and kel tec gives a lifetime warranty.

I'll update again after I get to the range.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top