Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2015 12:16:22 AM EDT
looking forward to at least one pistol build in the near future. Which would you suggest and why? Are there any buffer tubes that these don't play nicely with?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both the Sig Brace and Shockwave Blade...

The Sig is a HEAVY PIG!!! Plus I went with the "Correct Fitting" Phase 5 receiver extension, now I CAN'T GET THE DAMN SIG BRACE OFF OF THE EXTENSION!

The Shockwave Blade is CONSIDERABLY lighter, BUT use the recommended KAK receiver extension.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Couldn't agree more. Have the SIG brace on a 330 blk build and just put the blade on a 556 build with the KAK tube (it's worth the $20.) I'll be replacing the SIG brace with a blade.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the blade on a pistol build and a friend has the Sig brace.  I like the blade better.  I recommend using the KAK buffer tube with the notches in it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 Sig Braces. Then I gave the Shockwave blade a try and now I'm switching all to the blade. The blade is cheaper, WAY lighter, and look a lot better.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Love the blade with the kak tube, very solid setup. I'll be buying a few more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#7]
My pistol came with a Sig brace, didn't like it at all, too bulky and awkward for me.
Switched over to the Shockwave blade, love it. It's lighter and much more easier to handle.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:10:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I just removed my Sig brace from my 300 blackout and replaced it with the shockwave blade and shockwave tube this evening.The shockwave set is the way to go, hands down the best brace, period. Everyone above nailed it, with the better price, weight, and function.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:21:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I have both and like the blade a lot more because it's lighter and it's slimmer profile.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 Sigs. ..and 2 blades. Both Sigs are in the parts bin now. Not even close regarding ergos, weight, looks, etc.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Sig Brace and it looks like the Blade is a better way to go.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Blade is way better than the Sig IMO

The KAK tube is nice. My PSA pistol tube also works well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a sig brace once. The weight was terrible

I purchased a whole kit from KAK. It had the buffer tube, buffer, spring, end plate, castle nut, and shockwave blade for $90 shipped.
Amazon saves you a bit on shipping ($5-$7)

http://www.amazon.com/Shockwave-Blade-Pistol-Stabilizer-PACKAGE/dp/B0109LY5AA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446333210&sr=8-2&keywords=kak+shockwave

Sold directly from KAK

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Does the blade need the KAK tube, or will a standard pistol tube do the trick?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It has a pretty beefy set screw, I think its 5/16 thread. The kak tube has a row of divots for the point to grab, so it only needs lightly tightened. Ive read about people denting their smooth buffer tube by tightening it too much And causing malfunctions.

Not sure what the wall thickness is on most tubes, but I'm sure you could drill a divot where you needed the set screw to seat so you didn't have to crank it down to keep it in place. I just bought the whole kit since I was starting from scratch.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
looking forward to at least one pistol build in the near future. Which would you suggest and why? Are there any buffer tubes that these don't play nicely with?
View Quote

I've got both.   I like the blade better, but they both have their advantages.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, a standard pistol buffer tube will work but the KAK tube is worth buying.  You can get the black blade from Schuyler for $30 plus shipping and buy just the tube or the tube, spring, buffer, end plate and castle nut from KAk and come out cheaper than buying all through Amazon or from KAK.  KAK will have a10% sale around Black Friday.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Sig is a HEAVY PIG!!! Plus I went with the "Correct Fitting" Phase 5 receiver extension, now I CAN'T GET THE DAMN SIG BRACE OFF OF THE EXTENSION!

The Shockwave Blade is CONSIDERABLY lighter, BUT use the recommended KAK receiver extension.
View Quote

This I have both prefer the blade with the KAK tube, due to the slimmer profile, lighter weight, and better looking.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#19]
padded buffer tube weighs less than both but doesn't quite give you the same feeling of defiance
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, a standard pistol buffer tube will work but the KAK tube is worth buying.  You can get the black blade from Schuyler for $30 plus shipping and buy just the tube or the tube, spring, buffer, end plate and castle nut from KAk and come out cheaper than buying all through Amazon or from KAK.  KAK will have a10% sale around Black Friday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC the KAK tube alone is only 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
padded buffer tube weighs less than both but doesn't quite give you the same feeling of defiance
View Quote

No buffer tube weighs even less...
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:35:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Love the blade with the kak tube, very solid setup. I'll be buying a few more.
View Quote

I have 2 Sig braces.

Bought a blade and KaK tube a few months ago, I'll be buying a few more!
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Of the two, I'd go blade. Of all the options out there, I went Thordson.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Preface: Been out of the loop for a while now...

What are the current standings, as far as "legality" goes, on both the SIG and the Blade?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What are the current standings, as far as "legality" goes, on both the SIG and the Blade?
View Quote

You cannot legally shoulder any brace.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Had the SigBrace and sold it after trying and buying the Blade with the KAK dimpled tube.  I saved a few bucks off the $95 combo from KAK because I had the buffer and spring already.  For what they are, soft and hard plastic gadgets, neither one is worth the price they're asking.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you shoulder it, it becomes an illegal SBR. You can place it against your cheek though just as long as you don't shoulder it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I have both, the sb15 feels better to me but both get the job done just fine. I would recommend the Shockwave brace for dedicated light weight builds or smaller calibers like 22lr and 9mm. For a full size rifle or anything with more recoil go with the sig brace IMO.

I will continue to buy both.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

use some frog lube.
put a little bit in. twist the brace & then pull.
it slides right off

i fold the edges of the SB15 in & then "tie" it all together with the velcro.
nice stubby little  "brace"

best of both worlds
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

use some frog lube.
it slides right off

best of both worlds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

use some frog lube.
it slides right off

best of both worlds

BMX rider trick: Stick an air nozzle from a compressor under the edge of the brace. It will slide off on a cushion of air with no mess
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
BMX rider trick: Stick an air nozzle from a compressor under the edge of the brace. It will slide off on a cushion of air with no mess
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

use some frog lube.

it slides right off

best of both worlds

Also a skinning trick.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Also a skinning trick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

use some frog lube.
it slides right off

best of both worlds

Also a skinning trick.

Yup. Like the BMXers, us mtn bikers do the same to remove grips off the handlebar. Works brilliantly.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#33]
To answer the OP, I just got a Blade and put it on a Kak tube. This is the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Check out the Thordson Custome cheek rest.
Better option than the dig brace or the blade." />

" />
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Personally... IMO.

Thordsen>Blade>>>Brace
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you shoulder it, it becomes an illegal SBR. You can place it against your cheek though just as long as you don't shoulder it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negatory.

It can be shouldered. It just cannot be FIRED from the shoulder (while committing a crime).
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#37]
That is the most confusing shit I have ever heard in my life. I think the general consensus is if that opinion letter were challenged in court it would be shot right out of the sky with all the holes in the ATF's logic. That being said are you willing the risk being the one to test that. It's very doubtful that the ATF would ever want to take it to court seeing that they would lose that argument. The opinion letter was meant to fear monger the general population into not building AR pistols anymore.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:35:32 AM EDT
[#38]
The ATF got caught with their pants down with their original approval letter included with the braces.  They created a pistol monster gaffe that clashes with the SBR definition, now they're scrambling with meaningless threats in order to save face.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#39]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I cannot decide between the Thordsen and the Shockwave..  Both look good!
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I cannot decide between the Thordsen and the Shockwave..  Both look good!
View Quote

The blade with kak tube is $70ish. About $10 cheaper and a simpler design. Also, the blade maintains a traditional AR profile.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I was thinking the Thordsen looked a bit more comfortable.   The blade does seem to get great reviews though!
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was thinking the Thordsen looked a bit more comfortable.   The blade does seem to get great reviews though!
View Quote

Comfortable for what?  Using the Blade or SIG as a cheek rest would be absurd.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I find the blade quite comfortable, when used properly. If you get my drift.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I find the blade quite comfortable, when used properly. If you get my drift.
View Quote

Pert sure I do.  I feel the same about my SBX which is much, umm, gentler than the Blade, especially on an AK, so worth the bit of extra bulk.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#46]
The Shockwave is great, but I'm thinking about stippling the trailing edge because it's a bit slippery when you shoulder it unintentionally.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, I decided to go with the Blade..  I ordered up the kit with everything.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top