Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2015 12:25:37 AM EDT
Hi Guys,

First time trying my hand at a pistol, it's a 300 BO with a 10.5 barrel pistol gas system.  With my other builds I have never had issues cycling but this one just can't get it going. Even with Rem factory loads no bolt hold open on the last round and my handloads that work fine in the 16" 300 BO will eject at about 5 o'clock but won't pick up the next round, factory ammo does strip off the next round though. So it looks to be short stroking.        

I have reviewed all the threads I could find and the gas system has been checked multiple times.  Gas block is aligned with the gas port, no obstructions.  Blow down the barrel with the extension plugged and air routes properly.  Gas tube seems to be aligned and if I take out the bolt the bolt carrier slips in fine and does not drag on the gas key. Even swapped out the buffer and buffer spring both which are standard carbine. Tried different mags no change and gas key seems tight and nothing odd (it's a toolcraft bcg)

Any suggestions to try and get this thing working right?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#1]
My pistol was doing the opposite and throwing brass to 1:30.  I slowed it down by installing a heavier buffer.  It sounds like you need to speed up your bolt a little.  Lacking a lighter buffer, if you have an extra buffer spring to sacrifice you can try snipping off 1 coil at a time and see if that improves cycling proportionally.  At least it will put you on the right track if that's the problem.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Carbine or pistol gas?  .300 works best with pistol gas.  You may need to open your gas port up some too.

You could also strip your buffer and remove the weights to get a lighter reciprocating mass.  Lightweight BCG or Taccom3g lightweight buffer system are other options, but those cost money.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Carbine or pistol gas?  .300 works best with pistol gas.  You may need to open your gas port up some too.

You could also strip your buffer and remove the weights to get a lighter reciprocating mass.  Lightweight BCG or Taccom3g lightweight buffer system are other options, but those cost money.
View Quote

Pistol, I just updated the post; that is what I was wonder on the port right now the size is .077 +/- .001. Saw that Tubbs has a lightweight buffer spring for the 300 BO's for around $25. Everything points to being undergassed.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd try the lighter buffer first.  Things may just need breaking in, once the parts wear against each other and smooth out it may be fine.  If it continues to act up, open up the gas port.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:26:13 AM EDT
[#5]
your gas hole needs to be more like .125
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#6]
300blk port size testing

this may help you figure out your needed port size
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Several companies are using smaller gas ports with good success on the .300 these days.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Several companies are using smaller gas ports with good success on the .300 these days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I am hearing as well, so trying to work out if I have something else wrong.  .125 seems large I might opt for .110 and see if that changes things.  I have asked a few other places what their gas port size is, most don't list the specs.    
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
300blk port size testing

this may help you figure out your needed port size
View Quote

Thanks.  I found that after posting last night, which made me question my build even more since they said .073 min, but also said the port was .086 and later ones were .093.  Even more confusing is an H2 buffer was used which would make my issues even worse.  

9.5 Barrel
Minimum Port Size Unsuppressed with Supersonic Ammo
Remington 115 Gr .073?
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I had short stroking issues with my 8" build in the beginning. Standard carbine buffer with a M16 bolt carrier. I soaked it down with oil and shot it soaking wet for about 50 rounds and have had no issues since.  It does have a .093 gas port though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had short stroking issues with my 8" build in the beginning. Standard carbine buffer with a M16 bolt carrier. I soaked it down with oil and shot it soaking wet for about 50 rounds and have had no issues since.  It does have a .093 gas port though.
View Quote

Have about 50 rounds into at this point trying different things.  Tried swapping out the Phase 5 tube for another pistol tube and swapped out the buffer and spring as well.  Still no luck, not even with the factory Rem ammo either. Trying to see what other 10.5 barrels are running for a gas port.  

According to this they got a 9.5" to run supers unsuppressed with a .073.

http://micromoa.com/300-blk-port-size-testing/
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm running an 8"barrel with .107"gas port and H2 buffer. Ran fine from the start. Ejects to 4 o'clock about 5' out with 110 gr Nosler. If removing weights from the buffer and running wet doesn't help, think about opening up the gas port to .093".
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#13]
see above..  gas port .125 for good cycling with everything
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:24:38 AM EDT
[#14]
A friend had the same issue with his 10.5". He had to manually cycle the BCG manually about 200 times after a real good clean and oil and it was enough to seat the gas rings. All functioned well after that.
Perhaps something to try first.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A friend had the same issue with his 10.5". He had to manually cycle the BCG manually about 200 times after a real good clean and oil and it was enough to seat the gas rings. All functioned well after that.
View Quote

And doesn't cost a dime to try.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
see above..  gas port .125 for good cycling with everything
View Quote

That was my initial thought as well but more reading on 300 BO forum suggests .125 would be over gassed for  10.5 barrel.  Ok for a 16". Maybe looking at a .100 to .105 port job.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

First time trying my hand at a pistol, it's a 300 BO with a 10.5 barrel pistol gas system.  With my other builds I have never had issues cycling but this one just can't get it going. Even with Rem factory loads no bolt hold open on the last round and my handloads that work fine in the 16" 300 BO will eject at about 5 o'clock but won't pick up the next round, factory ammo does strip off the next round though. So it looks to be short stroking.        

I have reviewed all the threads I could find and the gas system has been checked multiple times.  Gas block is aligned with the gas port, no obstructions.  Blow down the barrel with the extension plugged and air routes properly.  Gas tube seems to be aligned and if I take out the bolt the bolt carrier slips in fine and does not drag on the gas key. Even swapped out the buffer and buffer spring both which are standard carbine. Tried different mags no change and gas key seems tight and nothing odd (it's a toolcraft bcg)

Thanks.
View Quote

I've seen something similar when the front sight assembly was slightly too far forward.  It left part of the gas port covered but enough passed though where it wasn't obvious.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've seen something similar when the front sight assembly was slightly too far forward.  It left part of the gas port covered but enough passed though where it wasn't obvious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

Thanks.

Yep good point.  This one is pinned but it could be off from the shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between test firing and manual cycling i am probably sitting around that.  Did about another 50 this morning.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

Thanks.

Having dealt with a problem like this on my 10.25" upper, I'd probably try a different bolt/bolt carrier to hopefully eliminate that, then try another lower just to eliminate that since it's easy.   Assuming none of that worked I'd try a temporary gas block just to make sure the pinned one wasn't off.  I went through all of that on my 10.25 but ended up drilling it out since it was under sized...  
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Having dealt with a problem like this on my 10.25" upper, I'd probably try a different bolt/bolt carrier to hopefully eliminate that, then try another lower just to eliminate that since it's easy.   Assuming none of that worked I'd try a temporary gas block just to make sure the pinned one wasn't off.  I went through all of that on my 10.25 but ended up drilling it out since it was under sized...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing and just got back.  Here are the results.    BTW what was your port size and what size did you open to?  Was that a 300 BO as well?

Changed out the charging handle - no change (just eliminating items here)

Changed out to another pistol lower - no change

Changed to a used AIM nitride bolt - my handloads strips the next round no BHO on last round, Rem factory ammo strips next round and BHO last round

Changed to a used BCM bolt - same as the AIM BCG

So looks like the Toolcraft BCG is maybe too tight? The bolt was tight in the carrier when I got it had to cycle it to loosen up.  These are supposed to be good BCG's but my loads are 16.3 grains of H110 under a 150 FMJ which is on the hotter end of the load scale.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing and just got back.  Here are the results.    BTW what was your port size and what size did you open to?  Was that a 300 BO as well?

Changed to a used AIM nitride bolt - my handloads strips the next round no BHO on last round, Rem factory ammo strips next round and BHO last round

So looks like the Toolcraft BCG is maybe too tight? The bolt was tight in the carrier when I got it had to cycle it to loosen up.  These are supposed to be good BCG's but my loads are 16.3 grains of H110 under a 150 FMJ which is on the hotter end of the load scale.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine was a 5.56.  I went from .065 to what should be .09375 using a 3/32 cobalt bit from Sears.   I used M193 as my testing standard and tested it w/ Wolf when I got done to make sure it worked w/ the lighter stuff.  It was a used upper which I suspect had been cut down from a 16.   The previous owner had run it w/ a suppressor so it ran well for him.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top