Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 6:57:04 PM EDT
After impulse buying a couple Radical Firearms barrels this weekend (pistol gas length), I was hoping someone could provide input on the lowest cost option for a free-float handguard setup.  This will be for a pistol, and while pleasing aesthetics are nice to have, my primary objective is low cost followed by decent quality.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
On my pistol build I went with a cheap carbon fiber
Off of EBay and so far I like it, found it to be a little bit
Slick so I added 1/2 inch electrical knockout rubber
grommets kind like the "squid grip" that I've seen
On the net. (posting from my phone hope the link below
Works. Will add a photo of my pistol when I get home). And yes it easily fits over a low profile gas block.
" />

Carbon Fiber 7" inch Free Float Quad Rail Handguard w Barrel Nut End Cap | eBay
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271465013665?nav=SEARCH
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out Nordic Components. Thats what Ive been running. love them
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Find something that you like, and hack it up to make it work. Like this.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Mas Defense has several free-float options priced well below most of the pack.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the link - these seem in line with what I'm generally looking for.  The only question I'd have is how to tell if the handguard will fit over a lo-pro gas block?

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link - these seem in line with what I'm generally looking for.  The only question I'd have is how to tell if the handguard will fit over a lo-pro gas block?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive used two of what they call the Vector 7". The ones I used were bought off Amazon and under a different name but were obviously the exact same product. They will fit over a low pro block. no problem. They are really good rails at great value.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used this on 2 pistols. Needed a 4 rail handguard for the grip. Can't beat the price and they work just fine... free float and comes with a barrel nut too.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not free floated, but it is cheap. This is carbine length moe sl handguard on a 7.5" barrel with KX3.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've used this on 2 pistols. Needed a 4 rail handguard for the grip. Can't beat the price and they work just fine... free float and comes with a barrel nut too.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5590/15057091466_6911cd1533_b.jpg
View Quote

Excellent - that's exactly in the price range I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's not free floated, but it is cheap. This is carbine length moe sl handguard on a 7.5" barrel with KX3.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7717/17135046447_334e0ede4e_k.jpg
View Quote

How's that staying put if you're running a low-pro gas block without any type of retainer?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#12]
That 10" ALG V3 that I cut down and am making into a 8.2" V2.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How's that staying put if you're running a low-pro gas block without any type of retainer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The retainer is in there. I had to open it up to slide over the neck of the KX3 and rests against the body of the KX3.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#14]
That's pretty slick!  Unfortunately, I don't think that would work for my situation, as I'm using 10.5" and 8.5" barrels.

Quoted:

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7721/17188341827_b9c2c58773_k.jpg
The retainer is in there. I had to open it up to slide over the neck of the KX3 and rests against the body of the KX3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7721/17188341827_b9c2c58773_k.jpg

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

And it's ordered.  Rolling the dice on a $25 handguard doesn't seem like the worst thing I could do.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:42:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The barrel nut is AL so be careful to keep the wrench pressed tight to it when torquing so it doesn't damage it. One handguard had the nut messed up when I got it and the seller shipped another fast... no questions asked.

It should be fine. Post pics when you get it put together.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And it's ordered.  Rolling the dice on a $25 handguard doesn't seem like the worst thing I could do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks very similar to the ones I have for my AR Pistol builds only in longer lengths.  The only complaint I've got was that the anodizing doesn't match my upper and lower receivers all that well but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a coat of paint.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Just bought 2 for cheap builds I'm doing. Shipped from 5 minutes from my house and took 2 days to get here. Quality seems decent.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just bought 2 for cheap builds I'm doing. Shipped from 5 minutes from my house and took 2 days to get here. Quality seems decent.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought one 7.5" and one 10".  I'd agree that the quality seems decent, and exceeds my expectations for the price.  Then again, I've never understood how a mass-produced 12oz aluminum tube with some rails cut in it could ever cost more than $30.

I'll post pictures once I get the upper assembled this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]

I too purchased 2 of the 8 1/2" 1/7 HBAR 300 AAC barrels from Radical Firearms during their 50% off sale. 2 barrels shipped for $122.90  Barrels look good, threads seem to be concentric to the bore and rifling looks clean.

This is my cheap build:

Anderson Lower $39.99

Anderson Upper $39.99

PSA LPK minus trigger $24.99

Rail $24.99

Radical Firearms Barrel $59.95

RRA Pistol Extension $25

So far I've spent: $215

Still need:

BCG

Charging Handle

Buffer

Spring

Trigger

Upper Parts Kit

Flash Suppressor
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

well I would stay away from that ebay seller.
I just left my first negative feedback in 16 years of using ebay.
they gave me a tracking number the day after my purchase that never had the item shipped.
took days to respond to my questions about the dead tracking number.  
'gave me a new tracking number for a supposed second shipment and that one never got shipped.
so fuck that guy . .. turns out he has a lot of recent negative feedback.  also opened an paypal claim for a refund.

any other sellers have similar items that are not asshats?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

they gave me a tracking number the day after my purchase that never had the item shipped.
'gave me a new tracking number for a supposed second shipment and that one never got shipped.
so fuck that guy . .. turns out he has a lot of recent negative feedback.  also opened an paypal claim for a refund.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I bought a 10" and a 7.5" rail from this seller.  The 7.5" rail meets my expectations, but the 10" has a noticeable upwards slant to it.  I realize that any free-float system is going to have some level of imperfection, but the upwards slant is almost to the level where it irks my OCD.  I emailed the seller, but haven't heard back from him, as I was hoping to exchange the barrel nut, or see if he'd sell me just that part alone.  For reference sake, I tried the barrel nut on several different receivers, so unless I happen to have a bunch of uppers that all need to be lapped, I have to assume it's the barrel nut causing the issue.

Would I buy from him again?  Probably.  For $27, the 7.5" tube is a darn good deal, and I think it's short enough to hide any type of angle imperfection.

I'll try to get pics up at some point.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I think those are AR soft quad rails
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I was in the same boat as the OP.  radical pistol length barrel - waned cheap but effective handguard.  I went with this one from ebay.

It was just $45, and is the basic UTG style.  You can find similar for under $35 for basic free float quad rails.  They work and have held up under thousands of rounds in other builds.  Not the highest end of quality, but they work and are indeed inexpensive.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top