BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2015 2:11:40 PM EDT
Update: I finally took the pistol with the blade attached out and put a few rounds down range. I had a minor little hiccup with the device but it was my own fault.

Check it all out here:

Video: Shockwave Blade Review pt. 2

The Shockwave Blade it very very comfortable to shoot with....

As usual, let me know if you have any questions or need any other information.

Thanks!!

========================

I just got my brace in the mail yesterday - about $54 shipped.

I gotta say, I am impressed with it. Having checked out the Sig braces (and their prices), the Shockwave brace is the way to go.

It's lighter, cheaper, and has a better cosmetic quality.

Video review: Shockwave Brace Video Review

Original Pistol Build Thread: 7.5" Pistol Build

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Here are some pics:

*DISCLAIMER* I did not purchase the brace with the intention of shouldering the weapon once the brace was installed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Will this fit on a mil spec tube?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will this fit on a mil spec tube?
View Quote

Absolutely not.

And mine should be here today
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Great vid, almost a felony, twice, jeepers!  Loved it.

- OS
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Does not look as comfortable to shoot "properly" as the sig brace.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Regardless of how it works or is used, it sure looks the tits.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Now if they would have thought outside the box pertaining to the set screw, that would have been a prime candidate for the Grov-tec threaded qd socket instead of using a standard set screw.  That set-screw wouldn't happen to be 9/16th's is it?
Grov-Tec
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Sorry, but what is the point of that?  A little bit of lateral stability?   The sig brace at least really braced your arm if you were going to shoot it one handed

Seems like they are pushing there luck with this "brace", I wouldnt want to be caught with it on my pistol, because it looks like a half ass stock.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Does the set screw tighten directly against the buffer tube? Or is there another piece it screws against for pressure to hold it in place. Worried about the screw marring the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Now you need an Umbrella hand grip. It has less angle to it and works better on pistols.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I got mine yesterday. I'm surprised it did not come supplied with velcro straps. Nonetheless, it looks much better than the SB15 I have now.
To the OP, what tube are you using?

Had a major chuckle from the video at the 3:12 mark.  Nice vid.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does the set screw tighten directly against the buffer tube? Or is there another piece it screws against for pressure to hold it in place. Worried about the screw marring the buffer tube.
View Quote

Yes, the set screw tightens directly against the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw it tight then loosen it and remove, take a drill and make a nice little divot at the mark for the set screw to really bite!  Just like many do for gas blocks.

Would also venture to guess that a short strap similar to the Sig's would work nicely for one handed operation.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Sold me on one
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Haha, "isis dead, isis dead"....nice review
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I gotta say, I am impressed with it. Having checked out the Sig braces (and their prices), the Shockwave brace is the way to go.

It's lighter, cheaper, and has a better cosmetic quality...
View Quote

I'll second this. Ordered one to check it out; got it, liked it and promptly ordered two more.

Great vid Mulholland.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the love on the video, guys!

I had fun making the second half of it.

I'm working on answering all the questions so far and will put them all into one post.

--

This brace really is the shit, though. Looks great, feels great, very lightweight, and polishes off the look of the pistol.

I wasn't happy with just the tube sticking out the back and the Sig brace is just so bulky and expensive.

I think this brace will be quite durable and even if you did somehow manage to bust it or break it, they're only 50 bucks...
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#17]
mine was delayed getting to me because of weather but should be at my house when i get home
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
mine was delayed getting to me because of weather but should be at my house when i get home
View Quote

Same for me.."sniff sob".. Estimated delivery was 2 days ago... Still out there somewhere. Mine is the FDE color. Will be interesting to see it in that color.

The end
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the love on the video, guys!

I had fun making the second half of it.

I'm working on answering all the questions so far and will put them all into one post.

--

This brace really is the shit, though. Looks great, feels great, very lightweight, and polishes off the look of the pistol.

I wasn't happy with just the tube sticking out the back and the Sig brace is just so bulky and expensive.

I think this brace will be quite durable and even if you did somehow manage to bust it or break it, they're only 50 bucks...
View Quote

I agree it does look better than just a bare buffer tube.

After the sig brace fiasco, I am sort of hesitant to use another brace.

Has the ATF commented on this design or use?

... and no I am not going to write them a letter asking what they think.

thanks

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#20]
If you look on the web page they specify that they have ATF letter.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#21]
They have an ATF letter stating approval.  That's all you really need to know.  The law states we can put it on the tube and use it however we want.  No need to ask questions or get clarification.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They have an ATF letter stating approval.  That's all you really need to know.  The law states we can put it on the tube and use it however we want.  No need to ask questions or get clarification.
View Quote

The letter for it seems quite clear that they consider shouldering it as unlawful.

- OS
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:40:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The letter for it seems quite clear that they consider shouldering it as unlawful.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

The opinion letter is still JUST the opinion of some mid-level bureaucrat, not the ATF at large. It's only as meaningful as his opinion is to everyone else in the ATF.

Even when the previous letter was released, stating that shouldering the brace does not alter the status of the firearm, any ATF agent could still arrest someone for the perceived crime.

The difference comes down to what the agent's superiors decide, and then what the ATF Prosecutor decides to do. And frankly, if an ATF prosecutor chooses to pursue their "use dictates definition" BS, they'll be humiliated in court, as no Judge in his right mind would rule in their favor. The case would be thrown out.

Getting back on topic, OP, how solid is the Shockwave? Is it less likely to move than a sig brace on a KAK tube?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the review. My only beef with mine is that once you set the screw, you will have issues if you have to pogo the pistol to get a round out.  At least that is my perception.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#25]
got mine yesterday and im pretty happy with it. waiting for some parts to get finished cerakoted for my 10.5. need to figure out if im gonna use the shockwave or the sig on this build
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Fwiw, the FDE version. Its about 1/8th"-ish shorter then the Sig. Represented by the small gap in front of the brace on this 1st gen KAK tube. Otherwise that much will stick out the back. Its also much MUCH looser on the tube. So much, that it needed 4-5 layers of tape to make it good and snug before using the allen stop bolt. I have some FDE carbine hand guards coming. Couldn't bring myself to painting it OD as soon as I got it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#27]
^^I like your pistol. Mine has an A2 style upper.

Debated buying this stabilizer, but I've found stabilizing with a sling (over the shooting shoulder and bracing outward) works good enough for now. Maybe I'll get one later.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does not look as comfortable to shoot "properly" as the sig brace.
View Quote

Works fine. :)

Quoted:
Now if they would have thought outside the box pertaining to the set screw, that would have been a prime candidate for the Grov-tec threaded qd socket instead of using a standard set screw.  That set-screw wouldn't happen to be 9/16th's is it?
Grov-Tec
View Quote

I'm not sure what you mean by 9/16ths... ?

It screws in with a 5/32" Allen; as far as thread pitch etc. I'm not sure but can try to find out for you.

Quoted:
I got mine yesterday. I'm surprised it did not come supplied with velcro straps. Nonetheless, it looks much better than the SB15 I have now.
To the OP, what tube are you using?

Had a major chuckle from the video at the 3:12 mark.  Nice vid.
View Quote

I'm using a PSA Pistol Buffer Tube. It was $24.99.

---

Let me know if I can answer any other questions or if you'd like additional pictures.

I haven't taken it off and looked at the buffer tube yet but I can post a pic of that if you're interested.

I haven't shot with it yet but will post the video when I do.

And again, thanks for the love on the video!! :)
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Updated first post with part 2 of the video review.

I do a little shooting with the brace attached.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

No sights??
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Do you by any chance know the internal diameter of the brace?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No sights??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No sights??

SIGHTS?!

Sights are for pussies.

Ha ha. Just kidding of course. I said at some point in an earlier video that I will be getting sights for it -- still had snow on the ground when the video was shot. Sights currently being sourced. :)

This was filmed on private property going directly into a hill.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Just for info Ky Gun Co. has these braces on sale for $39.00.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just for info Ky Gun Co. has these braces on sale for $39.00.
View Quote

Main page lists them at 39.99, but item page and cart price is 48.95

ETA; Free shipping though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I installed the blade on my pistol, its got a Phase 5 tube ( 1.25''diameter) it mounted with very little play before I tightened the set screw.  Once tightened its very solid. Not bulky and it works well with one hand if you use a sling with it as described on their site. Anyone wanna buy a very lightly used SB15 for cheap? lol...
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I installed the blade on my pistol, its got a Phase 5 tube ( 1.25''diameter) it mounted with very little play before I tightened the set screw.  Once tightened its very solid. Not bulky and it works well with one hand if you use a sling with it as described on their site. Anyone wanna buy a very lightly used SB15 for cheap? lol...
View Quote

Great, I have a phase 5 myself.  Is it good enough to just go ahead and order one now or shall I wait until a gen2 blade brace comes out?  Is there gap between the hex5 portion of the tube and the face of the blade like the picture above?

Where did you order yours?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Have u guys seen this one? Looks pretty good for 20 bucks and its made for the blade specific..

link

Found it on ar15news this morning had an article about it

http://www.ar15news.com/
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Have u guys seen this one? Looks pretty good for 20 bucks and its made for the blade specific..

link

Found it on ar15news this morning had an article about it

http://www.ar15news.com/
View Quote

Anybody know of a discount code?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Be easy enough to dimple your own tube.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Does anyone know if the new KAK tube is extended length like the sig tube?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#42]
It looks like it doesn't need the shoulder or rings like the Sig tube.  You use the dimples in the bottom and the set screw in the shockwave to set the length.  They have some pics on their website showing the range of adjustment on the stripped tube page
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#43]
if its not as long than ita Pistol with a 10.5" barrel wont be 26" so no front grip?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Thats depends on the buffer tube, not the brace.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#45]
I know it's not an AR but I figured I'd share my shockwave on my M92
So much better than the SB47 I had, probably going to switch to a folding adapter
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#46]
AR Pistol with Shockwave Blade Stabilizer

With mk18 Clone

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thats what I'm asking are the tubes the same length
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry. Misunderstood.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Got mine installed.  What a difference!  I'm going to pick up a couple more for various builds.

ETA; added a picture.  The upper is an Anderson sport upper, not as purple to the eye in normal daylight.  I'm looking for a different rail, one with a topr rail only.  Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I just bought one to try on my phase5 buffer tube excited to give me it a try.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top