Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 7:31:49 PM EDT
I am building a 300blk pistol and I have the dpms lo pro and a standard A2 upper receiver. I like the lo pro but its got no forward assist.
I never ever have used the forward assist on any AR15 or M16 I have ever used but its there just in case.
so do I really need the forward assist on the 300blk?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think the serve much purpose truthfully, but to me it just doesn't look right without it unless you have a slickside lower also.

I do suppose if you NEEDED it, you would be glad it was there, it's not like they hurt anything.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've gotten rid of every upper I owned that had a forward assist and replaced them all with slicksides.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Only seen one used once.........silly guy at the range puled out his buffer n spring (forgot somehow) then put the upper on and pulled back the bolt into the empty tube. It was very odd to see. I told him to use forward assist to get the bolt back "out" and it worked. He was new to ARs so I was nice about it (but inside it was super funny).
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Some claim it can be used to quietly load the rifle in the field when hunting. That implies they were walking into their stand unloaded - or actually hunt that way. Same for the "tactical" application of "silent loading" having approached a sentry.

It's largely internet fantasy, if you leave the wire you are locked and loaded, if you leave the parking lot at the hunting area you could well jump game within 50 yards

The  FA wasn't part of the original design that Stoner gave Armalite. That was added by request of Command after Colt was already making them, because that generation of Commanders was raised on bolt actions and the fixed handle on the operating rod of the Garand. Self loading actions are not the same as manual ones.

Do we use Forward Assists on handguns? Nope, we slingshot the slide - it's the recommended method to reliably load and lock the chamber. Same with the AR, the bolt carrier has a high weight ratio over the bolt (more than the Garand) and if it won't feed and chamber a round, Something Is Wrong.

As many will witness, jamming the round into the chamber when it won't already go means Making Things Worse.

So, for the most part, it's dead weight, as is the deflector never originally part of the design. If the BCG is locked back, all the force that is needed is already stored in the action spring, and all you need to do is release it.

Which is why slickside uppers still sell. What is disappointing is that  A3 uppers are made in such larger quantities they are half or less the price. With that in hand, it's more a matter of a forced choice - accept the compromises of Command, who have no business butting into weapons design, and pay less, or pay a premium  to own the original.

In this case it's not a major problem, unlike a previous choice in camo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think its necessary. The bolt carrier already has a nice place for the thumb to do the same job
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I like having it. Mostly because it looks very odd without it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#7]
It adds weight and a protrusion for a function that was not part of the original intended design, and wasn't a welcomed improved to the design by the inventor.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Hypothetical: Your charging handle gets caught on your gear and pulls the bolt partially out of battery. Are you going to rack that round out and start off down a round? Or would you rather just tap it back into battery.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:10:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hypothetical: Your charging handle gets caught on your gear and pulls the bolt partially out of battery. Are you going to rack that round out and start off down a round? Or would you rather just tap it back into battery.
View Quote

Pull it back a half and inch and let it forward. Right back into battery. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I have only used my hunting, despite internet fantasy.  When your walking into your hunting area prior to legal shooting time, if your loaded and are lucky enough to get stopped by the FWC  they will write you a lovely ticket or two.  One of which will likely be poaching and if they want they can take your weapon and more. But is it really needed no, that is what the cut-out is for on bcg.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Some claim it can be used to quietly load the rifle in the field when hunting.

<SNIP>
View Quote

This is the only time I've ever used it.   Sometime if I'm going in early to the stand I will slowly charge the rifle after I've climbed the tree, then hit the FA a few times to assure I'm good to go.......other than that it's useless.
No internet sentry stalking fantasies here.    

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Pull it back a half and inch and let it forward. Right back into battery. You're welcome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just push the carrier forward through the ejection port.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have only used my hunting, despite internet fantasy.  When your walking into your hunting area prior to legal shooting time, if your loaded and are lucky enough to get stopped by the FWC  they will write you a lovely ticket or two.  One of which will likely be poaching and if they want they can take your weapon and more. But is it really needed no, that is what the cut-out is for on bcg.
View Quote

I am starting to suspect that you have to be on crack to be in Florida. Just such a weird state.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that *really* works well when the carrier is hot from shooting.  Make mine with a FA.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am starting to suspect that you have to be on crack to be in Florida. Just such a weird state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fucking game wardens are nut's down here, I've seen them hiding in bushes and shit just waiting to give someone a hard time.  Love to get the hell out of here, it's a waiting game for now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't need the dust cover either.  Love these uppers.  They were $39.95 a week or two ago.  Still a good deal.

http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/lightweight-sport-upper-these-upper-receivers-do-not-have-forward-assist-or-ejection-port-cover-capabilities/
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't need the dust cover either.  Love these uppers.  They were $39.95 a week or two ago.  Still a good deal.

http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/lightweight-sport-upper-these-upper-receivers-do-not-have-forward-assist-or-ejection-port-cover-capabilities/
View Quote

I had seen those too, and my first thought was why in the hell does it have the relieved spot in the ejection port where a cover would click closed.  Kinda ruins the lines of the port.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]
They are useful.  Are they used much?  Probably not but would you rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I had seen those too, and my first thought was why in the hell does it have the relieved spot in the ejection port where a cover would click closed.  Kinda ruins the lines of the port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old picture.  They don't have the relief for the port latch.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Since I've actually used a Forward Assist in a time of need, I won't purchase or own an AR15 pattern firearm without one.

Better to have it & not need it then to not have it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:51:04 AM EDT
[#22]
"Have it and not need it" is just an excuse - you could say the same thing about a bowling ball.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"Have it and not need it" is just an excuse - you could say the same thing about a bowling ball.
View Quote

You can't be serious..... with that logic, why carry a gun? I mean 95% have never even had to put their hand on it.

Just touch that bolt with your firger after firing. I fuckin double dog dare ya!! I mean how much weight are you really saving at the end of the day anyways by using a slickside? An ounce? 2? 3?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Whats going on man, Im a new member here and new to the AR Pistol game but not to ARs in general. I carried an M4 while in the military and personally never had a need to use the forward assist. That is not saying its worthless but to me I would rather have a upper that doesnt have an forward assist.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Gene Stoner didn't need a forward assist.  That's good enough for me.

http://weaponsman.com/?p=329

Watch Jerry shoot one of those old guns without a forward assist.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/07/jerry-miculek-shoots-original-full-auto-ar-10-from-the-fifties/

Reed Knight doesn't need one either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_Semi-Automatic_Sniper_System
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#27]
95% of Americans don't carry a gun every day, if ever.

Some of us do, but I don't carry a 3x9 variable on my P938, or half a dozen magazines either.

On the other hand, I do carry a pocket knife and get asked to loan it almost daily - because most people don't want their image compromised by having a "deadly" weapon on them. And no, I don't loan it. I hand over the nearest pair of scissors and you know what I get? "I can't adjust my carburetor/take off a hose clamp/pry off a connector with that!"

in general the public doesn't know what the right tool even should be used. And when Army Command was handed the M16, a lot of non combat decision makers with nothing more than an annual qualification with the M1/M14 said, "OMG it doesn't have a fixed bolt handle!" Which implies they had no clue about arms design.

The HK91/G3 predates the AR and has only a charging handle, same with the FNFAL. Nobody claims it's a major problem, where are the band aid kits to fix them as they are so horribly deficient and will get you killed in battle!

Much ado about nothing as the average buyer will pay less to get an A3 upper with deflector and FA. Why? Because he will pay less, and that is why they sell. Put slicksides on it priced $20 under and would they? If you could get uppers for $39 with just the port cover and A3 rail they would sell out. In fact Anderson did exactly that.

S&W is selling their M&P15 for $599, fine rifle and they aren't slow sellers. No FA. It's a redundant and mostly useless device that only aggravates a misfeed that should be cleared first and another new round chambered. If you are not shooting military crimped ammo, jamming the bullet into the chamber could very well compress it into the powder charge and that is a known recipe for disaster, especially for hot loads on hot days.

Forward Assists don't have as many benefits as downsides and it goes to a committee decision making at levels with no subject matter expertise. Which again, is exactly how we got the ACU camo.

At least the FA isn't as equally stupid and you don't have to use it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What are these downsides that outweigh the benefits of putting a round into battery regardless of the weapon's condition?
View Quote

Well, it is one more thing to break.  And I've seen them do just that.

Never had one put the gun into battery, though. I had a rifle full of sand in Kuwait and the FA wouldn't close the bolt.  Trust me, I tried!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#30]
If you don't like the forward assist then get a gun without it.

I personally have on one every AR i have and have used them for what they were designed to do, if a round don't go into battery all the way due to any number of reasons then palm that little button and problem solved most of the time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you don't like the forward assist then get a gun without it.

I personally have on one every AR i have and have used them for what they were designed to do, if a round don't go into battery all the way due to any number of reasons then palm that little button and problem solved most of the time.
View Quote

Proper manual of arms for a round that does not fully chamber (for whatever reason) is to eject round and load another, rather than forcing the round into the chamber.

You say it solves the problem "most of the time." What happened to those other times?I would rather eject the round and solve/assess the issue, rather than potentially make a bad situation worse.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or a first aid kit, or a fire extinguisher, or a gun?  I built my pistol as an HD piece first and pig/deer getter second.  If you check a chamber and slowly ride the CH home in an effort to be quiet, the bolt often, especially on newer guns, doesn't go fully into battery.  Anytime I do that it's automatic for me to pump the FA a couple of times to ensure that it is all the way in.  Stealth is important in hunting animals AND bad guys.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You say it solves the problem "most of the time." What happened to those other times?I would rather eject the round and solve/assess the issue, rather than potentially make a bad situation worse.
View Quote

In a perfect world, there would be no need for a FA.  

But I had an M16A2 jam on me because of some dirt/sand that got into the action via the ejection port (Somalia, 1992).  A couple of hits to the FA got my rifle up and running again.  Problem was caused by too much CLP coupled with too much dirt/dust/sand; so ejecting the round didn't clear it.  

So while I'll probably never be in a similar situation ever again, I still refuse to buy or own an AR15 style firearm without a Forward Assist.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#34]
And I've seen a forward assist break and completely lock up the gun.  So I'll do without them thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#35]
If a forward assist was not needed then why the hell did they invent it and make it part of the weapon?

i have had to use it my 300AAC due to me putting to much crimp on the shells so they were sticking going into battery, not bad but just enough to need a little help on a few.
I learned my lesson fired off all the reloads and next time i didn't crimp them as much.

Back in the 80's when i carried a M16A1 i remember using the forward assist a few times when firing a dirty weapon that i spent the day dragging it around in the woods and low crawling in a fucking mud hole.

Some people will always cry its not needed thats fine if they don't like them then don't get them on their guns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If a forward assist was not needed then why the hell did they invent it and make it part of the weapon?

i have had to use it my 300AAC due to me putting to much crimp on the shells so they were sticking going into battery, not bad but just enough to need a little help on a few.
I learned my lesson fired off all the reloads and next time i didn't crimp them as much.

Back in the 80's when i carried a M16A1 i remember using the forward assist a few times when firing a dirty weapon that i spent the day dragging it around in the woods and low crawling in a fucking mud hole.

Some people will always cry its not needed thats fine if they don't like them then don't get them on their guns.
View Quote

Because you have non-engineers making decisions.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#39]
$89 problem solved.. and its a SUPER nice upper anyway!

Joe Bob Spartan

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lol.

Engineers always have all of the answers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because you have non-engineers making decisions.  

Lol.

Engineers always have all of the answers.

They generally do.  Grunt genius is few and far between regardless of how romantic that may be.  Bean counters and blowhards are no better.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I work for a firm that does a lot of engineering.

A lot of our success is having smarter engineers than other people do.

Which, believe it or not, isn't that hard.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I like having it. Mostly because it looks very odd without it.
View Quote

i feel the opposite. i think they look quite odd with having something hanging out the right side.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I work for a firm that does a lot of engineering.

A lot of our success is having smarter engineers than other people do.

Which, believe it or not, isn't that hard.
View Quote

^^  This!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#44]
When you need it you need it. I've needed it. LOL
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I've had a few press checks that didn't seat all the way,

I'll take mine with.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've had a few press checks that didn't seat all the way,

I'll take mine with.
View Quote

I've also had a few press checks that didn't seat all the way.

I used my thumb to push the bolt through the ejection port.

I'll take mine without.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top