Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2014 9:26:05 PM EDT
Well, I took advantage of the fire sale on the EE of the 7.5" 6.8 SPC pistol barrels.  I have the barrel in hand and all the necessary parts for the build except for the pistol length gas tube and plan on starting the build soon.  I still need a FH and was hopping to use my 30 cal BABC but realized these barrels are threaded 1/2 x 28 which is the thread usually found on the 5.56 rifles.  The thread pitch WAS mentioned in the EE ad, but I didn't think it would be a problem.  Now I see it is. I have started looking around for a 30 cal FH with 1/2 x 28 threads similar to the KKX PIG.  Fortunately, I have an extra 30 cal GEMTECH FH purchased a few months back for use with my Quicksand on one of my AR-15s.  I can use that FH for this build but I think it will still be noisy and produce a big flash. I would really prefer something like the PIG or the BABC.  Does anyone know of a 30 cal FH besides the Gemtech that is more like the PIG or BABC with the 1/2 x 28 threads?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these barrels coming also.   The two options I have found is get a thread adapter from Brownell that takes you from the 1/2 to 5/8.   Or get the following with was made for the 7.62 but has the adapter already installed.  http://www.maddogweapons.com/store/p134/Black_River_Tactical_Covert_Comp_-_"5.56"%2C_1%2F2-28_Thread%2C_Fluted.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I thought about the thread adapter also but wasn't sure how well it would work on the 6.8. Since I already have the 30 cal BABC, it would be the less expensive option. I'll look at the other option you mentioned also.  ADDED:  I went ahead and ordered the shoulder less thread adapter from Brownells since it will give me more flexibility should I decide to get a different FH/compensator.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
What flash hider do you want to use?

You can probably bore out a 5.56 suppressor to pass the 6.8.  Some probably won't even need bored out.  Brakes are more likely to have a tight fit.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I already have a 30 cal suppressor I could use--the Gemtech Quicksand--but I understand they shouldn't be used with a barrel this short, plus it would double the length of the barrel. I was looking for something to direct sound from the shooter, something like the Pig which seems to be getting good reviews.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
This should work for you:

http://www.kineti-tech.com/create-a-2-piece-muzzle-brake-cucussion-sound-redirector/

They use a 5/16 through hole, so .312, it shouldn't have any problems with .277 projectiles.  Works as a muzzle brake, then has attachable can for redirecting flash and concussion.  Available with 1/2x28 threads.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The Noveske Kx3 in 1/2x28 will work fine. I have one on a 9mm SBR. An entire 9mm cartridge will drop clean through the thing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.kineti-tech.com/create-a-2-piece-muzzle-brake-cucussion-sound-redirector/

They use a 5/16 through hole, so .312, it shouldn't have any problems with .277 projectiles.  Works as a muzzle brake, then has attachable can for redirecting flash and concussion.  Available with 1/2x28 threads.

View Quote

This was going to be my suggestion as well.

I have the 30 cal 5/8 -24 on my 6.8 and like the way it functions and diverts the blast forward with little change to the recoil when the shroud is on. A lot of people complain the bore size is too large for the 223. Should be just right for the 6.8.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the link! I picked up one of these barrels as well, going to give this brake a shot. Could always ream it out if its too tight
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey, I fell for that deal in the EE too.

My research turned up several 1/2 28 flash hiders for 6.8 from midwayusa.  Although, I'm thinking of milling out a 556 A2 flash hider to keep this build on the cheap.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top