BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2014 9:19:37 AM EDT
I just read the following article and it got me thinking.  Would you still buy a AR pistol if you couldn't shoulder the SB-15?  I'm not trying to panic anyone since I have a pistol and a Sig Brace as well.  I'm actually concerned about a reversal on any ATF decision.  However, when I thought about it from a practicality standpoint, I would still purchase one all over again.  With or without the brace, I would build more AR pistols.  To me, it;s fun to own, shoot and it's really just a slap in the face to the stupid SBR ruling anyway.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/2014/11/19/could-this-mean-the-end-of-the-sig-brace/

Oh, what would we all do with our current braces if the decision WAS reversed?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope. They let me do all sorts of fun builds with all sorts of guns and I'd just be sticking to SBRs if they were kaput.

How many are in circulation now though? I can't imagine the ATF even beginning to make an effort to track them all down like the akins, not that they'd have to. The backlash would be massive.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, having just read the response letter, I know exactly what 'firearm' they submitted for inquiry.
I've been planning it since April and tossed the idea to serbu and black aces but never heard anything back. Classy.

At least I've got my answer from the ATF, no shouldering but otherwise okay.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, the article itself might be a scare or worry for some.  I for one do not believe the ATF will reverse the decision.  But, my hypothetical side got me when I thought about not being able to use it.  I do not know anything about the weapon they submitted for approval with the brace.

I was at the range just last night, shooting my AR pistol with Sig Brace, with a smile on my face the entire time!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I had AR pistols before the brace came out.  They're not pistols if they're designed to be shouldered.        

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#6]
No, this will not affect AR pistols.  It doesn't have anything to do with AR pistols.

A shotgun with a barrel <18" is illegal with or without a Sig brace (unless registered as AOW).

There is no such thing as a "shotgun pistol."  You're comparing apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#7]
An AR pistol has a receiver extension. With or without the brace it can be "shouldered".

The shotgun has no need for a receiver extension, so I can see how the only purpose is to add a stock like device.

Come on... the shotgun application was pushing it pretty far.

Do any of you think the ATF would approve one on a Ruger Charger?????
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
If I can't strap one to my arm I don't want one
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, this will not affect AR pistols.  It doesn't have anything to do with AR pistols.

A shotgun with a barrel <18" is illegal with or without a Sig brace (unless registered as AOW).

There is no such thing as a "shotgun pistol."  You're comparing apples to oranges.
View Quote
A shotgun is defines as having a buttstock, it is not a shotgun if it doesn't have a buttstock.  It may be an AOW if the firearm is under 26" in length or concealed.  Their are ATF letters stating a 12ga firearm without a shoulder stock, over 26" in length and a barrel under 18" are not an AOW or a short barrel shotgun.

My opinion is they are categorically a DD because they have a bore over .5"

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

An AR pistol has a receiver extension. With or without the brace it can be "shouldered".

The shotgun has no need for a receiver extension, so I can see how the only purpose is to add a stock like device.

Come on... the shotgun application was pushing it pretty far.

Do any of you think the ATF would approve one on a Ruger Charger?????
View Quote
Yes, as long as it's not designed or intended to be shoulder fired it's legal.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Seeing that the brace was designed for "pistols" would attaching the brace to an AR with OAL of >26" be wrong/forbidden? My pistol is 25.25" without flash hider, and if I were to install a KAK tube, I assume oal would be 26+.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

this is an actual pic of the submitted "firearm"
View Quote

So apparently this genius was wanting them to say yes to a *non-NFA* AOW/SBS with Sig brace and VFG.  Wow.  Talk about swinging for the fences.

While you're at it, might as well ask for approval on a non-NFA auto sear and a 40mm launcher for it too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes I would. Actually took the Sig Brace off my pistol and did the Thordsen/ CAA saddle combo. Like it better than the Sig Brace.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Morons like that idiotic company make things worse for everybody...I feel like spamming that moron's FB page...
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Morons like that idiotic company make things worse for everybody...I feel like spamming that moron's FB page...
View Quote
Your ill-will is misguided.  ATF wrote the response and Congress wrote the unconstitutional laws.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Max Kingery doesn't have much of a grasp on the law.  That letter is a mess.  He probably should be replaced, thank goodness he's just "acting director".  He's way over his head.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Max Kingery doesn't have much of a grasp on the law.  That letter is a mess.  He probably should be replaced, thank goodness he's just "acting" director".  He's way over his head.
View Quote
He should have just pointed out its a Destructive Device:

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term "Destructive Device” means:

• A missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than 1/4 oz.

• Any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which
    may readily be converted to expel a projectile, by the action of an
    explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a
    bore greater than one-half inch in diameter.

• A combination of parts designed and intended for use in
    converting a device into a destructive device and from which a
    destructive device can be readily assembled.

Exemptions:

• A shotgun or shotgun shell which is
    determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as
    particularly suitable for sporting purposes.

• a device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon,

• a device which is designed or redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line-throwing, safety, or similar device,

• surplus ordnance sold, loaded, or given by the Secretary of the
    Army pursuant to law such as antique, obsolete bronze or iron cannon,

• a device which the Attorney General determines is not likely to be used as a weapon.

• An antique firearm, or

• a rifle which the owner intended to use solely for sporting purposes.

The firearm has a bore over .5" and is not a shotgun because it does not have a buttstock.  Without a buttstock (part of the federal definition of a shotgun) it doesn't have an exemption from DD status.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Your ill-will is misguided.  ATF wrote the response and Congress wrote the unconstitutional laws.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong...I fully believe the SBR laws (and many other firearm laws for that matter) are highly unconstitutional...but for the moment, we have to live under them.

Poking the skunk necessarily because you're busy making gimmicky firearms designed for basement dwelling Call of Duty players is another.

Screw with the ATF long enough and they will ban hammer everyone. Crap requests like that only point it out. Clearly, no one can use a pump shotgun with one arm. Looking at that thing, the ONLY purpose for the SIG brace is to shoulder the thing. If you strapped that firearm to your one good arm, you'd get a whopping one shot out of it before you had to ask someone to unstrap it from your arm...so you could pump the action.

Blatant misuse crap like that are what makes them just flat out ban it...
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes I had. Pistol AR before the brace came out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I would now that I've owned one, but I bought the pistol because of the brace in the first place.

If they do reverse the decision, I'll probably replace the brace with a saddle for my trunk gun.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
For everyone getting all hot and bothered over this, let me explain the logic.

According to the ATF, a shotgun is designed to be fired from the shoulder. This means that if it comes from the factory without a stock it is not legally a shotgun but rather a 'firearm' and by extension it cannot be a SBS. Typically this would leave a <18" barreled 12ga as an AOW, however the ATF defines an AOW as concealable (under 26" in OAL) or being actively concealed on the person. This meaning that, if said 12ga 'firearm' has an OAL of over 26" it remains a title I firearm and non-NFA. Read more on the subject here: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=438. The concept is the same as all y'alls AR 'firearms' over 26" OAL with VFGs, or just the XO-26.

Typically this is done with a mossberg 500, 14" barrel, and birdshead grip. But I thought, why not add more to the back and take off from the front? Mounting a buffer tube/brace contributes to the OAL measurements meaning more can be drawn back from the barrel length. All of this was congruent with previously established ATF rulings and still is, just you can't shoulder the thing now. Given it's a 'firearm' and not a pistol the previous ATF ruling of "shouldering a pistol is wrong but legal" cannot be cited. I wonder if the braced VFG AR 'firearms' will be treated the same.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

According to the ATF, a shotgun is designed to be fired from the shoulder. This means that if it comes from the factory without a stock it is not legally a shotgun but rather a 'firearm' and by extension it cannot be a SBS. Typically this would leave a <18" barreled 12ga as an AOW, however the ATF defines an AOW as concealable (under 26" in OAL) or being actively concealed on the person. This meaning that, if said 12ga 'firearm' has an OAL of over 26" it remains a title I firearm and non-NFA. Read more on the subject here: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=438. The concept is the same as all y'alls AR 'firearms' over 26" OAL with VFGs, or just the XO-26.

Typically this is done with a mossberg 500, 14" barrel, and birdshead grip. But I thought, why not add more to the back and take off from the front? Mounting a buffer tube/brace contributes to the OAL measurements meaning more can be drawn back from the barrel length. All of this was congruent with previously established ATF rulings and still is, just you can't shoulder the thing now. Given it's a 'firearm' and not a pistol the previous ATF ruling of "shouldering a pistol is wrong but legal" cannot be cited. I wonder if the braced VFG AR 'firearms' will be treated the same.
View Quote
My question is how the 14" barreled birdshead grip mossberg 500 doesn't fall under the definition of a Destructive Device?

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#23]
what a dumb ass.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Absolutely I would. I can legally carry my AR pistol loaded and concealed in a vehicle. I don't have a sig brace on it. I still find it very comfortable and easy to shoot. I don't shoulder the buffer tube, I just rest my cheek on the foam sleeve on the end of the buffer tube. I have no issues with doing this.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My question is how the 14" barreled birdshead grip mossberg 500 doesn't fall under the definition of a Destructive Device?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I understood it all 12ga retains the sporting exemption unless specifically mentioned by name ala the striker/street sweeper line. The ATF could easily label it so but has not done so. Having been brought to their attention in full via this letter, it doesn't look like they're going to and they remain title I so long as they're not shouldered or concealed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I built an AR pistol and do not own a brace. I haven't even seen one in person.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
As I understood it all 12ga retains the sporting exemption unless specifically mentioned by name ala the striker/street sweeper line. The ATF could easily label it so but has not done so. Having been brought to their attention in full via this letter, it doesn't look like they're going to and they remain title I so long as they're not shouldered or concealed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While that is the way the ATF seems to be applying the law at the moment, it unfortunately is not how the law is written.  It would not surprise me to see their interpretation change to what is written in US Code.  

Another interesting thought is how DIAS were treated.  For quite awhile ATF treated pre-1981 DIAS as though they weren't machineguns, then a court ruled that ATF could properly consider a DIAS a machinegun, but ATF couldn't determine that pre-1981 DIAS were not machineguns.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, I own an AR pistol, I do not own the SB15 or the new SPX and have no plans to change this.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, there's the saddle.  Remember, AR pistols have been around wayyyyy longer than SB15s or SBXs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#30]
i'm in the beginning stages of building a pistol and i dont like the way the sig braces look, wasnt planning on using one anyhow.  so to answer your OP, yes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I did build one before the SB15/SBX. It had a car tube that I milled a slot at the rear and installed a standard front sling swivel at the rear bottum of the tube.(so a stock could not go on and so I could use a standard bottum mount sling) It was cool to look at, I shot it like once, couldn't quite figure out how to hold it good, never shot it again. I think I would have ultamately tried a rifle buffer tube or something. I put a SB15 on it and haven't even shot it yet. I have an AK pistol and I'm not surre if I even want to put a brace on it. Kinda like how small it is without, but on an AR, hey the tube's there anyways.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I did build one before the SB15/SBX. It had a car tube that I milled a slot at the rear and installed a standard front sling swivel at the rear bottum of the tube.(so a stock could not go on and so I could use a standard bottum mount sling) It was cool to look at, I shot it like once, couldn't quite figure out how to hold it good, never shot it again. ....
View Quote

You simply hold buffer tube alongside cheek as 3rd point of contact to steady it, works a treat. Not as stable as something against the shoulder, but COM accurate to 100 yards with my 10.5 incher.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#33]
My AR pistol has a crutch tip, and that's for traction, not padding.  I'm not interested in the Sig brace.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:37:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong...I fully believe the SBR laws (and many other firearm laws for that matter) are highly unconstitutional...but for the moment, we have to live under them.

Poking the skunk necessarily because you're busy making gimmicky firearms designed for basement dwelling Call of Duty players is another.

Screw with the ATF long enough and they will ban hammer everyone. Crap requests like that only point it out. Clearly, no one can use a pump shotgun with one arm. Looking at that thing, the ONLY purpose for the SIG brace is to shoulder the thing. If you strapped that firearm to your one good arm, you'd get a whopping one shot out of it before you had to ask someone to unstrap it from your arm...so you could pump the action.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, full tard and it only took about 6 months from the first favorable ruling...  all so maybe he can sell 20 of them, if that...  I remember the olden days, something good happened, everybody took it in, did their business and kept it off the radar.  Now everyone has to post their crap for the world to see and rub it in everyone's faces...   just STFU...  its a lost art.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Just so you guys know, this letter changes absolutely nothing.
It affects a 'firearm' shotgun as that whole train of logic depends on the legal definition of shotgun as being designed to be fired from the shoulder.
Meaning if you shoulder it, with a brace or anything else, it legally becomes a shotgun again. That's all there is to it - it has nothing to do with the SB15.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

It affects a 'firearm' shotgun as that whole train of logic depends on the legal definition of shotgun as being designed to be fired from the shoulder.

Meaning if you shoulder it, with a brace or anything else, it legally becomes a shotgun again. That's all there is to it - it has nothing to do with the SB15.
View Quote
Legal definition of a rifle is being designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder, just like the shotgun.  If shouldering this makes an SBS, then shouldering a sig braced pistol makes an AR.  The two rulings use completely different logic and arrive at contradicting opinions.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I did buy one.  I didn't buy the brace.  No need.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Legal definition of a rifle is being designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder, just like the shotgun.  If shouldering this makes an SBS, then shouldering a sig braced pistol makes an AR.  The two rulings use completely different logic and arrive at contradicting opinions.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

12ga cannot be a pistol and by extension isn't subject to the "shouldering it is a misuse but does not cause the pistol to be reclassified" ruling. So then regarding >26" VFG 'firearms', you'd have to ask the ATF about the legality of shouldering. They never made a statement on those directly IIRC.
Remember we're dealing with ATF 'logic' here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

12ga cannot be a pistol and by extension isn't subject to the "shouldering it is a misuse but does not cause the pistol to be reclassified" ruling. So then regarding >26" VFG 'firearms', you'd have to ask the ATF about the legality of shouldering. They never made a statement on those directly IIRC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A 12ga can be a pistol, it's just called an AOW.

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term "Any Other Weapon” means:

• Any weapon or device capable of being
    concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the
    energy of an explosive;

?

• A pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell;

?

• Weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or
    more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge
    can be made from either barrel without manual reloading; and

• Any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire.

Such term shall not include a pistol or a
revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed,
made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of
firing fixed ammunition.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I find it interesting the Feds take a position that if you have a concealed carry permit (you don't need a permit in Arizona), if you fire from a concealed position, say firing a revolver in inside a coat pocket, you can be charged with having an AOW.  Actually their position is that any concealed firearm is an AOW.  Every person legally carrying concealed in say a National Forest or BLM land is committing a crime.

It's good to know if you're in a National Park, a concealed firearm is not an AOW (if you have a carry permit).  I suppose in Arizona if you're carrying a concealed pistol into the Grand Canyon without a concealed carry permit, you know have an AOW.  

http://www.nps.gov/grca/parkmgmt/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf

I'm sorry, pistols and revolvers are not AOW, just remembered.  My bad.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I am seeing a lot of good responses on the subject.  I too bought my AR pistol before the Sig Brace was released.  As others have stated, I can conceal my pistol with my license and that was a main point of purchase.  However, I have seen a lot of people saying they never considered the AR pistol prior to the SIG Brace being released and later ATF allowing it to be shoulder fired.  That then makes me think if there would a flood on the used market for AR pistols if the brace ATF determination WAS overturned.  For all those that bought one specifically for shouldering the brace that want to get rid of it if it happens, let me know!  
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#42]
nope I would never buy the sig brace I will spend a few dollars more for the stamp wait my time and have a real SBR
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
nope I would never buy the sig brace I will spend a few dollars more for the stamp wait my time and have a real SBR
View Quote

I honestly still don't understand the logic of the SBR debate since I am able to shoulder a buffer tube.  Giving the gov extra amounts of my time and money never appealed to me.  However, I remain hopeful that the ATF will go away all together and the suppressor tax stamp along with it.  I purchased my AR pistol because I didn't want to pay the $200 tax stamp for an SBR, and in the end, still stand behind my decision to do so.  Different strokes but I'd rather put that $200 towards ammo or biting the bullet and getting my suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I honestly still don't understand the logic of the SBR debate since I am able to shoulder a buffer tube.  Giving the gov extra amounts of my time and money never appealed to me.  However, I remain hopeful that the ATF will go away all together and the suppressor tax stamp along with it.  I purchased my AR pistol because I didn't want to pay the $200 tax stamp for an SBR, and in the end, still stand behind my decision to do so.  Different strokes but I'd rather put that $200 towards ammo or biting the bullet and getting my suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your absolutely right personal preference and I prefer to shoulder a rifle not a pistol

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and the brace is what 125-150? so your saving 50-75 bucks by not stamping? thats barely 100 rounds you can buy with the savings
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

and the brace is what 125-150? so your saving 50-75 bucks by not stamping? thats barely 100 rounds you can buy with the savings
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I acknowledge your well founded point. But to be totally fair, one has to also take into account the additional price of a regular stock that an SBR owner has to purchase otherwise. Still not a large amount by any means.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The amount of money for the stamp isn't the issue for me, it's the bending over for the government and having to ask permission to travel with it, no one else being able to shoot it unless you pay to form trust etc....and participate in what is basically voluntary gun registration. Screw them and their tax stamp
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The amount of money for the stamp isn't the issue for me, it's the bending over for the government and having to ask permission to travel with it, no one else being able to shoot it unless you pay to form trust etc....and participate in what is basically voluntary gun registration. Screw them and their tax stamp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS, and the gov doesn't buy back that stamp.  I can sell a brace.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can let anybody shoot it trust has nothing to do with that it only states who can have legal possession of item,... forming an NFA item as individual or trust only the person or persons named can have possession/control over it anybody not named can still shoot it,.. in the controlling persons presence

I will agree a tax is silly as is NFA but  I have nothing to hide I don't wear tinfoil and I want a stock on my rifle and choose not to shoulder a pistol,..again as stated earlier  it personal preference,
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can sell your NFA it's done all the time yes you have to form 4 it to the buyer and yes it's another 200 for him,...but if you have owned the item for a number of years and you have shot the hell out of it you got your 200 worth out of it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top