Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 1:27:45 PM EDT
I have a 10.5 inch .300 BLK Pistol I would like to SBR. The problem is that I live down a dirt road where I cross a state lane into North Carolina for about 1/4 mile before returning into South Carolina. I know the chance of getting caught driving down the road is minimal but lets say it did. I am not sure I could justify being a felon just because I wanted to take my toy to the range. Has anyone else seen anything similar to this?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a 10.5 inch .300 BLK Pistol I would like to SBR. The problem is that I live down a dirt road where I cross a state lane into North Carolina for about 1/4 mile before returning into South Carolina. I know the chance of getting caught driving down the road is minimal but lets say it did. I am not sure I could justify being a felon just because I wanted to take my toy to the range. Has anyone else seen anything similar to this?
View Quote

File a 5320 with the ATF, it's good for up to a year.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the 5320 is needed only if you are stopping in another state. If you travel straight through (in a direct route) , no 5320 is needed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe the 5320 is needed only if you are stopping in another state. If you travel straight through (in a direct route) , no 5320 is needed.
View Quote

You're right, there are federal provisions for traveling already in place as long as you're on a direct route to your destination.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You're right, there are federal provisions for traveling already in place as long as you're on a direct route to your destination.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, don't see why the "safe passage" part of FOPA wouldn't apply to NFA firearms also. He's traveling from one place his SBR is legal to another place it's legal and the destination for both trip and return trip is in his home state. There's no exception in that part of 18 USC for NFA firearms.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:21:56 AM EDT
[#5]
The only difference between an SBR and Pistol is adding the stock. The SIG brace can accomplish the same, no stamp, no $200, no paper work. If the state required rifles to be transported cased unloaded, it's not. If the State allows under 26" pistols to be carried loaded concealed in the car, it can.

You can build an 80% pistol and there's no requirement for any language, or numbers on it, an SBR has to be engraved.

If all the requirements of a SBR are no bother, go for it, establish a trust, pay money, Do Not Go To Jail. If the pistol seems to be quite a bit less hassle, forget the trust, keep the money, cross state lines without paper permission, carry loaded, Do Not Go To Jail.

It might seem that I'm biased but full disclosure means knowing all the facts and making an informed decision. I did - for my circumstances, which means knowing my state laws, too.

Like dropping a 16" 6.8 upper on the completed pistol lower and using it in MO "pistol" season where an SBR can't. Just got to keep it under 26" is all.

Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep, don't see why the "safe passage" part of FOPA wouldn't apply to NFA firearms also. He's traveling from one place his SBR is legal to another place it's legal and the destination for both trip and return trip is in his home state. There's no exception in that part of 18 USC for NFA firearms.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Heck, I don't see why the "shall not be infringed" part of the 2nd wouldn't work, but I guess that would be to simple.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Heck, I don't see why the "shall not be infringed" part of the 2nd wouldn't work, but I guess that would be to simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Of course, but a nation or state operates under its laws, not necessarily its constitution. My comment was about the laws, not the principle that was violated by enacting them.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top