Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 4:06:11 AM EDT
So, I am breaking down and buying a Daniel Defense MK18 upper. With this thing costing so much I don't want its life to be spent attached to an ugly sig brace forever and without a VG. So I am contemplating applying for a SBR tax stamp.

My question for you: Is being granted the stamp basically an agreement between you and the ATF saying they can come to your house anytime and harass you? Has anyone with one of these stamps ever been approached or contacted by the ATF?

Basically I would just like a little information on the subject from someone whose dealt with getting around these unconstitutional laws.  

-Thanks, Cody.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:21:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Good news and bad news. No, they can't search your house. They can audit your tax return (stamp).

Bad news: You can't get SBRs in IL.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Good news: You can move :)

ETA: Also, presuming the OAL is >26in, a vertical grip is allowed so long as you don't conceal it (according to federal law, of course IANAL and IL law may say otherwise).
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:29:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good news and bad news. No, they can't search your house. They can audit your tax return (stamp).

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, should have done my research. Better yet shoulve just known having lived in this ass backwards state my whole life. Thanks brotha!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, I am breaking down and buying a Daniel Defense MK18 upper. With this thing costing so much I don't want its life to be spent attached to an ugly sig brace forever and without a VG. So I am contemplating applying for a SBR tax stamp.

My question for you: Is being granted the stamp basically an agreement between you and the ATF saying they can come to your house anytime and harass you? Has anyone with one of these stamps ever been approached or contacted by the ATF?

Basically I would just like a little information on the subject from someone whose dealt with getting around these unconstitutional laws.  

-Thanks, Cody.
View Quote

Get the KAK Industries Super SB15 buffer tube, sig brace, and the mk18 upper should make it above the 26'' requirement. After that you're good to add a vfg if you want.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
For what the DD costs, you could build a pistol complete and have change left over for a lot of ammo (which is back in stock and we should be buying up.)

For a lot of us, IL is just saving you an unnecessary $200 fee, but I support your right to pay it, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol, should have done my research. Better yet shoulve just known having lived in this ass backwards state my whole life. Thanks brotha!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As of 2013, you can have an SBR in Illinois as long as you have a C&R license. It's the only NFA thing you can have in Illinois. There's a thread on the subject in the Illinois Hometown forum.

It's not ideal, at which point neither is having to pay the $200 for the permission to have an NFA item... But in reality, it just adds another step and another month of waiting. If you're someone that would get approved for the Form 1 the C&R license should be a cakewalk.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get the KAK Industries Super SB15 buffer tube, sig brace, and the mk18 upper should make it above the 26'' requirement. After that you're good to add a vfg if you want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Thanks, Cody.

As long as you backward as state doesn't have a law against adding a VFG on pistol like mine does. In my state adding a VFG on a 26" pistol makes it an SBR under state law, which would require a tax stamp from the federal govt, even though it doesn't fit the federal standard of a SBR, but SBRs are legal here, How messed up is that?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top