Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 11:19:40 PM EDT
So I finally got to really put some rounds through my newly built pistol and it ran great except for the gas block coming loose. I put 300 rounds through it in an hour and holy shit does that thing get hot. After about 2 or 3 mags the whole rail was piping hot, even with gloves on it was unbearable. I would hate to have to use this in a fire fight. I assume other people have had the same thing happen. Any way to combat this?

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest you try to limit your hand position and therefore the cover panels to a smaller area. That way air can use the natural law that has hot air rising and cooler air coming from below to cool the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll give it a shot. Maybe I'll just remove the panels from the bottom and see if that helps. What do you mean by limit my hand position?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest you not starting posts saying your gun caught fire when it was warm. Wolf and all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Vertical front grip makes a good hand stop, if you over heat it you can still use it as a grip.

It's fun to make em hot:

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would suggest you not starting posts saying your gun caught fire when it was warm. Wolf and all.
View Quote

If it was just warm I wouldn't be posting. Plus the title says "My AR caught fire...not really". Relax.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If it was just warm I wouldn't be posting. Plus the title says "My AR caught fire...not really". Relax.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

14er, did it actually catch fire? No? then it was was warm and you are dramatic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

14er, did it actually catch fire? No? then it was was warm and you are dramatic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your Xanax script needs refilling.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#8]
13er, as if being a 14er makes any difference.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

My gun is not on fire when it isn't, so in this case, yes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Going back and forth on this is stupid. Let's move on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you can stop being dramatic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's not the only one being dramatic

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:13:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liar. liar gun's on fire.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Drop it, it really is no big deal.  This is not the correct forum for this kind of bickering, and if you aren't going to add constructive content to the thread, please stop posting in it.

Eta-Op, id pretty much recommend whats already been said here.  On a rifle, I usually like having the magpul vfg as it works nicely in the role of hand stop, or vfg if it gets too hot.  Maybe consider the magpul AFG, although I've never used one, so that may make the ergonomics suck.

Also, Im not really sure what you have with your forend there.  What are those keymod covers/panels made of?  Is it necessary to have so many covers on it?  Is it necessary to have such a long rail?  Having your entire barrel covered by rail really contributes to the buildup of heat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Needs more smoke.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#16]

This.  Drop it, it really is no big deal.  This is not the correct forum for this kind of bickering, and if you aren't going to add constructive content to the thread, please stop posting in it.
Eta-Op, id pretty much recommend whats already been said here.  On a rifle, I usually like having the magpul vfg as it works nicely in the role of hand stop, or vfg if it gets too hot.  Maybe consider the magpul AFG, although I've never used one, so that may make the ergonomics suck.
Also, Im not really sure what you have with your forend there.  What are those keymod covers/panels made of?  Is it necessary to have so many covers on it?  Is it necessary to have such a long rail?  Having your entire barrel covered by rail really contributes to the buildup of heat.
View All Quotes

I have a 10.5" barrel with a Noveske KX5 and 12" Midwest Industries SSK Keymod rail with Noveske rail covers. The covers are made of plastic and no its probably not necessary to have so many covers on it. I liked the way it looks but since it cause an issue Im going remove some. As far as the length of the rail I do wish I had gone with shorter rail but I'm not about to spend another $200 on another one.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#18]
An unfortunate side affect of thermally conductive handguards...

Even if you isolated it at the barrel nut, it would still get hot from radiation from the barrel.
Even with added heat sinks and such, it will still get hot with prolonged firing.

I recently switched my .300blk back to carbine handguards (MOE-SL) and ditched the quad rail because it soaked up heat from the can.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#19]
if you do that kind of shooting you will need gloves. other options are to make sure you hold the bottom of the grip as heat rises, you can get a handle (not with a pistol lower though) or hold it at the mag well, just make sure you hold the magwell, not the magazine as it will cause malfunction in the feeding process.

But if you think 300 rds of semi auto, try putting that many rounds through a full auto with a suppressor. For starters you will need and oven mitt, the can will turn red and anything made of plastic will probably melt.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll give it a shot. Maybe I'll just remove the panels from the bottom and see if that helps. What do you mean by limit my hand position?
View Quote

He means that you have covers impeding the air flow to the majority of the barrel and handguards. Reduce the covers to only the area that you typically grip the handguard, and you could eliminate half of the covers while still having coverage to the area you use. Thereby increasing the airflow to the barrel and handguard and helping them cool more efficiently.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#21]
One of the down sides of the newer slim rails. It allows heat to radiate out to your hands. I would if over 26in in total length go with a VFG. If still a problem. Try thicker gloves.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#22]
The real solution is to build a second gun. When one gets too hot to shoot, switch out and let it cool off.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:48:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
if you do that kind of shooting you will need gloves. other options are to make sure you hold the bottom of the grip as heat rises, you can get a handle (not with a pistol lower though) or hold it at the mag well, just make sure you hold the magwell, not the magazine as it will cause malfunction in the feeding process.

But if you think 300 rds of semi auto, try putting that many rounds through a full auto with a suppressor. For starters you will need and oven mitt, the can will turn red and anything made of plastic will probably melt.
View Quote

Actually, if it meets a minimum length, you can add a forward grip and it is still legal. It goes into a different class where it is simply a firearm and not a pistol or rifle. I think it's either 26" or 27".
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#24]
AFG or VFG (if over 26," etc.).
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One of the down sides of the newer slim rails. It allows heat to radiate out to your hands. I would if over 26in in total length go with a VFG. If still a problem. Try thicker gloves.
View Quote

One of the reasons I didn't jump on the KeyMod bandwagon.  Saving a few ounces also often means decreasing the functionality of a particular firearm build.

Even after a couple hundred rounds, my LMT MRP and Daniel Defense MK18/V5 Quad Railed Handguards stay cool enough to touch with either a rail cover or even just rail ladders (and no gloves).  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
One of the reasons I didn't jump on the KeyMod bandwagon.  Saving a few ounces also often means decreasing the functionality of a particular firearm build.

Even after a couple hundred rounds, my LMT MRP and Daniel Defense MK18/V5 Quad Railed Handguards stay cool enough to touch with either a rail cover or even just rail ladders (and no gloves).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I had read that somehwere, I may not have bought a keymod rail. I'm going to remove all the panels first and see if it gets as hot.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wish I had read that somehwere, I may not have bought a keymod rail. I'm going to remove all the panels first and see if it gets as hot.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not necessarily true. How much heat sinks into an aluminum hand guard is more determined by the rate of fire and barrel profile than the handguards themselves.  Aluminum transfers heat at 3-4x the rate of steel. The only gun I have that doesn't get hot in rapid fire has plastic handguards over a SS FF tube. The others have a VFG or AFG to hold onto. The quad railed gun heats up just as quick as the aluminum FF tube gun. They all have the same barrel profile
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Looks like this would expedite the heat transfer to the hand guard????

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Go to Home Depot and buy one of their 5 gallon buckets for tree-fiddy.
With the mag dumps, it's clear that you care that little about your barrel, a water quench will cool it down rather nicely.

The only other "fix" is to remove the rail and run standard handguards with the heat shields.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top