Streamlight PolyTac in a DD mount

Before adding the KAK buffer tube

[youtube]http://youtu.be/eGR5zN3qBxc[/youtube]

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Very Nice !!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Look up my channel on YouTube under username "ebenjamin23" and I have slow motion video of it being shot along with some other guns.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a great build.  How's she shoot?  

How's that thorsdon's pistol kit and cca saddle work with the kak pistol buffer tube?  Any issues with rotation and not staying in place?  I thought you "had to use" a carbine buffer to keep it from moving around.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a link to slow motion video of me shooting it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0g1A6I13Wwyg2taRcy60ow
Honestly, It shoots like a rifle. The Thordsen/KAK combination gives me a very similar LOP to the rest of my ARs and works just like you want it too.
The kit is actually made up of 3 parts: The CAA saddle, Thordsen's buffer tube cover and Thordsen's saddle mounting kit. The buffer tube cover mounts very securely and is a solid base for the rest to mount to. It is really a great solution and a viable alternative to the Sig Brace.
The Thordsen kit mounts up very securely to the KAK tube and does not move at all. I wrapped the tube underneath the saddle in electrical tape, based on some other experiences online, and I have experienced zero movement.
I have not used the Sig Brace but the look alone was enough to sway me towards this set up.
I am very satisfied with it and would not hesitate to purchase this set-up again.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the handstop looking deal the sling is attached to at the rear o the saddle in the 2nd pic?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a QD sling mount.
I got the idea from a post on here.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/642931_Possible_solution_to_a_problem_AR_pistol_owners_face_.html

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#7]
If I was going to use tape it would have been friction tape as it has grip and doesn't easily turn into a gooey mess as electrical tape often does.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Friction tape would add too much girth. It is a surprisingly tight tolerance but allows enough room for one pass with electrical tape.

I use high quality electrical tape and I don't plan to remove this set up so I don't see this being an issue for me.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#9]
You're braver than me.  I wouldn't add the sling mount like on a pistol until ATF gives a response on it.   Way too much chance of them deciding that's the line between stuff on the back of a pistol and a stock.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not that brave, I took it off after the pictures. At least until the ruling comes back.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Love that dust cover, is it custom made?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for posting this thread. I normally shoot NTCH but the thordsen/carbine buffer tube combo was just a bit short for me.

I took my pistol apart and replaced the carbine tube with a pistol tube and got that little extra LOP I wanted.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
If Ihadnt bought an SB15 I would have bought the Thordsen kit.  Looks very solid.  Nice work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#14]
What were you using before the KAK tube if I might ask?  I really like the look of that I may have to do something like this on my next pistol build.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
He's using a standard buffer tube, that's what the Thordson is designed to use
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Love that dust cover, is it custom made?
View Quote

Yes it is. I get them from http://www.tacticalgearjunkie.com/
They are easy to deal with and can put pretty much any image on there. It just adds something personal to the gun.
They did this one for the girlfriend. She loves it and you'll never mistake it for your rifle. Yes, that says, "Craft With Cats".

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thanks for posting this thread. I normally shoot NTCH but the thordsen/carbine buffer tube combo was just a bit short for me.
I took my pistol apart and replaced the carbine tube with a pistol tube and got that little extra LOP I wanted.
View Quote

No problem. If I can help somebody build what they really want by showing how I did it, then I consider it a win.

I found very little information on using this set-up online and I got very little help from the manufactures when I emailed them for tube O.D. and general information on compatibility. Thorsden did say that they are working on a similar kit that will be available at some point in the future.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What were you using before the KAK tube if I might ask?  I really like the look of that I may have to do something like this on my next pistol build.
View Quote

Madesicc412 is correct. I bought the buffer tube offered by Thorsden that is basically a standard adjustable buffer tube without the adjustment holes drilled in it (It's for sale. If you want it, email or PM me.)

In my opinion, the Thorsden kit looks best right up against the receiver, as intended, but I could barely shoot it like that so aesthetics had to take a back seat to useability in this case.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I am doing a second pistol build with a 10.5 barrel and was thinking about using a standard buffer tube that I have lying around but want to be able to use a VFG at times.  I am asuming that your OAL with the standard buffer tube was under 26"?  Sorry to kind of hijack your thread but it seems like a waste to post this question in a new thread.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am doing a second pistol build with a 10.5 barrel and was thinking about using a standard buffer tube that I have lying around but want to be able to use a VFG at times.  I am asuming that your OAL with the standard buffer tube was under 26"?  Sorry to kind of hijack your thread but it seems like a waste to post this question in a new thread.
View Quote

Oh it will be short of the mark, 11.5" barrel may get you there though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

...Sorry to kind of hijack your thread but it seems like a waste to post this question in a new thread.
View Quote
Not a problem for me. I find these forums very educational and entertaining and I hope to give back where I can, though my knowledge is limited to what I have researched for myself.
I didn't actually measure mine at all points in the process but I am currently at roughly 27 1/2" with the final set-up (Using the KAK tube).  
The KAK tube adds about 1 3/8'' from the back of the castle nut to the "shoulder" where the Thorsden cover sits.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Any movement on this?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Where do I get the rail and the sling mount you mounted under the Thorsden or whatever?
thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Where do I get the rail and the sling mount you mounted under the Thorsden or whatever?
thanks
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/642931_Possible_solution_to_a_problem_AR_pistol_owners_face_.html
I think it tells what the part that he cut apart to get the rail. You can get the handstops on amazon or you can get cheap ones from air soft sites.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Deleted

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Can someone show in more detail how this would mount up to a kak pistol buffer tube securely? Is it wedged on like a sig brace would be?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Duplicate
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Can someone show in more detail how this would mount up to a kak pistol buffer tube securely? Is it wedged on like a sig brace would be?
View Quote

I'll take some pics when I get home. It just clamps on.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I like it! I am thinking about going this same route with my next build. Any info. on how the standard setup vs the kak setup compare in length to an a collapsible stock?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View Quote

This is looking at the bottom of the Thordsen mount for the CAA saddle. Those screws lock in the center plastic piece which clamps the Thordsen kit on to the buffer tube. It's a very tight fit but it grips securely.

Here's another view of basically the same thing. The part in the "channel" in the middle is the exposed buffer tube. You can see half a wrap of electrical tape to the left of the mounting clamp. I did it because of some things I read online but it really does not need it. In fact it's a pain to get it on there with the tape on it. If I ever take the set-up off, I'll be removing the tape.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Deleted

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Stock fully extended measurement

Stock fully collapsed measurement

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Stock in the 3rd notch, which is where I usually leave it.

The pistol using the KAK buffer tube has basically the same as where I prefer to have the LOP set. The picture is missing

It does look like the tape measure is short but that's just an illusion because of the angle the pics were taken at.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I like what you have done here. Very cool and functional from the looks of it.  

Did you need to use the CAA Saddle adapter kit from Thordsen for this set up, or did you get away with out it? Truth is not sure what the adapter kit does - not a ton of info from Thordsen.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:57:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Stock in the 3rd notch, which is where I usually leave it.
<a href="http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/ebenjamin23/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140930_142832_RichtoneHDR.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w399/ebenjamin23/Mobile%20Uploads/20140930_142832_RichtoneHDR.jpg</a>

The pistol using the KAK buffer tube. Basically the same as where I prefer to have the LOP set.
<a href="http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/ebenjamin23/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140930_143040_RichtoneHDR.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w399/ebenjamin23/Mobile%20Uploads/20140930_143040_RichtoneHDR.jpg</a>

It does look like the tape measure is short but that's just an illusion because of the angle the pics were taken at.

View Quote

soooooo can you maybe include the exact measurements you came up with so we dont have to try and disorient an optical illusion?  THanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you need to use the CAA Saddle adapter kit from Thordsen for this set up, or did you get away with out it? Truth is not sure what the adapter kit does - not a ton of info from Thordsen.
View Quote

Yes, the adapter kit includes two very important polymer pieces that lock into grooves in the Thordsen's buffer cover, filling a small gap and allowing the CAA to secure up rock solid with the buffer cover. Maybe you can see it better in these pics...(you can't see the internal components, just the sling loop pieces.)

Hope this helps!

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By emtothedee

soooooo can you maybe include the exact measurements you came up with so we dont have to try and disorient an optical illusion?  THanks!
View Quote

The pictures were meant only as reference between the relative length of the pistol buffer to a mil-spec collapsible stock, not empirical measurements of length.

However, ask and you shall receive

(All measurements taken from the rear (stock side) of the castle nut to the top rearmost section of the stock/cheekweld using the firearms listed in the above posts.)

Stock collapsed: 6 7/8"

Fully extended stock: 10 1/8"

Stock in 3rd position (on 6 pos buffer): 8 3/8"

Thordsen/KAK pistol: 8 7/8"

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yes, the adapter kit includes two very important polymer pieces that lock into grooves in the Thordsen's buffer cover, filling a small gap and allowing the CAA to secure up rock solid with the buffer cover. Maybe you can see it better in these pics...(you can't see the internal components, just the sling loop pieces.)

Hope this helps!

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/awesomedave_bucket/IMG_0263.jpg

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/awesomedave_bucket/IMG_0264.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps!

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/awesomedave_bucket/IMG_0263.jpg

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/awesomedave_bucket/IMG_0264.jpg

I couldn't have said it better.

Bottom line, yes, you need the kit if you want to recreate mine or Power2thepeople's.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Wonderful! Thank you for the response! hard to tell some times if the extra bits and pieces are really necessary or suggested. I'm ordering up tonight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:35:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Wonderful! Thank you for the response! hard to tell some times if the extra bits and pieces are really necessary or suggested. I'm ordering up tonight.

View Quote

You won't be disappointed.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Better have a look at the link you referenced.  It's been updated with a reply from the ATF.  That combo of parts is considered "problematic".  Something about a "substantial vertical surface" being similar to a stock, which on a pistol makes it NFA.  Oops.

I'm using a rubber crutch tip over a Spike's buffer tube.  The rubber keeps it from sliding around when you shoulder it, or slipping if you lean it up against a wall.  Yeah, it looks cheap , but it works great.  And it's not a stock.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:22:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Better have a look at the link you referenced.  It's been updated with a reply from the ATF.  That combo of parts is considered "problematic".  Something about a "substantial vertical surface" being similar to a stock, which on a pistol makes it NFA.  Oops.

I'm using a rubber crutch tip over a Spike's buffer tube.  The rubber keeps it from sliding around when you shoulder it, or slipping if you lean it up against a wall.  Yeah, it looks cheap , but it works great.  And it's not a stock.
View Quote

Yeah, I saw that. I sold the pistol to start my SPR project anyway.

I feel so much safer knowing that the BATFE is looking out for us on these major issues.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:32:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Do you think this set up would work on a PSA Pistol tube, the way it is "fluted"?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#45]
It might rotate on a round buffer tube, the Thordsen kit is made for a regular buffer tube or their pistol buffer tube that isn't indexed for a rifle stock.  I think the recent ATF letter was not addressing the Thordsen kit, but with someone who added an additional rail piece to the BATF approved parts which did make the contact area with your shoulder larger. They specify in that letter that the modification is creating a larger surface area similar to a rifle butt stock, whereas the parts included in the Thordsen kits if you don't modify them have a much smaller contact area.  It has a smaller footprint than a Sig brace for sure out of the box, but it does have a better cheek weld which is OK per the BATF.  I have both and find the Thordsen kit to be more comfortable and better looking, but the Sig brace is still a great and useful product that I applaud them for creating.  My hats off to both companies for their solutions, while not for everyone, you will see tons of great examples using both on the AR pistol pic thread, close to 150 pages and going strong!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top