Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 9:21:13 PM EDT
Ok so I am planning a pistol build and Im looking for a bit of advice on my parts list.

What I have.........

Quentin Defense stripped lower (forge)
KAK SB15 Tube
Carbine Spring & Buffer

What Im going to get.........

Radical Firearms 7.5 inch 5.56 upper with BCG
KAK Can or KX3 Pig (not sure which yet)
then Im not sure between Spikes LPK or Anderson Manufacturing LPK (both look good)

and is an H Buffer or ST-T2 buffer needed?

Any advice on muzzle device, LPK or buffer setup would be helpful on my first pistol build. If this one goes well, I may look at getting a 300 Blackout upper also.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to steer ya this way http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/AR-PISTOL/p/AR-PISTOL-BUILDERS-PACKAGE-x3607311.htm on the buffer end, and you may like to try http://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/kvp-comps.html for the other end

The buffer kit includes the stock neato cheek rest recoil spring, buffer and end plate (all you need in one package)

And the comp being linear is actually effective and affordable, plus more visually appealing than the kak and far less weight than the pig

Let us see it when she's done

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Aside from it being a build = what will you shoot with it? Paper, berms, wildlife, two legged predators?

Reason being, that 5.56 from a 7.5 barrel doesn't do much ballistically. As much as Im not a fan, the .300BO would be the better first step, in a 10". The idea is to match the ballistic output of the cartridge and barrel length to the job needed.

Start with what your range and target will be, then match the cartridge and barrel length that hits it. If that's still a 5.56 with 7.5" ok, but for the money, about the only difference is the barrel. It's exactly the same build, easy enough to just go .300BO.

I'm considering a build using 6.8 because out of a 12.5" it can push 85 grain bullets past 2600fps - but that is for my goal, a legal "pistol" for alternate gun deer season in MO.

A build should have a purpose beyond tapping a few roll pins in or screwing on the barrel nut - it's a firearm and the intended purpose is to put a bullet thru something. How far away and what it is should be part of the reason parts are chosen.

Thumbs up for suggesting Thordsen, it doesn't have to be an expensive wrist brace that is already scheduled to go out of production.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#3]
You might or might not need a stiffer buffer. I just put my pistol together and have not need one. Best to just build it...shoot it...then see IF you need one. Same thing with an extractor spring upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:18:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You're going to probably need an H2 or H3 buffer.
You dont have to use a Spike's Tactical buffer, regardless of the weight you chose to go with. The difference with theirs is not the weight, but how it's made. They have a cavity filled with tungsten powder inside instead of the conventional solid tungsten (or steel) weights.
Luckily, they're about the same price as a normal buffer, so they remain an option if that's something you're interested in.

Pretty much any linear comp is going to be a nice addition. Have a look at my recent thread here idunno, it just seemed kinda pointless to go that short on the barrel, and then add a comp that's going to increase the length to almost what a 10" upper would be if it had an A2 flash hider on it, hence the reason I started that thread. Feel free to bump it to the top of the stack for others to see.

And actually, if you're going to be ordering from Radical anyway, you might use them for your LPK. A buddy of mine bought a complete pistol from them recently, and I am really jealous of the LPK they put in it. The trigger seems decent, and the safety is a very heavy and positive click. I like that.
While you're at it, you might try and order your buffer tube from them as well. I like the length and diameter of their tube for use with a Sig brace.

I will caution you though; if you ever want a different handguard on your weapon than the quad rail that comes on it (the bottom picatinny rail is out of spec on some of them by the way) then you would be better off ordering everything individually and putting it together yourself.
The reason I say that is they have been putting their flash hiders on so incredibly tight that there was no way to get it off without heat form a propane torch. And even then, we bent the gas tube because the barrel rotated inside the upper while we were wrenching on it (even though I had a reaction rod inserted).
We called Radical after he had already fixed the problem just to let them know and they seemed happy that we were telling them about the problem, but we have no way of knowing if they've done anything to fix the problem at this point. They're also slow as hell building uppers. You can tell they are struggling to find good help as they expand.

Incidentally, you might want to use this barrel instead--> 7.5" barrel, 5.56 chamber, 1 in 7 twist. If I recal correctly, the one from Radical is a 1:9 twist, which may not be enough stabilization for some ammo.

And since I'm on such a roll, I'll go ahead and suggest you look at Aero Precision receivers. Not that there's anything wrong with what you've picked out, but I just dont have any experience with that brand, whereas, the Aero stuff I've handled is really top notch.

And now you know what I'll be putting together for my upcoming 7" build.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
My Radical Firearms 7.5 inch 5.56 upper has been flawless. A real blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow. Thanks for all the advice. A lot of good ideas. I changed up a things. Going with the Phase 5 Tactical basic Pistol buffer tube and H2 buffer. It will make a fun range shooter and a great coyote gun (live in the mountains). Now Im not sure if I will have Irons or a red-dot of some kind.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top