Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 5:13:49 PM EDT
So do just about all the pistol buffer tubes accept/use a castle nut?  Whichever tube I go with I want to be able to use a castle nut and an IKH endplate.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So do just about all the pistol buffer tubes accept/use a castle nut?  Whichever tube I go with I want to be able to use a castle nut and an IKH endplate.
View Quote

No.  MANY of them do not use a castle nut.  if you want to use a castle nut pay attention to which one you pick.  I went with the Phase 5 not because I wanted to have a castle nut but because I wanted to use a QD end plate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Which ones use a castle nut?  I also measured my AR carbine stocks and I like a pretty short LOP
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
This might be a dark gray area but I have seen quite a few pictures of AR pistols in this forum that "looked like" they had a carbine buffer tube wrapped in 550 cord.

Or you can do the modification and have that tube made round on a lathe (which does take a machine shop) or other ways.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This might be a dark gray area but I have seen quite a few pictures of AR pistols in this forum that "looked like" they had a carbine buffer tube wrapped in 550 cord.

Or you can do the modification and have that tube made round on a lathe (which does take a machine shop) or other ways.
View Quote

Not a grey area at all, you can have a regular carbine reciever extension if you want to.  There is a tech letter in the stick at the top of this forum.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not a grey area at all, you can have a regular carbine reciever extension if you want to.  There is a tech letter in the stick at the top of this forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it be a bad idea to avoid the carbine buffer tube if you have a collapsible stock in your possession? Couldn't that be considered intent? Just wondering because I am building a pistol and I also have a regular rifle lower as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Would it be a bad idea to avoid the carbine buffer tube if you have a collapsible stock in your possession? Couldn't that be considered intent? Just wondering because I am building a pistol and I also have a regular rifle lower as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course you need a legal "useful purpose other than making an NFA firearm" for any group of parts in your possession, out and about, or even at home. Having an AR rifle or AR rifle  upper with you covers having a stock. It even covers having an extra stock, legally, though an extra unattached one obviously might not be the wisest thing to have out and about .. no sense baiting the tiger.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you have a legal purpose to possess the stock e.g. a rifle capable of accepting it,  or an upper/barrel which when installed FIRST can be used to turn the pistol into a legal length rifle, you're good to go.

You have a rifle reciever,  you may possess extra stocks for said reciever.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I would remember to wrap the pistol's  buffer tube. Just to make sure you can't readily install a stock.

Also it makes a better handle and feels better on your skin on cold days.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would remember to wrap the pistol's  buffer tube. Just to make sure you can't readily install a stock.

Also it makes a better handle and feels better on your skin on cold days.
View Quote

Whether it might make a difference in perception or not, "readily" is not a condition, doesn't matter if carbine tube is wrapped. "attachable" is not defined in the SCOTUS ruling. Push come to shove, even a pistol tube is not necessarily an absolute defense -- tape could attach one, etc. Same applies to a vertical forward grip, too.

The best and simplest thing is to always make sure any part/component in your possession has a legal useful purpose.

For example, this kit I used to tote is perfectly legal (lower of course began life as handgun).  However, same assortment without a rifle component would be making an NFA firearm:

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top