Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2014 12:30:22 PM EDT
Hey guys this will be my first AR build but not my first rifle build, I recently sporterized a Mosin Nagant(See Below). I have put a parts list together and wanted to see what you guys think about it. My intentions for this pistol will be range and CQB.

So here we go!

PSA blem stripped lower
PSA blem stripped upper
PSA forward assist button
Mas Defense 10.5" Wylde 1x8 barrel - 102W8CBBL
Spikes Tactical LPK - Part # SLPK101
BCM extractor spring upgrade kit
Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer
PSA 5.56 Nickel Boron HPT/MPI Full Auto BCG - Part # 48098
Midwest Industries SSK-12 rail
BCM MOD 3 charging handle
Phase 5 Pistol Buffer Tube assembly - Part # PBT-CA
YHM low profile gas block - Part # YHM-9383
Carbine length gas tube
Bushnell TRS-25 red dot
Magpul MBUS set
Noveske KX5

Any input will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]
First I can't believe you would destroy a mosin like that? Actually one of the better mosin sporterizing I have seen, just don't post in the C&R section unless you have a flame suit.

As far as the pistol build, I would look at the raptor charging handle, I like them better than the BCM ambi CH. The other thing is I would go with the KAK Super tube with the castle nut, instead of the phase5 if you plan on doing the SIG brace that I highly recommend, makes a pistol usable IMHO. I would also look at the magpul pro BUIS, if that is the plan. A set of the pros can be found for $125 a over the internet.

Otherwise looks like a great build
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol, it's not destroyed it's been upgraded. Plus I have another one untouched.

Thanks for the info.

What about the phase 5 buffer tube makes using a sig brace unusable? And also why would you prefer the Magpul pro BUIS?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You can use the SIG brace with the phase5 but once its on there it stretches it out so if later you want to go to the kak you will have to buy a new brace too. I just don't know why you wouldn't use a tube that was designed for it instead of one that was not. As far as the magpul pros, they are lower profile, slimer and made of metal. They are marginally more expensive than thre polymer ones, they also have more adjustment
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can use the SIG brace with the phase5 but once its on there it stretches it out so if later you want to go to the kak you will have to buy a new brace too. I just don't know why you wouldn't use a tube that was designed for it instead of one that was not. As far as the magpul pros, they are lower profile, slimer and made of metal. They are marginally more expensive than thre polymer ones, they also have more adjustment

View Quote
Phase 5 has a new pistol extension out made for the SB15...

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.  Here is their new design.

http://phase5wsi.com/hex-2-pistol-buffer-tube-hex-2-clone.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lol, it's not destroyed it's been upgraded. Plus I have another one untouched.

Thanks for the info.

What about the phase 5 buffer tube makes using a sig brace unusable? And also why would you prefer the Magpul pro BUIS?
View Quote

Absolutely nothing.
The Phase 5 is fattish, the brace will be held in any position
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I noticed that some of the members recommend installing an H2 buffer and upgrading the extractor spring to prevent failures. Will the Phase 5 buffer suffice?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I noticed that some of the members recommend installing an H2 buffer and upgrading the extractor spring to prevent failures. Will the Phase 5 buffer suffice?
View Quote
Receiver extensions (pistol or carbine) generally come with a standard buffer, and the recommendations mentioned above are solid advice...

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally I would not buy the phase 5 pistol extension tube. It leaves a space at the end you need to put a cap on and doesn't increase the OAL.

If I was building a 7.5 again I would built it the same way with Sig brace on their normal pistol tube because I would have no reason to ever remove the brave and put it in a different tube. Plus I know that it will stay snug and not budge at all.

If I was building a 10.5 then I would use the kak tube for the added OAL so I could use a vfg if I wanted
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Personally I would not buy the phase 5 pistol extension tube. It leaves a space at the end you need to put a cap on and doesn't increase the OAL.

If I was building a 7.5 again I would built it the same way with Sig brace on their normal pistol tube because I would have no reason to ever remove the brave and put it in a different tube. Plus I know that it will stay snug and not budge at all.

If I was building a 10.5 then I would use the kak tube for the added OAL so I could use a vfg if I wanted
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't matter if you would purchase one.  It is another option for the SB15, which is why I posted...

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter if you would purchase one.  It is another option for the SB15, which is why I posted...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're getting defensive because I posted my opinion as a response to your opinion? Chill bro, I didn't mean to offend
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
So I finally got my lower in after waiting over a month, PSA was slacking for some reason and I had to call them and see what was going on.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/20140718_134244_zpsaztsdoah.jpg

I also changed my build quite a bit. I decide to make the pistol more practical so i opted to go with a 10.5in barrel. In addition i just purchased a Midwest Industries SSK - 12" rail, a PSA Nickel Boron BCG and a PSA blem upper since it was on sale for $40!!!

Im going to a local gun show this weekend and hoping to pick up a few more parts. Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I hear all these bad things about psa and their shipping but I have ordered from them many times and never have an issue.  I have always got whatever I order within a month at the most (and that is probably a little bit of a stretch even).
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hear all these bad things about psa and their shipping but I have ordered from them many times and never have an issue.  I have always got whatever I order within a month at the most (and that is probably a little bit of a stretch even).
View Quote

My BCG and Upper has shipped already so i should see it by the end of the week. I think the issue before was just cause they had to contact the FFL.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly the biggest problem with PSA is that in a world of a amazon prime and midway normal time between ordering and getting your stuff is a week. They are easily twice that on a good order and it makes people grumpy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Honestly the biggest problem with PSA is that in a world of a amazon prime and midway normal time between ordering and getting your stuff is a week. They are easily twice that on a good order and it makes people grumpy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. I remember 6-8 weeks for delivery from catalogs in the pre internet days.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you guys think that the KX5 is really worth purchasing?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
My PSA blemished upper came in today...

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/20140813_172614_zpszwwvx0w9.jpg

Tomorrow I should have my BCG! At this rate ill be done next week!
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Got the PSA BiN BCG in as well as the Midwest Industries 12" SSK Keymod rail. So stoked to get this thing put together.  Hopefully the vendors at the gun show this weekend will have the parts I'm looking for. My barrel shipped from Mas Defense yesterday so I expect to have that Monday.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/2014-08-15%2017.42.05_zpspjbvsczf.jpg
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Alright guys, so the gun show has 95% of what I needed all but the Noveske kx5.  I got it put together but ran into some issues. I wound up getting a BCM mod 3 large charging handle.

1. Couldn't get the barrel torqued down between 30-60 ft lbs so that I could get the gas tube in. I currently have it torqued to about 25 lbs which allowed the gas tube to fit between the teeth on the barrel nut. What should I do?

2. The BCG won't fully close when feeding a round and fails to eject.  I did not fire the pistol only tried to cycle it manually.

Other than that it went together quite nicely.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/20140817_163651_zps7bk2pgm5.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/20140817_163636_zpsfkocltw9.jpg
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Barrel nut torque spec is 30-80 ft/lbs.

Use grease, Tighten it up, then loosen it a couple of times, then take it to 30 ft lbs, if not lined up keep tightening until it does, should line next one up before you hit 80.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Barrel nut torque spec is 30-80 ft/lbs.

Use grease, Tighten it up, then loosen it a couple of times, then take it to 30 ft lbs, if not lined up keep tightening until it does, should line next one up before you hit 80.
View Quote

Midwest Industries instructions say to torque between 30-60 ft lbs and to not exceed... I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#23]
It seems as though the round won't fully seat in the chamber. I have a .223 Wylde barrel and the ammo I have at the moment is just 55gr. Federal .556.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/20140818_214914_zpswny2nlhn.jpg
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a similar problem with getting the right torque on my MI gen 2 rail. If you contact them, they will probably give you a new nut. That fixed my problem with torque value. Also, they told me I could go up to 80 ft-lbs if I used a full sized armorer's wrench, but to keep it at 60 if using the free one that came in the package. You could also use a barrel shim or an upper receiver lapping tool. Do NOT try to get by with only 20 ft-lbs torque. Contact Andy Yohnk at MI Customer Service. He will do right by you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had a similar problem with getting the right torque on my MI gen 2 rail. If you contact them, they will probably give you a new nut. That fixed my problem with torque value. Also, they told me I could go up to 80 ft-lbs if I used a full sized armorer's wrench, but to keep it at 60 if using the free one that came in the package. You could also use a barrel shim or an upper receiver lapping tool. Do NOT try to get by with only 20 ft-lbs torque. Contact Andy Yohnk at MI Customer Service. He will do right by you.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I'll be giving him a call.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#26]
The BCG stops there if letting it go forward on it's own power?

Does it do that totally unloaded as well?

No point in me trying to guess at it without knowning that info first.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

It'll close fully when unloaded. That is with pulling the bcg back fully and letting it go.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It'll close fully when unloaded. That is with pulling the bcg back fully and letting it go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm interesting.  I want to hear why so in for the answer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#30]
That one didn't get test fired  
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I spoke with MAS Defense this morning and we tried to determine if anything else but the barrel was the problem, but we could not. I have sent the barrel back to them and they are going to attach it to one of their upper and see what is going on. They also told me that this is the first time they have had a problem with a barrel... They thought that maybe the gas key on the BCG was hanging up on the gas tube, but that wasn't the case. So either my BCG is screwed up or the barrel is. My money is on the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Yea, thats not sketchy at all...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yea, thats not sketchy at all...
View Quote

lol, just a little bit, but they reassured me that it would be rectified. We shall see...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Got my Noveske KX5 in over the weekend! I should hear back from MAS Defense regarding the barrel today. Will update soon.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/20140825_082828_zps5f2gdyub.jpg
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I spoke with MAS Defense and it turns out that the barrel is fine, they said that installed it on one of their uppers and used a spikes tactical BCG and a different BCG and both worked fine. They were able to cycle the bolt and manually eject 30 rounds. It seems there is an issue with my PSA BCG. What should i be looking for? Maybe the extractor is stuck closed?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Alright guys I figured it out. Turns out the ejector is not depressing fully. I had a buddy of mine bring his BCG over and I threw it in to see if his would work, which it did. I then disassembled his and installed his bolt in my bolt carrier, it worked great. I compared the function of the 2 ejectors and it was clear that mine would not fully depress. I'm going to call PSA tomorrow and see what happens. Anyways here is the pistol fully assembled!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2625_zps61769356.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2630_zpsa7f19104.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2631_zps5f5cc981.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/driftclubforza/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2632_zpsc81a471b.jpg

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Got my sig brace and Magpul MOE K grip installed. Now just waiting for my Magpul frint sight.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top