Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2014 4:48:03 AM EDT
So I am going to start a build and I am having a Hell of a time deciding what direction to go. I have a 5.56 10.5" SBR, and I have my BCM midlength EAG. So my initial thought is it would be fun to build a 300 BLK pistol. I already ordered a matched set Aero Precision stripped upper and lower in FDE Cerakote to build on.

I love the idea of the 300 BLK. My only real hesitation is the fact that ammo is still scarce. Yeah, I can find higher end hunting rounds and similar, but nothing to plink with. Local stores, except one I think, even stock 300BLK.

Will ammo become more readily available anytime soon? Is it worth building?

-Tony
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

View Quote
why do you think anyone can answer that question with any certainty?

BTW there are hundreds of threads discussing this in the variants as well as GD

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:09:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, why should anyone rely on someone else for info on anything then I guess eh? Isn't that part of why we are here? To hopefully get info from people that might have better or more info than they do?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Obviously there's start up costs in terms of both money and time investment but reloading for 300blk is about the best way to actually be able to shoot 300blk.   When everytime you pull the trigger you're thinking "That was two bucks, that was two bucks, that was two bucks" it makes it hard to pull that trigger.  

A single stage set up isn't all that expensive to get into and then you can shoot for well under 50 cents a round.  It doesn't take that many rounds to cover the cost of the reloading set up.  And once you've covered your costs... well pulling hte trigger and going "That was 40 cents, that was 40 cents, that was 40 cents"....

Will the ammo come down?  Sure, there could be a breaking point where supply ramps up over demand and savings from making in bulk will in theory get passed down to the user.   The question really becomes when will that happen.   There is a little chicken egg thing gong on though.   If people abandon the cartridge because there's no reasonably priced ammo then no ammo will be made in quantity and the price goes up.  Vice versa if the round gets adopted more and more then more and more competition will come into play to get a piece of that demand and prices go down, which brings more people into the calibre.  

It's the old betamax versus vhs kind of issue in a way.  

But short answer the only way to shoot remotely affordable is reload.  

Also try and determine why you want the cartridge in the first place, what you're looking to get out of it and have a realistic idea of what it can do.  And what it cannot do.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not do both?? Yes 300 BLK is a little on the pricey side if you do not reload, but if you are going to build up a pistol and you do 300 BLK and dont like it or it is just not for you, then you sell your upper and buy a 223/556 upper and now you have that as your pistol.. It is very simple, mags and all your hardware is interchangeable. So you really have nothing to loose. I have bought tons of stuff here in AZ from guys who got out of 300 BLKOUT because of cost and they really had no complaints other then about the availability of inexpensive ammo.. BTW none of them were reloaders.. So just one man's simple opinion..

I have a 300 with a sig brace and I am looking for a 223/556 short upper so that I can play in both calibers..
Just sayin'

Mgunslinger... OUT!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep your eyes open for deals on .300 AAC plinking ammo and buy as much as you can.   I recently bought some for .50 a round and then it was gone.....

AMMO SEEK is a good source.  .64 round currently
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will go ahead with it. Now.....8" or 10" barrel
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking 10.5" and went 12" instead.  Balance is nice!  Just finished this build yesterday.  I just bought 100 rds of Rem 220 sub ammo for .70 each and can make brass from 221 Fireball cases.  I went with LEE three die set for reloading and they are nice.  My first handloads are 125 Speer HP with 18g H110.  Will try some 147g and 173g Military Match next.....very accurate in my M1A.
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp145/CV-23/73c93b94-b073-4350-9f4a-46ab4d921a86_zps670bc17a.jpg
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 2:36:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Ammo is coming around.  PSA has plinking ammo that they have had as low as $.70/round (still expensive, but cheaper than $1.50).  Yesterday CTD (yeah, I know) had ammo for $.60/round.  It is getting cheaper each month.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I test fired my H110 supersonic 125g Speer HP hand load yesterday and the bolt locked back as it should. I'm now ready to head to the range! The stock carbine recoil spring and buffer seem to be fine for this 12" setup. Ejection was positive and did not seem over gassed so I won't need a H2 buffer. With just two rounds fired I am on target at 25yds in the black offhand. The report of this round was quite ear ringing! It was very loud compared to the subsonic 220g load. I realize hearing protection should always be used but I needed to hear the report for the test. This is a real cool round for the AR to be able to run supersonic or subsonic with no changes but ammo. I'm also really impressed with the quality of the Wilson bolt carrier I'm using for this pistol. I see a Primary Arms optic in the near future!
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp145/CV-23/20140429_160156_zpsc7117656.jpg
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top