Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 8:23:21 PM EDT
I've read various posts indicating that changing buffer springs can sometimes correct a fail-to-cycle problem.

What are the options for buffer springs, from the "1911" spring fix, to standard buffer springs, and is there any engineering design to use as a reference for testing, or is it totally 'trial and error' ?

Thanks for the help,

-- Capt_C
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I used a Wolff extra powered carbine spring and a 9mm buffer in mine. A HSS buffer probably would've been best but this gun is on the cheap. Most of the short gas system uppers come overgassed to begin with by companies that want them to work with a wide range of ammunition and configurations. Add something like a muzzle device adding backpressure and the problem compounds.

It's become increasingly popular to purchase an adjustable gas block and avoiding the spring/buffer game.

ETA:
In general, testing involves using your crappiest, most underpowered ammo and the heaviest spring/buffer combo that works reliably.

Mine was still energetic with the combo above with TulAmmo as well as Independence .223 after dirtied up with about 100 rounds.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top