Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GL0CK:

Hopefully someone can shed some light. I have a virgin lower, and a 7.5" barrel on the way. With muzzle device should be <10. In Michigan I am being told by a local gun store owner that I cannot have a pistol under 26" without registering it as an SBR. I wanted to attatch a KAK tube to extend length, now, a bit leary... Can I be over 26", under 26", and how do I measure/ register. Nobody seems to be of any help around this town. I am also waiting on reply from MI state police (I will post with info).
View Quote
I'm not familiar with MI law, but a 7.5" barrel will not get you close to 26" OAL without an extended, permanently attached muzzle device.  You need to ask in the MI hometown forum...

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
My buffer tube will be 9", and muzzle device is 3.5. I figured this was the correct thread, considering the fact that the question is wether a pistol under, or over 26" is g2g. But, I will head over there, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OhShoot] [#3]
Originally Posted By GL0CK:
My buffer tube will be 9", and muzzle device is 3.5. I figured this was the correct thread, considering the fact that the question is wether a pistol under, or over 26" is g2g. But, I will head over there, thanks.
View Quote

Federally, muzzle devices do not count in barrel length or overall length unless permanently attached.

But yeah, ask about state stuff in your state forum or just in main AR pistol forum, have seen the issue discussed there from time to time regarding the particularities of MI law, but they didn't stick since I don't have to deal with them.

One peculiarity I know is that MI measures OAL of folding rifles folded, rather than at maximum extension as do the feds,  dunno if that translates into the pistol world or not too.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Virginia gtg for AR variant pistols.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone found anything on Missouri? I been searching but not really coming up with a definite answer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
OP. This is kind of a dangerous thread.  The laws change often and quickly.  Anyone reading this thread may not take the time to research  beyond this thread and then get in deep trouble.

California should have a big fat asteric next to it.  As noted on the second page here:
www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/546327_Which_States_have_restrictions_on_AR15_variant_pistols.html&page=2
The "pistol" must have a fixed magazine with no more than 10 rounds, which can be accomplished by adding a bullet button.

Another earlier thread, page 7 I believe, talked about the single shot exemption.  Well, that loophole closes on January 1, 2015.  So the only way to get one is to build it up from an 80% lower.  The state will not allow lowers to be registered as "Others" and some states allow.

Also, many here in CA have concerns about actually installing the Sig brace.  While the Feds may be OK with it, our State Attorney General is no fan of guns and I believe that there is no definitive answer yet as to whether the State considers the brace a stock, which would therefore make it an SBR.  I hope to have mine built in the next year (from an 80%) and it will not have that brace.  

So anyone else from CA...take heed.  Read up.  Check out some of the other blogs based out of our <sarcasm> WONDERFUL </sarcasm> state before you start a build.

Otherwise, this is a great thread.  I do believe that the list should be updated in the original post with directions and then the OP update as more information comes to light.  Most states should probably have an asteric with some more info.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:18:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kittykittymeow666] [#7]
Originally Posted By matel1ly:
OP. This is kind of a dangerous thread.  The laws change often and quickly.  Anyone reading this thread may not take the time to research  beyond this thread and then get in deep trouble.

California should have a big fat asteric next to it.  As noted on the second page here:

So anyone else from CA...take heed.  Read up.  Check out some of the other blogs based out of our <sarcasm> WONDERFUL </sarcasm> state before you start a build.

View Quote

THANK YOU.

i posed something similar to this on the last page. and no one updated the info.

from my understanding, you could still technically build one after the end of 2014. but it wont be legal because the SSE has expired.

with that said. i am excited that mine will be done before jan 1 2015. i will document the hell out of mine as well, i want to make sure my ass is covered.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By StonerAR10:
Alabama is GTG. No restrictions on pistols but the law was changed just a year ago to allow SBR to make them leagle here.  Of course where I live in Alabama you can walk into our sheriff's office and hand them $20 and walk out with your CCW permit in 15 minutes. I think some of those Gun Manufacturers in IL should move here and set up shop. Why support such an anti gun state like IL
View Quote

Illinois is a corrupt state and I don't know why anyone would choose to live there. I wouldn't consider it a pro-gun-rights state by any means, but once you have a FOID, unless you live in some of the Chicago area counties, it's not too bad. They do have a amendment to the state constitution that somewhat resembles the US constitution:

“Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
Section 22, Article I of the Illinois Bill of Rights

The "Subject only to the police power" is a big hamstringing of the amendment.

Main restrictions:

1) You have to have a FOID
2) No SBRs or Suppressors

Some of the good things (assuming you aren't in the lame Chicago area counties):

1) No "assault weapons" ban
2) No magazine capacity restrictions
3) A concealed carry permit is not too hard to get (cost of $150 for five years is lame)
4) No firearm registration

Could Illinois be a lot better? Yes. Could it be worse? Yes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
it is mentioned on the earlier posted list that Iowa is GTG.  However, reading through the iowa code does not make this clear.  It specifically mentions that short barreled rifles (anything shorter than 16" barrel, or 26" overall length) is illegal. However it makes no mention of a pistol that I can find.  Does anyone here know or have any additional information on this?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heyyouguesswho] [#10]
Originally Posted By bulletproof210:
it is mentioned on the earlier posted list that Iowa is GTG.  However, reading through the iowa code does not make this clear.  It specifically mentions that short barreled rifles (anything shorter than 16" barrel, or 26" overall length) is illegal. However it makes no mention of a pistol that I can find.  Does anyone here know or have any additional information on this?
View Quote

bulletproof210:  I'm in NW Iowa, have the same quandry as you.  My neighbor is the local police chief and over coffee with both he and our county Sheriff we discussed the variants.  You are correct that the law makes no specific mention of 'AR Pistol'.  The exemption goes to the same grey area as the Sig Brace - intent of use.  If you intend to have a pistol and call it that without a permanently affixed shoulder stock; it's a pistol.  Shoot it as you like, sure.  But it's still a pistol.  

From City Police Chief and County Sheriff, the guidance they sought and researched on my behalf states that without a stock and with proper intent, it's a pistol regardless of how you operate it.  Their understanding of the State Laws indicate that an AR Pistol (AR15 without stock, with buffer tube or SIG Brace on Tube and barrel shorter than 16") is good to go.  Is that every Law Enforcement Officer's or Legal Representative's view of the law?  I don't know.  

One of the local deputies is on the Iowa Legal Advisory Board. He is a huge proponent of passing the suppressor law which stalled last year. I'll try to ping him in a couple days for his take on the Pistol variant.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Kansas is good to go. .. but no one really has them here :/
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:14:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming are GTG, it was mentioned a few pages back and not updated.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread still being updated?  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#14]
In Oregon we can have any Class 3 item you can dream of.

AR-15 pistols are OK to carry concealed although you'd need a mighty big holster.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#15]
In Alabama, is it legal to build an AR15 Pistol with a 12" barrel, or does it have to be under 12" to be considered a pistol? From what I can tell, the law states that a firearm with a length less than 12" is considered a pistol. Would I be legal with a 12" upper, or do I need to build something smaller?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Whisper44:
Nebraska for pete's sake is GTG !  
View Quote

That's good to hear.  How are the gun laws in Omaha?  I've been interviewing for a job up that way and need to do more research on the area.  Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:12:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 46MUSCLE01:
In Alabama, is it legal to build an AR15 Pistol with a 12" barrel, or does it have to be under 12" to be considered a pistol? From what I can tell, the law states that a firearm with a length less than 12" is considered a pistol. Would I be legal with a 12" upper, or do I need to build something smaller?
View Quote

they are saying if you have a "rifle" with a barrel less than 12" its considered a pistol (illegal sbr) you should be ok with any length barrel on a pistol lower
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:

but if the lower transfers as "other" it can be built up sans State Police registration, as the building up happens after the 4473 is filed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
Originally Posted By EdHaney1:

Originally Posted By TitleII:
Keep the reports coming!

No Known Restrictions (NKR) times the number of members reporting with a subjective degree of validity

Pennsylvania................................GTG with registration?
Yes Pistols Purchased in Pa. must be registered with the Pennsylvania State Police unless passed to blood relative or is old enough to not have a serial number. There may be other pistol registration rules that I am currently not aware of. I will find out if they exist.

but if the lower transfers as "other" it can be built up sans State Police registration, as the building up happens after the 4473 is filed.

Correct. For a brief time there, PA State Police told all dealers that ALL stripped lowers must be transferred on 4473 incorrectly and that was remedied not long after.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ar-Bret:
Well,

Mn good to go, and 99% sure wi too...

B
View Quote

Yes, Wisconsin is GTG.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Seriously,  9 pages and no one chimed in from idaho!?!
Idaho has no known issues.  I need
Know you all hate that, but this state is becoming suprisingly California-ish  and who knows what will happen tomorrow.

Wyoming  and Montana  gtg, best I can tell.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Florida is GTG, no worries here at all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#22]
California requires a bullet button, but otherwise gtg as far as I know.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Nebraska is G2G, just treat it as a handgun. We're pretty open on all gun laws with only 2 cities having their own "restrictions"
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Maine- gtg

The only "restriction" is when hunting with the ar15 pistol and the barrel is over 8" you can only have 5 rounds but if the barrel is 8" or less no mag limit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#25]
do commonwealths count as states?  If so ky is gtg
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:41:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ADVrider] [#26]
Originally Posted By heyyouguesswho:

bulletproof210:  I'm in NW Iowa, have the same quandry as you.  My neighbor is the local police chief and over coffee with both he and our county Sheriff we discussed the variants.  You are correct that the law makes no specific mention of 'AR Pistol'.  The exemption goes to the same grey area as the Sig Brace - intent of use.  If you intend to have a pistol and call it that without a permanently affixed shoulder stock; it's a pistol.  Shoot it as you like, sure.  But it's still a pistol.  

From City Police Chief and County Sheriff, the guidance they sought and researched on my behalf states that without a stock and with proper intent, it's a pistol regardless of how you operate it.  Their understanding of the State Laws indicate that an AR Pistol (AR15 without stock, with buffer tube or SIG Brace on Tube and barrel shorter than 16") is good to go.  Is that every Law Enforcement Officer's or Legal Representative's view of the law?  I don't know.  

One of the local deputies is on the Iowa Legal Advisory Board. He is a huge proponent of passing the suppressor law which stalled last year. I'll try to ping him in a couple days for his take on the Pistol variant.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By heyyouguesswho:
Originally Posted By bulletproof210:

I am in the SW corner of the Hawkeye State.  I retired from police service in 2012 after 20 years in Iowa.  I was also a state certified firearms instructor for much of that time.  I know Iowa Code Chapter 724 (the law) inside and out.  The above is correct.  State of Iowa law makes no mention of AR type pistols.  It also does not contain any language concerning minimum or maximum allowable barrel length for any pistol of any type.  It does not prohibit in any way a resident of Iowa obtaining or possessing an AR type pistol.  

To piggy-back what has already been written, as long as you are not shouldering your AR pistol with an agent of the state standing next to you (and for God's sake don't post a YouTube video of yourself shouldering any AR pistol), I cannot foresee any possible negative interactions from any LEO or prosecutor within Iowa for owning, carrying, or possessing any AR pistol.

Now having said that, even though they are 'legal', I am not a big fan of the a Sig Brace or or the Blade thing simply because I see many peeps in our community using them a a stock, especially on YouBoob.  Because of this I fear it will only be a matter of time for the BATF to come down with a set of draconian policies to prohibit their use or sale?

I am glad we have the AR pistol option because SBR's are prohibited in Iowa.  I use a Thorsden's cheek rest kit on a KAK Super Sig buffer tube in conjunction with both my 5.56 and 300 BO 10.5" uppers.  It brings the total overall lengths to around 28" (without flash hider), plus I run a GripStop Mod2 in place of a VFG to further distance myself from any possible negative outcomes with any ambitious prosecutor.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Missouri is GTG. I Just got done building one here and am in the process of building another. I see them in LGS all the time as well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Just registered my AR15 as a pistol in Michigan ZERO problems it is in the State system as verified with a telephone call. It is 24.5 inches total (OAL) and 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:00:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ewetstone] [#29]
For those of us in Connecticut a pre ban lower receiver is the only way to posses a AR pistol or if you owned one prior to the 2013 ban.

ETA: In addition the lower must have left the factory originally as a AR pistol or a virgin stripped lower.

This is my 10.3" 300 Blackout....
</a>" />
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]
"I am glad we have the AR pistol option because SBR's are prohibited in
Iowa.  I use a Thorsden's cheek rest kit on a KAK Super Sig buffer tube
in conjunction with both my 5.56 and 300 BO 10.5" uppers.  It brings the
total overall lengths to around 28" (without flash hider),
plus I run a GripStop Mod2 in place of a VFG to further distance myself
from any possible negative outcomes with any ambitious prosecutor.
"

I've never seen it but is there an ATF ruling on this cheek rest setup?

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

No, it seems the ATF's only possible concern is if you allow it to touch your shoulder.  It appears that if the check rest kit, Shockwave blade or Sig Brace touches your shoulder it is considered "a stock".  None of us have ever been able to find that someone has been prosecuted for it, but I don't want to spend $50,000 on attorneys fees to be the test case.

Quite frankly, how I use my Thordsen cheek rest kit when no Agent of the State is nearby is my fackin' business and no one else's.  You know what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By gnappi:
"I am glad we have the AR pistol option because SBR's are prohibited in Iowa.  I use a Thorsden's cheek rest kit on a KAK Super Sig buffer tube in conjunction with both my 5.56 and 300 BO 10.5" uppers.  It brings the total overall lengths to around 28" (without flash hider), plus I run a GripStop Mod2 in place of a VFG to further distance myself from any possible negative outcomes with any ambitious prosecutor."

View Quote

letter to ATF from Thordsen

Response from ATF
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Regarding the NC magazine capacity restriction to 31 rounds or less: repealed years ago.

NC is a gun friendly State.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:15:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTRob65] [#34]
Edit on top for clarity:

The responses came back and ar15 pistols are legal in RI so long as the overall length is less than 26".

Rhode Island may not be GTG!

11-47-2 (8) states: "Pistol" includes any pistol or revolver, and any shotgun, rifle, or similar weapon with overall length less than twenty-six inches (26"), but does not include any pistol or revolver designed for the use of blank cartridges only.

and 11-47-2 (9) states: "Sawed-off rifle" means any rifle with overall length of less than twenty-six inches (26") and/or barrel length of less than sixteen inches (16").

and 11-47-8 (b) states: No person shall have in his or her possession or under his or her control any sawed-off shotgun or sawed-off rifle as defined in § 11-47-2. Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment for up to ten (10) years, or by a fine of up to five thousand dollars ($5,000), or both.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Kentucky is G2G... of course.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#37]
No restrictions in N.D.  I just ordered some lowers in with the plan to make at least 1 into a pistol, and I assumed when I got them and filled out the yellow forms, that one would have to be entered as a pistol.  They said it just goes down as a receiver and that was it.  Also legal here to have silencers and hunt with them too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#38]
No problems in WI.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By J-A-R:

Michigan Law also has a length restriction.

The definition of the term 'pistol' is set forth in subsection (a) of MCL 28.421; MSA 28.91:

"Pistol' means any firearm, loaded or unloaded, 30 inches or less in length, or any firearm, loaded or unloaded, which by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.'

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By J-A-R:
Originally Posted By WTS-Mike:
Michigan is good to go.
Just gotta register it as such.

Michigan Law also has a length restriction.

The definition of the term 'pistol' is set forth in subsection (a) of MCL 28.421; MSA 28.91:

"Pistol' means any firearm, loaded or unloaded, 30 inches or less in length, or any firearm, loaded or unloaded, which by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.'

I'm not scanning through 10 pages, so if this has been addressed then forgive me.  JAR this is from a 2000 revision of the code.  Latest revision in 2012 states pistol as 26 inches or less.
28.421 Definitions; lawful owning, possessing, carrying, or transporting of pistol greater than 26 inches in
length; conditions; firearm not considered as pistol; election.
Sec. 1. (1) As used in this act:
-----------------------------------------------
(f) “Pistol” means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its
construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

Just to clarify if it hasn't already been done.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 1:12:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AHSGA] [#40]
In the spirit of the thread I have looked through posts and updated the list in red.

Alabama..............................GTG, no restrictions, but bbl less than 12" is considered a "pistol" and regulated as such for CC purposes (Ala. Code 13A-11-70(1)).
Alaska
American Samoa
Arizona.................................GTG
Arkansas................................GTG x 1 90%
California..............................GTG with bullet button - California Penal Code § 12276.1(a)(4) , California Code of Regulations § 5469(a)

Colorado..................GTG, no restriction, but bbl 12" or less regulated by handgun statute (C.R.S. 18-12-101(1)(e.5)). Denver 20 rd max, may not apply to pistol (D.C. 38-130)
Connecticut.......................NO, complete ban. Defined here: Conn. Gen. Stat. 53-202(a). Prohibited here: Conn. Gen. Stat. 53-202(c).
Delaware
District of Columbia...............NO, assault weapons defined as: DC Official Code § 7-2501.01(3A)
Florida.................................GTG
Georgia.................................GTG x1
Guam
Hawaii..................................NO, but maybe with bullet button - Hawaii Revised Statutes § 134-1

Idaho .................................GTG
Illinois................................GTG except complete ban in Cook county (CCC 54-212(a)).
Indiana...............................GTG, IC 35-47-1-6 not a restriction on OAL.
Iowa....................................GTG
Kansas ...............................GTG
Kentucky ............................GTG
Louisiana...............................GTG x1 at 99%
Maine ....................................GTG
Maryland................................OK to build but not sell
Massachusetts...........................NO, but "maybe" if owned before 1994 and you have some special paperwork

Michigan................................GTG with registration? less than 30 inches
Minnesota...............................GTG x1
Mississippi
Missouri .................................GTG
Montana.................................GTG x1
Nebraska ...............................GTG
Nevada..................................GTG -
Nevada Revised Statutes 202.253-369
New Hampshire
New Jersey.....................................NG
New Mexico
New York ...................................Restricted - see expired Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 (pre-ban is GTG––all must be licensed)
North Carolina..........................GTG x1
North Dakota
Northern Marianas Islands
Ohio....................................GTG
Oklahoma................................GTG, but no concealed carry - Oklahoma Statutes, Title 21 § 1290.2.2.a

Oregon............................. GTG
Pennsylvania....................GTG. http://nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/compendium-of-state-firearms-laws.aspx
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island.........................GTG, treated as any other firearm. If OAL under 26" firearm is considered a pistol. R.I. Gen. Laws 11-47-2(8).
South Carolina.......................GTG, no restrictions at all. http://nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/compendium-of-state-firearms-laws.aspx
South Dakota
Tennessee...............................GTG
Texas............................................GTG 100% confirmed - treated as any other handgun
Utah ......................................GTG
Vermont.................................GTG x1
Virginia...................................GTG X2
Virgin Islands
Washington..............................GTG x2 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3385&d=1280151535
West Virginia...........................GTG - http://www.wvago.gov/pdf/BookletWVFirearmLaws.pdf
Wisconsin...............................GTG x1 at 99%
Wyoming ................................GTG
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#41]
So what's the deal with NY?  I was about to ship a 10.5" upper that way but decided against it until I can get clarification.  It is not a pre-ban upper.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmEngRifles] [#42]
ADVrider, Like that buffer tube combo! Right on. BUT, I am taking full advantage of the Sig Brace while things are GTG. Should that change, I will remove and dog bone for a future date. :-)

I LOVE my native home state for the Good Ole' Boys that are still left in many places. Thank God for Florida standin' up for the Constitution.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks Am,

I have built another AR pistol and this time I'm using the Shockwave Blade.  I like it a lot.  It looks good, is light weight, and I bought it cheap recently on a daily deal somewhere here on the interwebz.  I'll post up some pix soon.  I love the Thordsen cheek kit and the Shockwave Blade, as it lets peeps like me skirt the SBR bullshit.

I enjoy Florida, as my in-laws live in Bradenton and we get there a couple times a year.

Be safe,

Trent

Originally Posted By AmEngRifles:
ADVrider, Like that buffer tube combo! Right on. BUT, I am taking full advantage of the Sig Brace while things are GTG. Should that change, I will remove and dog bone for a future date. :-)  

I LOVE my native home state for the Good Ole' Boys that are still left in many places. Thank God for Florida standin' up for the Constitution.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#44]
North Dakota is a free state. It is a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Cook county IL ban is preempted by numerous home rule communities.

Cook and chicago bans are prempted entirely if tou have a ccp.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:31:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PSTLWHP] [#46]
Hello all. Thanks for this thread. I travel around to multiple states and find this knowledge priceless.

Edit:

Found it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Nh is gtg
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:51:03 AM EDT
[#48]
If you are going to carry the AR-15 pistol loaded in Virginia (car, bug out pack, under your coat, etc.) You cannot have a loaded magazine which holds more than 18 rounds if it is carried with a CHL. In OHIO, we can carry AR-15 pistols loaded with our CHL with any size magazine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:16:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Also be aware that if you have an AR-15 pistol with an overall length of less than 26" it is considered a pistol, like with standard pistol buffer tube and 10 1/2"  barrel, but if you add a longer length  12" barrel then it becomes a firearm if the overall length is over 26" as many shooters do this in order to add a vertical pistol grip legally without it being registered as an AOW. The big issue here which many do not know is that under federal law, if you decide to conceal a firearm which is has an overall length of over 26" but has no shoulder stock and it's barrel is less than 16"and it has a second vertical grip , it becomes an unregistered AOW and that's a felony. As long as your state's pistol definition does not care about the overall length of the AR-15 pistol and you want to carry it loaded and concealed just be sure that it if you built it over 26" so that you can attach the front vertical grip, remove that grip before concealing it loaded.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:36:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Posted By rightwingnut
doesn't OH have some law against having a magazine of more than 32 rds inserted in a gun and doesn't NC define a machine gun as a gun w/ a capacity of 30 or so rds, regardless of whether it has actual full - would matter if carrying concealed.

Law in Ohio was changed in 2016. We could always own magazines over 30 rounds but not allowed to use them in semi-autos (except .22 and registered mgs) but almost no one got prosecuted for it unless it was another charge added to bigger crime. Although there was a $50 permit that you could get from the sheriff's office which allowed this. Anyway it's gone and you can open carry an AR-15 with a beta mag (or conceal a pistol with a 100rd mag with a CHL for that matter) and no one can do anything to you here.
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top