Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 36
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
New Ruger SFAR Rifle: The Smallest .308 AR?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
I picked up my 16" SFAR from my FFL a couple of hours ago. Weighing it on my cheapo bathroom scale with an unloaded mag, no sling, and a Monstrum Tactical Spectre 1-6 LPVO on it, it weighs 8.6 lbs.  Monstrum's website says the optic and mount weigh 17 oz, the mag is supposed to weigh 7.2 oz and the rifle 6.8 pounds. So that about adds right up at 8.4 lbs from published specs. To me that falls within margin of error of the shit scale.

ETA:  I weighed it on a better scale and in the above configuration it weighs exactly 8.5 pounds.
View Quote

Where'd you pick it up?  I've been checking the webs for anything local and not having any luck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm waiting to see pictures of somebody throwing an AR-15 upper receiver on this bad boy to see how they match up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dissident:

Where'd you pick it up?  I've been checking the webs for anything local and not having any luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dissident:
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
I picked up my 16" SFAR from my FFL a couple of hours ago. Weighing it on my cheapo bathroom scale with an unloaded mag, no sling, and a Monstrum Tactical Spectre 1-6 LPVO on it, it weighs 8.6 lbs.  Monstrum's website says the optic and mount weigh 17 oz, the mag is supposed to weigh 7.2 oz and the rifle 6.8 pounds. So that about adds right up at 8.4 lbs from published specs. To me that falls within margin of error of the shit scale.

ETA:  I weighed it on a better scale and in the above configuration it weighs exactly 8.5 pounds.

SHTF Tactical online
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hellion-Productions] [#5]
Edit: dupe review vid.

Sorry.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Looks like it blows out if there's significant overpressure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ctfish15:
Originally Posted By Ky_Bob:
Originally Posted By ctfish15:  Aha, found it. https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/716i-tread-barrel-screw.427532/

It's the sig tread 716i, "backs up the extractor in case of a catastrophic failure" . So it's not a vent.

https://www.sigtalk.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.sigtalk.com/attachments/th-jpeg.472846/

"backs up the extractor in case of a catastrophic failure

How does it accomplish this? How does it back it up?

Dunno. More unicorn features.

Never heard of an extractor being used to manage overpressure.…

I think it’s so you can stick something in there to remove a stuck case. But I’m guessing and I’ve been wrong a bunch of times.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

I just finished building this Aero M5. 18” barrel. Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x50. It’s meant as a bench rifle, although I have a Ferro Concepts padded slingster should I want to carry it.

It’s a 12lb gun as you see it

I’m going to shoot it for the first time this weekend. With the brake and all the pudge, I think it’ll be a soft shooter. Has an agb and 5.5oz rifle buffer.

I’m going to be curious as to how the recoil is on these 8lb 308 rifles. Hopefully there’s some honest video out there soon.

Administrative Results just released a video of a lightweight hK AR pattern 308. But I don’t remember the operating system. I believe it was a piston gun.

He commented on the recoil being pretty stout.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

I think it’s so you can stick something in there to remove a stuck case. But I’m guessing and I’ve been wrong a bunch of times.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Originally Posted By Ky_Bob:
Originally Posted By ctfish15:  Aha, found it. https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/716i-tread-barrel-screw.427532/

It's the sig tread 716i, "backs up the extractor in case of a catastrophic failure" . So it's not a vent.

https://www.sigtalk.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.sigtalk.com/attachments/th-jpeg.472846/

"backs up the extractor in case of a catastrophic failure

How does it accomplish this? How does it back it up?

Dunno. More unicorn features.

I wasn't speaking of the extractor, but extractors blow out all the time in overpressure events.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Purchased the 16".  Paid less than $1K at a local shop.  Apparently the 20" sold the minute they put it on the wall.

It is surprisingly light.  I have not weighed the rifle but subjectively it feels no heavier than my 6920.

Trigger is light but the break it mushy.

Only had a chance to shoot at a 25 yard indoor range.  The felt recoil was less than expected  - I assume it is thanks to the muzzle brake.  Ran 60 rounds of Prvi through the rifle.  It functioned 100% at gas setting #3.

That being said, the muzzle brake has to go.  I understand that shooting indoors was not the intended purpose of this rifle but I can imagine even on covered outdoor ranges the 'boomer' brake will be obnoxious.

Next step is to spin on a flashhider, probably add a thicker recoil pad, and throw on an acog to try it out at a 300 yard range.

In states where cans are legal or hog hunting is prevalent, I bet this rifle will shine.  Here in Illinois, I am not exactly sure why I bought it.  At least it's loud!
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:18:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jaqufrost] [#11]

View Quote
No, it sits behind the extractor and keeps it from bulging outwards when a case fails.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

No, it sits behind the extractor and keeps it from bulging outwards when a case fails.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Looks like it blows out if there's significant overpressure.

Neat!
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#13]
https://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/ruger-sfar-308-12445120

Some detailed photos with measurements.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NateIU10:
https://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/ruger-sfar-308-12445120

Some detailed photos with measurements.
View Quote

This is awesome, thank you!
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I am here just thinking that converting it to 6.5 CM and it would make a nice hunting option.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Strayz:
I am here just thinking that converting it to 6.5 CM and it would make a nice hunting option.

View Quote

That's why I got this one in .308, for a lightweight hunting option in 308.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Strayz:

View Quote

Be willing to bet that one is already in the pipeline from Ruger.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By thebert:

Be willing to bet that one is already in the pipeline from Ruger.
View Quote

If this platform sells, and performs, as expected you will see variants rather quickly I'd guess
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:26:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, I stopped by the local fun store, and I now have one. I picked up the 16 inch barrel and I do plan on shooting it suppressed. I have been planning on building a Aero Precision M5 this winter, this just happened to derail that plan.

First things first.
It seems really light in comparison to other AR10 pattern rifles. Now I am not saying it is earth shattering light, but oz = pounds when having to pack it around the side and over the top of a mountain. Ruger does deserve some credit for this. I have not seen or handled the other options (AR15 / 7.62x51 rifles) on the market, so take it for what that is worth.

I will be removing the compensator on the rifle. I have the Comp for my Sandman S that is going to be on the end.

Yeah the suppressor is adding on a ton of weight out front and I may be getting a lighter suppressor to live on it if I really like the rifle.

It feels decent made, not cheap. It is nice that it has Magpul furniture on it so you can replace it if you want. My stock seems super tight on the buffer tube, I am not going to complain (one less rattle many AR pattern firearms have).

The Trigger, WOW. They say it is supposed to be 4.5? I need to get a trigger scale on mine, because it sure doesn't feel 4.5 pounds it feels more like a 2.5 to 3ish. That may be me, so I need to get a scale on that to make sure I am not delusional.  

It is shorter and feels a lot shorter than the other AR10 pattern rifles.  May have to do with a 16 inch barrel and moving the center of gravity back towards the shooter.

Now I need to wait until this weekend to send a few rounds down range.

Things I am going to put on it.
1-6 or 1-8 LPVO unsure about what optic I want to put on this. I am not a sniper and 400-600 is what I would say is my max range. I am sure it is very capable of 800 yards in someone else's hands just not mine right now, it is a 16 inch barrel. So I will keep my expectations reasonable.

Suppressor it is going to have a sandman S on it for right now.

Thoughts on putting on a light or bipod?

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Strayz:  Thoughts on putting on a light or bipod?
View Quote

Are you going to hunt hogs or burglars w/ it?  If yes, then light.  Keep in mind, if hunting burglars, you're talking about setting off a .308 inside your house.  Probably want that suppressor mounted 1st.

Bipod - sure, w/ that can.  Be tempting to see how you like it in the field w/ your new muzzle device & a blast can mounted, no bipod.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

Some poor fool will buy that then be screwed when the bolt grenades after a few hundred rounds.
View Quote

I have one that I bought new in, I think 2005 before I knew better. For some reason, Bushmaster machined a groove in the boat tail.  The bolt can come apart there.  From what I have gathered, the problem wasn't usually noticed until it was field stripped for cleaning and the bolt came out in two pieces.  I would hardly call that grenading.

In either case, if it fails, all you would need to do is purchase a RRA complete bolt carrier group.  You could just purchase the bolt, but you would have to have the Bushmaster carrier machined to accept the larger diameter boat tail of the RRA bolt.

I would hardly call that being screwed.  Just fixing a broken gun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#23]
The pin you're seeing in the barrel extension is something Sig put into the 516 (and later rifles) for their Over the Beach testing. It holds down the extractor in the case that the barrel is obstructed, like full of water or something, so the extractor doesn't fail and rather pressure blows out the barrel.  

Other OTB changes have been drain holes in the receiver extension, and a chamber designed to better support the case. The goal is being able to fire the rifle immediately after removing it from the water. I believe alot of these changes began with the 416.

Huh. Where did I see a bolt with one big ejector? Must have been the Rogue

Edit: rogue has one
View Quote

The Adam's Arms version of the DPMS GII design uses one large kidney bean shaped extractor.  

The GII also used some proprietary steel on the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By sowinskian:
The pin you're seeing in the barrel extension is something Sig put into the 516 (and later rifles) for their Over the Beach testing. It holds down the extractor in the case that the barrel is obstructed, like full of water or something, so the extractor doesn't fail and rather pressure blows out the barrel.  

Other OTB changes have been drain holes in the receiver extension, and a chamber designed to better support the case. The goal is being able to fire the rifle immediately after removing it from the water. I believe alot of these changes began with the 416.

The Adam's Arms version of the DPMS GII design uses one large kidney bean shaped extractor.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sowinskian:

Huh. Where did I see a bolt with one big ejector? Must have been the Rogue

Edit: rogue has one

Great info and thanks for sharing. I can believe the OTB stuff as a reasonable explanation. Kind of like the Glock marine spring cups.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:
A sub 7 pound 308 AR at Armalite DEF10 prices but with more features except for that 4140 barrel.

Mixed feelings here
View Quote

LOL...Barrett uses 4140...
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I might pick one up in 20"
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:47:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#27]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

View All Quotes
A sub 7 pound 308 AR at Armalite DEF10 prices but with more features except for that 4140 barrel.

Mixed feelings here

Yea, I don't see shooting out a CHF nitrided 4140 308 barrel.

The cost in ammo, even if reloading!
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I might pick one up in 20"
View Quote

I think you should!

I got one last Thursday….
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Mixed feelings here

um okay?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By STJ:

View All Quotes

Mixed feelings here

Neither do I, but not for the argument of ammo prices.

I bought it to hunt with as a lightweight option that won't be a burden when slung. It's not for gun golf or rifle courses and neither for SHTF. I have an Armalite DEF10 for that if a 308 is needed over an AR15.

When I decide to buy something, I do want the most for my money. While 4150 CHF and CL would be better, I rationalized over case use and decided to buy based on that alone. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:37:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Melvin_Johnson] [#31]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:11:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#32]
As the owner of AR10's and LR308's, I can never say that the controls would feel off or the guns themselves. Why? Because that was never the case with them. And as an owner of the SFAR too, besides the weight being less the only differences that feel off to me is that in an AR15 size like it's hard to not want to cram an AR15 magazine inside where an AR10 is supposed to go.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:21:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Melvin_Johnson] [#33]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:  So there's no free lunch. I assume a sub-eight pound 308 will kick like a sub-eight pound 308. Not that it will necessarily be unpleasant but it no doubt won't handle like a 223, either. That's a guess since I haven't fired the SFAR yet.

Externally the gun is very familiar. Effort needed to work the charging handle is more but otherwise everything feels correct. Distance to selector, bolt catch, mag release all feel right. The distance the charging handle travels also feels right. Most 308 pattern guns are sort of "off" with everything kind of being 5% or 10% out of whack. Not so here.

Balance is good. But that's naked and empty. I assume 20 rounds of 168 BTHP will offset the general AR15 feel. But it still should feel more or less correct.

The bolt and barrel extension is where the "magic" happens. Ruger claims to be using some kind of hot rod material in these parts. Lug geometry is also supposed to be improved. Too bad the Armalite crew didn't have modern stress analysis tools.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the bolt and carrier.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/852f127bd39f49b5d58dcbf4c8c6d291.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/30b3084e25108d41a57e87b8caf67bf8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/d729c15578ce3bbe9d951c652d5e93ac.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/27b2a4d2fa4cf059da9c50c2985468e4.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/e8c914c59e865028b4abebeccf96f62f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/c0a8eff479727ca33303c7e397a051ea.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/d207a80072971c4077cad86bad88117c.jpg

My opinion may change after I actually shoot this thing but presently I think it is one of the coolest things Ruger has done in a long time. Something like this in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Proof barrel would be pretty much as modern as the modern sporting rifle can get.
View Quote

Does an AR-15 bolt fit in the carrier?  Will the .308 bolt fit in an AR carrier?  Does the Ruger carrier fit in an AR upper?  Does an AR-15 carrier fit in the Ruger upper, or is it sloppy?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#36]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Does anyone know yet what barrel nut the SFAR uses? Will another brand of nut fit? BCM for example so that a MCMR can be installed?  Is the height / tall-ness of the upper correct so it will line up with someone else's rail? I haven't measured anything but it looks like the gas block may have to be replaced with something else depending on which rail.
View Quote
If it is a copy of the POF rogue/revolution -which it appears to be from everything I've seen in photos, it should accept AR rails just fine.

But im interested to know the answer to this from someone who can test it.

I enjoy my Rogue with mcmr 10 rail. Which i may have already posted earlier in this thread.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:49:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: adavis] [#37]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
If it is a copy of the POF rogue/revolution -which it appears to be from everything I've seen in photos, it should accept AR rails just fine.

But im interested to know the answer to this from someone who can test it.

I enjoy my Rogue with mcmr 10 rail. Which i may have already posted rattler in this thread.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20220718_202737_jpg-2541368.JPG

View Quote

It was confirmed in a link shared earlier in the thread that the barrel nut is GTG with AR15 handguards, no clue on if the gas block will be an issue.

And that rifle is sick as hell
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Thanks for the info on the barrel nut. Not that I'm going to run out and change stuff just yet. But it is nice to know the option exists. I think Midwest Industries was the only option for the G2.

Yeah, it is a pretty awesome rifle. Anesthetics are solid. Probably the only thing anyone may complain about is lack of ambi controls. A decent selector and a Norgon ambi catch should take care of most of that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By adavis:

It was confirmed in a link shared earlier in the thread that the barrel nut is GTG with AR15 handguards, no clue on if the gas block will be an issue.

And that rifle is sick as hell

Thanks for the info on the barrel nut. Not that I'm going to run out and change stuff just yet. But it is nice to know the option exists. I think Midwest Industries was the only option for the G2.

Yeah, it is a pretty awesome rifle. Anesthetics are solid. Probably the only thing anyone may complain about is lack of ambi controls. A decent selector and a Norgon ambi catch should take care of most of that.
Ahem... I believe he was referring to MY sick as hell 12.5" 308 sbr with bcm mcmr rail.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#41]
The bolt carrier could use a little bit more fishing on the machining
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#44]
The bolt carrier could use a little bit more fishing on the machining
View Quote

I agree, that carrier is rough as hell.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Thank you for that.  Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By -buckwheat-:

I agree, that carrier is rough as hell.
View Quote

If it's not a bearing surface, does it really matter?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -buckwheat-:  I agree, that carrier is rough as hell.

On Gunstagram, everything matters.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Look again at the bearing surfaces. They look like a file.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -buckwheat-:  I agree, that carrier is rough as hell.

I’d say this matters.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Yeah, that is a little rough...
Page / 36
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top