Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 38
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I am interested in this gun.  In particular the 6.5CM.  I would like an 18" option for that, but that is not offered.

Before I pull the trigger on one.   - I have questions

1)  is there rumor or expectation of any sort of Gen2 version ? And am I advised to await that?

2) initially there were some reliability issues.  Have those been mitigated, and if so, how?  Are we on a gen 1.2 now already?

3) accuracy reports so far appear acceptable - in the 1.5 MOA class or better - from what I can see of recent.  Is that interpretation in error?

4) I will not be running a can.  Considering replacing the factory break with a GAMMA .300 BO one, which are small at A2 FH dimensions.  Has anyone done that?  Results?

5) Is this a proprietary dimension barrel nut - or is it standard AR15 nut threads and dimensions?  

6) for now, I assume there are no replacement BBL options, aside from Ruger?  Does anyone else have the competency to make a barrel extension right, to do so?

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:  I am interested in this gun.  In particular the 6.5CM.  I would like an 18" option for that, but that is not offered.

Before I pull the trigger on one.   - I have questions

1)  is there rumor or expectation of any sort of Gen2 version ? And am I advised to await that?

2) initially there were some reliability issues.  Have those been mitigated, and if so, how?  Are we on a gen 1.2 now already?

3) accuracy reports so far appear acceptable - in the 1.5 MOA class or better - from what I can see of recent.  Is that interpretation in error?

4) I will not be running a can.  Considering replacing the factory break with a GAMMA .300 BO one, which are small at A2 FH dimensions.  Has anyone done that?  Results?

5) Is this a proprietary dimension barrel nut - or is it standard AR15 nut threads and dimensions?  

6) for now, I assume there are no replacement BBL options, aside from Ruger?  Does anyone else have the competency to make a barrel extension right, to do so?
View Quote

6 - two routes:

a) sacrifice the existing barrel, pull off the proprietary Ruger barrel extension, send w/ bolt & barrel blank to any number of barrel makers.  I would expect Paladin Machine would do you a nice job;

b) buy a barrel and BCG from POF, and drop it in the Ruger.  No guarantees, as I don't think anyone's done that, but it looks as if that would work.

As to your 18", just buy the 20" version & chop.  Anyone w/ a lathe should be able to put a proper crown.  You might have to enlarge the gas port a little, which would be an opportunity to replace the extra tall Ruger gas block.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting sub moa accuracy from hand loads with my 308 16". But I also replaced the handguard,  gas block,  and shimmed the barrel to a thermal fit.

Still working on reliable function that also doesn't damage brass.  All my loads so far, and even factory Federal Gold Medal, and PPU ball all damage the brass from the extractor and ejector.  Only really light loads seem to be OK. Adding a heavier buffer has mitigated that a lot.

For me there is a lot of potential but it isn't perfect out of the box for MY needs.  

Not all SFARs seem to have the brass damage problem
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DR2341:
I'm getting sub moa accuracy from hand loads with my 308 16". But I also replaced the handguard,  gas block,  and shimmed the barrel to a thermal fit.

Still working on reliable function that also doesn't damage brass.  All my loads so far, and even factory Federal Gold Medal, and PPU ball all damage the brass from the extractor and ejector.  Only really light loads seem to be OK. Adding a heavier buffer has mitigated that a lot.

For me there is a lot of potential but it isn't perfect out of the box for MY needs.  

Not all SFARs seem to have the brass damage problem
View Quote

My 20 incher gouged the brass for the first 60ish rounds, then went away entirely.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Still working on reliable function that also doesn't damage brass.  All my loads so far, and even factory Federal Gold Medal, and PPU ball all damage the brass from the extractor and ejector.  Only really light loads seem to be OK.
View Quote
Did you give it the Hellbender workover?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:44:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Did you give it the Hellbender workover?
View Quote

I gave it an attempt. I used some sand paper to try to break the edges but the bolt is pretty hard.  Didn't want to break out the deremel and polishing bit.

I fired another 50 or so today.  I should be past the 200rd break in period now.  It's a lot better. Only very slight burrs occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:27:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#7]
Ordered.  Was holding out to see of the WLVRN was going to be a winner, but I think will be waiting a while on that.  And heck, at $905.  I couldn't say no.  

Let's see how it runs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#8]
I finally took a 16" home.  

My made in China scale says that it's lighter than advertised (6.69lbs vs 6.8 on the spec sheet).

Trigger is awesome. Normally I SSAE everything, but I see no reason to replace this. Kudos to Ruger for getting that part right, where just about every other company continues to fail. Even top tier brands.

The rest of the controls seem pretty normal for an AR, except for running the CH. That buffer spring is noticeably heavier, which makes sense. An upgraded CH makes more sense than ever on this rifle.

The rail is just awful. Looks to be touching the gas block. The break is a meme part as well.

It's probably already been covered here, but by my measurement, an 11" length rail would just cover the gas block. Maybe I missed it, but has anyone given the dimensions of the stock rail? If not, I can break out the calipers.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:30:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#9]
Originally Posted By Ekie:
i broke it down this far:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/986/IMG_0555_JPG-2935762.JPG
View Quote

@Ekie - Thanks for that. Great pic.

What extractor does this bolt take?  Standard AR15 extractor?  Standard DPMS/PSA/ETc sized .308 Extractor?   Unique Ruger extractor?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#10]
At first glance the extractor looks like a standard AR-15 unit, but it's a bit longer.  Width is the same.
It also has a half-moon cut near the spring and an opposing bump on the bolt that fits in the cut.  This prevents a standard AR-15 extractor from being installed.
The spine on the back of the hook is also a bit wider.  It can be wider, because the barrel extension cuts are wider to accept the wider and longer lugs on the bolt.
Even though the lugs are longer, the OAL of the bolt itself is the same as a standard AR-15.

Tony

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:54:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#11]
Deleted - Dupe
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
At first glance the extractor looks like a standard AR-15 unit, but it's a bit longer.  Width is the same.
It also has a half-moon cut near the spring and an opposing bump on the bolt that fits in the cut.  This prevents a standard AR-15 extractor from being installed.
The spine on the back of the hook is also a bit wider.  It can be wider, because the barrel extension cuts are wider to accept the wider and longer lugs on the bolt.
Even though the lugs are longer, the OAL of the bolt itself is the same as a standard AR-15.

Tony

https://i.imgur.com/1H5ZWgP.jpg
View Quote

Thank you - you perfectly answered my question.

Does Ruger sell spares? Extractors being a wear item at times.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Tony, what is your opinion on these SF guns?  

I like my Ruger 20”, but it seems “under built”.  Particularly compared to my LF 308, or was the LF just over built?

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#14]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
View Quote

The standard AR-10 bolt and barrel extension are built quite beefy for a .308.  Enough so, they can take a pounding of 26 Nosler with no issues.  Keep in mind, the more you neck the case down, the more bolt thrust you will get.  
I don't know if I would call it over-built, especially as a military design, but it can certainly take an ass-hammering with cartridges much larger than .308.

At first glance the SFAR bolt and barrel extension look sketchy for a .308, but clearly, there is substantial engineering from Ruger that says otherwise.
Ruger would not have made and sold it without a decent amount of safety built in for over-pressure rounds.  However, it is a bit unnerving to see all the gas relief holes added in case something comes apart....kinda like they plan on it happening.
With that said, I am not concerned at all with firing my .308 SFAR, but you sure as hell won't see me loading up over-pressure ammo, opening up the bolt for bigger shit, or any other Magnum mods for the SFAR.
It is interesting that the steel they used for the bolt and extension (same steel for both) is nothing I have ever seen used for gun parts in the past.

Tony

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#15]

The standard AR-10 bolt and barrel extension are built quite beefy for a .308.  Enough so, they can take a pounding of 26 Nosler with no issues.  Keep in mind, the more you neck the case down, the more bolt thrust you will get.  
I don't know if I would call it over-built, especially as a military design, but it can certainly take an ass-hammering with cartridges much larger than .308.

At first glance the SFAR bolt and barrel extension look sketchy for a .308, but clearly, there is substantial engineering from Ruger that says otherwise.
Ruger would not have made and sold it without a decent amount of safety built in for over-pressure rounds.  However, it is a bit unnerving to see all the gas relief holes added in case something comes apart....kinda like they plan on it happening.
With that said, I am not concerned at all with firing my .308 SFAR, but you sure as hell won't see me loading up over-pressure ammo, opening up the bolt for bigger shit, or any other "bigger" mods for the SFAR.
It is interesting that the steel they used for the bolt and extension (same steel for both) is nothing I have ever seen used for gun parts in the past.

Tony

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

With that said, I am not concerned at all with firing my .308 SFAR, but you sure as hell won't see me loading up over-pressure ammo, opening up the bolt for bigger shit, or any other "bigger" mods for the SFAR.

Tony

I'm curious the dimensions and steel grade used for the new ultra high P Sig Fury.  I'm guessing similar?  It will be curious what impact this new higher strength metalurgy will have on the gun world - could be exciting.  Think .380 sized 9mm carry guns?  Next gen-AR's?  60,000 PSI Grendel's and ARC's?  70,000 PSI 5.56?  You can't really do that, you'll need to make new cartridges of new dimensions for Kaboom control, but still - could be a pretty interesting future.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#16]
Thank you Tony.   The gas relief ports are probably a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:41:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#17]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

I'm curious the dimensions and steel grade used for the new ultra high P Sig Fury.  I'm guessing similar?  It will be curious what impact this new higher strength metalurgy will have on the gun world - could be exciting.  Think .380 sized 9mm carry guns?  Next gen-AR's?  60,000 PSI Grendel's and ARC's?  70,000 PSI 5.56?  You can't really do that, you'll need to make new cartridges of new dimensions for Kaboom control, but still - could be a pretty interesting future.
View All Quotes

Tony

The 60ksi grendel seems reasonable.
* I don't know if it Aermet 100 or something even stronger.  3x stronger than Carpenter 158 ?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Thank you - you perfectly answered my question.

Does Ruger sell spares? Extractors being a wear item at times.
View Quote

Spare extractors are available here:
https://shopruger.com/SFAR/products/7352/

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone ran the SFAR with a Non-Adjustable Gas block? Just curious about it. I know I'll probably need to swap my Ruger Gas Block out as one side of it is rubbing against the handguard. I'm probably going to be swapping the handguard out for something like G$ Mk16 15", but I also notice that I may need to adjust the Dust Cover accordingly as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By OldManShinobi:
Has anyone ran the SFAR with a Non-Adjustable Gas block? Just curious about it. I know I'll probably need to swap my Ruger Gas Block out as one side of it is rubbing against the handguard. I'm probably going to be swapping the handguard out for something like G$ Mk16 15", but I also notice that I may need to adjust the Dust Cover accordingly as well.
View Quote

If you do,  you're going to need some sort of way to limit the gas.  The gas port is huge.  I don't have the exact size,  but it's over .100 inch on the 16".
And the buffer is a standard 3oz carbine buffer.  I've switched to the riflespeed gas block and am currently running 7.6oz in an adjustable heavyweight 9mm buffer.
If you do this,  I would also suggest you get through the 200rd(or more) break in period before you do.  Mine has slowly settled down in terms of recoil and damage to the brass over these first 200 rounds. I was seeing pressure signs on factory ammo and my very mild reloads but that has changed.  I think whatever material they use must have some significant wear initially so they set the headspace as small as they can initially. As the bolt wears in,  the headspace may grow slightly and the pressure settles down.  Maybe, IDK.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#21]
HBI ProStock

Any input on these handguards? They are made as a direct replacement for the oem one using factory nut etc. Mlok all over.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm wanting to turn mine into a 308 version of the Mk12.

Craddock Precision has said, in a DM from Instagram, that they plan to be making barrels for the SFAR.

Who is a good smith to send the SFAR off to for this build?  

Also, what route would you take regarding the gas block and AE AEM5-30?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:22:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#23]
Originally Posted By Zip196:
HBI ProStock

Any input on these handguards? They are made as a direct replacement for the oem one using factory nut etc. Mlok all over.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/208088/1000003739_jpg-3211836.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/208088/1000003738_jpg-3211837.JPG
View Quote

Man. I already bought the MI, but if done well, this looks like an ideal design.

I do question the weight. It is the same weight as a 4" shorter MI rail. Considering that, I would guess it might be a bit thin / flimsy (as is the stock handguard).
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:26:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zip196] [#24]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

Man. I already bought the MI, but if done well, this looks like an ideal design.

I do question the weight. It is the same weight as a 4" shorter MI rail. Considering that, I would guess it might be a bit thin / flimsy (as is the stock handguard).
View All Quotes
HBI ProStock

I have a MI SP rail and it has a bigger diameter compared to at least the factory SFAR rail. It also feels real sturdy (MI). I sent an email to HBI to ask about diameter to see if is the same as oem.
I would like to see how the HBI runs using the the ruger barrel nut compared to another brand rail.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:00:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yobro512] [#25]
My hog hunting boi

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:
My hog hunting boi

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/446393/IMG_2214_jpeg-3212324.JPG
View Quote

That looks awesome.

Two reasons I am jealous of those who live in Texas
1. Texas girls
2. Stacking pork bodies looks like a lot of fun
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#27]
My hog hunting boi

View Quote

Interesting, you just dremmel'd off the top of the handguard where the gas block is?   TBH, ... that actually should work..
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Interesting, you just dremmel'd off the top of the handguard where the gas block is?   TBH, ... that actually should work..
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yobro512:  My hog hunting boi

WECSOG is lyfe.  

You can Dremel a LOT off an AR and it'll still work - ARFCOM loses their minds if you do it tho.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:25:57 AM EDT
[#29]

I have a MI SP rail and it has a bigger diameter compared to at least the factory SFAR rail. It also feels real sturdy (MI). I sent an email to HBI to ask about diameter to see if is the same as oem.
I would like to see how the HBI runs using the the ruger barrel nut compared to another brand rail.
View All Quotes
HBI ProStock

I got the MI G4 rail on sale. It is the same internal dimensions as the stock rail.

It was cheap enough that I'm not above attempting to cut a side access point, if I get annoyed with going over the top.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:09:00 AM EDT
[#30]
What's y'all's round count up to now?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes
My hog hunting boi

Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
What's y'all's round count up to now?
View Quote

I'm still under the 200rd break-in period.

I'm currently having an issue with surplus 7.62x51 (German DAG & Lake City) & Magpul mags. The 1st round manually loaded fires and ejects. However a 2nd round in the magazine is not being loaded into the chamber.

Using soft point 308 - the gun works perfectly.

Thinking I need to clean the gas plug.

It reminds me of why I don't like semi-autos that have adjustable gas systems.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:25:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#33]
So, in hand - after shipping, tax, transfer New SFAR 20" 6.5 Creedmoor rifle.  $950  That's just insane.

There's a LOT about this gun I like.   Exxxceeept the gas-block/handguard.  I don't mind either on their own - but holy shit - now I see why all the complaints, that gas block touches the F'ing handguard.  And if doesn't actually, it sure as shit will under recoil!  No wonder everyone has been bitching about that - that's a huge accuracy problem - especially since it won't even be consistent.  How the holy F, did that get past development??? This is completely avoidable.  I was planning on accuracy testing it tomorrow after work, but screw that, i need to fix this before I even bother wasting the ammo.  

Grr..   I have a PSA 13.5" handguard on a spare build kit (which is why I keep a spare build-kit: parts), but it really needs a 12" to clear.  So... well shit, i see now why people talk about hitting these things with Dremel tools.  

My only concern there, is won't that mess up Ruger's legendary life-time warranty, if I Dremel their handguard?

Hmm... but I might be able to adjust the PSA one to fit... though I see the ejector flap is now going to be a problem, since that pin integrates with the Ruger Handguard as the anti-rotation device.    Gah!  This is annoying.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#34]
HBI ProStock

View Quote

@lazyengineer

I heard back from HBI re: above handguard. They are the same diameter outside and .02" bigger inside. 1.36" vs 1.34. Does it seem like that would be enough room to clear gas block? I think the dremel guys were doing a couple thousandths.
I have not picked up my SFAR yet to check.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#35]

@lazyengineer

I heard back from HBI re: above handguard. They are the same diameter outside and .02" bigger inside. 1.36" vs 1.34. Does it seem like that would be enough room to clear gas block? I think the dremel guys were doing a couple thousandths.
View All Quotes
HBI ProStock

@lazyengineer

Thanks!  Alas, that has a cutout for the gasblock location on a 16" BBL - and mine is a 20"
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#36]
So, in hand - after shipping, tax, transfer New SFAR 20" 6.5 Creedmoor rifle.  $950  That's just insane.

There's a LOT about this gun I like.   Exxxceeept the gas-block/handguard.  I don't mind either on their own - but holy shit - now I see why all the complaints, that gas block touches the F'ing handguard.  And if doesn't actually, it sure as shit will under recoil!  No wonder everyone has been bitching about that - that's a huge accuracy problem - especially since it won't even be consistent.  How the holy F, did that get past development??? This is completely avoidable.  I was planning on accuracy testing it tomorrow after work, but screw that, i need to fix this before I even bother wasting the ammo.  

Grr..   I have a PSA 13.5" handguard on a spare build kit (which is why I keep a spare build-kit: parts), but it really needs a 12" to clear.  So... well shit, i see now why people talk about hitting these things with Dremel tools.  

My only concern there, is won't that mess up Ruger's legendary life-time warranty, if I Dremel their handguard?

Hmm... but I might be able to adjust the PSA one to fit... though I see the ejector flap is now going to be a problem, since that pin integrates with the Ruger Handguard as the anti-rotation device.    Gah!  This is annoying.
View Quote

Hop covered that in his video. Just buy the magpul dust cover, if replacing the handguard.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:56:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#37]

Hop covered that in his video. Just buy the magpul dust cover, if replacing the handguard.
View All Quotes

Naw, I see now, it's standard size - the Ruger HG is the only one that engages it in that way, others work fine.

But sloppy sloppy on the gas block, it was bottomed out on the shoulder supposed to be off by a dollar bill), and wasn't even centered right- and no centering dimples on the barrel.
So I pulled it out by that thickness and centered it.  It still won't pass a dollar bill test level of clearance though between the top of the block and the handguard. Bleh, I'll dremel that open I guess, since now it's a PSA handguard and not Rugers I'm screwing with.  But.. Bleh.  

Seriously Ruger, did the project manager have a kid or get the ""I'm just not happy" homecoming right there towards the end when picking handguard dimensions?

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#38]
The Midwest Industries MI-G4M fits the 16" perfectly. As per Hop's video, the 12.6" length allows you to adjust the gas using the standard tool that comes with it in the pistol grip.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/midwest-industries-mi-g4m-one-piece-free-float-ar-handguard.html?_iv_code=MWI-HZ-MIH1-MI-G4M12-625

Ruger's assembly team must be allowed to drink on the job. The factory hand guard screw was loose, and they were not installed with any locktite. One of the gas block set screws was loose. At least the barrel nut seemed about right.

Easily forgivable if all the talented guys designed and built the barrel and bolt. I should get the optic in soon and we shall see.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:08:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#39]
Wow.
6.5 Grendel 20" HBar

Same scope, same handguard - SFAR, with a decently thick 6.5CM barrel

Next question is: can it shoot?  Which I'll be able to answer after I get the handguard adjusted internally for a little more clearance around the gas-block.  Also, still with factory buffer, not sure if folks upsize those to H2's or not?

The part that just kills me:

Cheapest 6.5Grendel ammo you can buy:
.95 cents a shot for FMJ - exclude shipping

Cheapest brass cased 6.5 Creedmoor ammo you can buy:
0.89 cents a round for hunting ammo

Thr elimination of $0.27/shot Russian Steel Grendel ammo is very impactful to the economics.  Combined with SFAR and cheaper 6.5CM and just... wow.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow.
6.5 Grendel 20" HBar
https://i.postimg.cc/VLxz4y0M/20240514_015445.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/fWgztSw8/20240514_014526.jpg

Next question is: can it shoot?  Which I'll be able to answer after I get the handguard adjusted internally for a little more clearance around the gas-block.  Also, still with factory buffer, not sure if folks upsize those to H2's or not?

Thr elimination of $0.27/shot Russian Steel Grendel ammo is very impactful to the economics.  Combined with SFAR and cheaper 6.5CM and just... wow.
View Quote

Cheaper-est Grendel ammo: $0.80/rd
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I read through the thread and didn't see anywhere if anyone posted bcg weight. Would someone who has one be able to weigh the bcg for me? curious as to reciprocating weight of bcg and buffer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:28:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#42]
OK, For those interested, I pulled off the BBL nut to replace the handguard.  The PSA Armorers wrench fits it perfectly.  The Torque Wrench was set at 35 ft-lbs, and it came off easily before it popped.  So the torque was something under 35.  I suspect a good bit, under 35.  I suspect, too much, under 35.   Anyway, transferred over my PSA BBL nut for my PSA BBL guard, and took it to 40 ft-lb.

No wonder people get highly variable accuracy results.  I guess we'll see, but under torqued BBL nuts IMHO aren't good to accuracy.  And gas blocks butted up against the shoulder and inconsistently touching the handguard, would be another.

TBH, for an ultra-light concept SFAR, the barrel on this is actually pretty heavy.  I bet you could have a lot going with a Faxon GUNNER profile on this.  But that's OK, it's still pretty light and for a 1000 yard gun (being a 20" 6.5CM and all), I like this profile.  It's got some well thought out contouring to it, and I have high hopes for this barrel - we'll see!

Also, the timing of the muzzle end perfectly aligns with a VG6 Gamma .300 BO Muzzle device.  Which is the smallest break I can find for 6.5 dia guns, and is A2 dimensioned.  It actually works pretty good, and is externally A2 dimensions.  By eliminating the jam-nut and factory brake, and putting this on, with no jam, I took off almost 2 oz. more.   We'll see, possible it might not take the recoil enough, so we'll find out. I think it will, and it works well on my Grendel's, but we'll see.   Just a personal hang-up, but oversized muzzle devices irk me - give me that extra inch oversize in the form of more BBL please.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#43]
Wow.
6.5 Grendel 20" HBar

View Quote

The similarities and at the same time the dichotomy of performance . It is an interesting firearm.

* and I'm of the mind that Grendel is pretty much the pinnacle of ar15 performance . But at the same time the 6.5cm sfar is basically an ar15 , albeit with a big magwell and firing pin.  

** ideas are like carbonated beverages ; the bubbles merge and grow larger as they ascend .

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:32:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#44]
Originally Posted By 9D1Alpha:

The similarities and at the same time the dichotomy of performance . It is an interesting firearm.

* and I'm of the mind that Grendel is pretty much the pinnacle of ar15 performance . But at the same time the 6.5cm sfar is basically an ar15 , albeit with a big magwell and firing pin.  

** ideas are like carbonated beverages ; the bubbles merge and grow larger as they ascend .

View All Quotes
Wow.
6.5 Grendel 20" HBar

As a HUGE 6.5 Grendel fan, it's kind of rocking my world.   I don't know if this will obsolescence my SBR'd Grendel, we'll see - but my 20" HBAR Grendel is looking really pointless right now

But!  I haven't shot it yet either.

And we'll see how well SuperStainless holds up to 6.5CM pressure in AR15 dimensions.  That's asking a lot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SSTPAC:
I read through the thread and didn't see anywhere if anyone posted bcg weight. Would someone who has one be able to weigh the bcg for me? curious as to reciprocating weight of bcg and buffer.
View Quote

Complete BCG is 11.6 oz on my scale
Stock buffer is 3 oz

I'm currently running a 7.6oz buffer though.( just FYI)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Stock buffer is 3 oz

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SSTPAC:

Stock buffer is 3 oz

It weighs the same as a standard ar15 BCG

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#47]
All done.

Finally got it to pass dollar bill test.  JFC RUGER - how did you get so much right, and blow that?

7# 5oz now

With scope, 9# 2.6 oz - I can lighten that, but we'll start there. (Some technical notes more for my own record - put 32 in-lb on each of the 3 mount/rail screws.  Muzzle device is thread degreased, blue locktitght, hand tight.  It should carbon-lock the rest of the way with time.  Put on a plastic pic' rail on bottom for the quick-detatch bipod.)

Let's go shooting, shall we?

How impressed am I?  I bought Ruger stock today (great Price / Earnings ratio)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#48]

As a HUGE 6.5 Grendel fan, it's kind of rocking my world.   I don't know if this will obsolescence my SBR'd Grendel, we'll see - but my 20" HBAR Grendel is looking really pointless right now

And we'll see how well SuperStainless holds up to 6.5CM pressure in AR15 dimensions.  That's asking a lot.
View All Quotes
Wow.
6.5 Grendel 20" HBar

I'll be interested in how your's does when you take it out .
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#49]
The Aero AR-10 build project from about 10 years ago. I really tried to be weight conscious. Probably should have gone with a 16" barrel. Even with a lightweight scope and mount, 10+ lbs unloaded.

SFAR with MI rail, and slightly heavier scope and mount comes in about 1.25lbs lighter... And WAY cheaper / easier to put together. Well so far. Let's hope it runs. *should* have some time to shoot it this weekend.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#50]
All done.

Finally got it to pass dollar bill test.  JFC RUGER - how did you get so much right, and blow that?

https://i.postimg.cc/5yKcn0pb/20240514-210500.jpg
7# 5oz now

With scope, 9# 2.6 oz - I can lighten that, but we'll start there

Let's go shooting, shall we?

https://i.postimg.cc/nczqN5Rz/20240514-212524.jpg

https://media4.giphy.com/media/I8s0tldV0AaR0nnT9i/giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952sbck3zd9yyyd4ufjy9lw62wog37giat8rp5v5mof&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

https://i.postimg.cc/h4Cd8sDq/20240514-212904.jpg

How impressed am I?  I bought Ruger stock today (great Price / Earnings ratio)
View Quote

The replacement rail you used is shockingly similar to the one it replaced, just shorter?

I guess it's nice and light eh.
Page / 38
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top