Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 36
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:

I’m going to take the dremel to the hand guard where the gas block sits.  It’s close, maybe .020 clearance.

View Quote

@DVCER,
Let us know about the outcome of dremeling clearance, on your handguard. I'm on the fence about it, as I can see it's very tight on mine, would love to see/hear a concrete data point on before and after.
Thx in advance!
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 0ntos:

@DVCER,
Let us know about the outcome of dremeling clearance, on your handguard. I'm on the fence about it, as I can see it's very tight on mine, would love to see/hear a concrete data point on before and after.
Thx in advance!
View Quote

Will do.  I already spent 30 minutes with a file in there just to get that tiny bit of clearance.  Dremel should be easy, and I have no idea if it’ll help.  Barrels do whip around some for sure.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Rickesis:

Surely you don't think the ejector keeps the brass off of the bolt face after firing.
View Quote
Not between head stretch and bolt unlock.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone tried out a Vltor AR buffer system or BCMs version on it the SFAR.?

I had some light ejector marks on my last outing with a pretty standard 308 service rifle load of IMR4895 and a 168gr bullet. Currently using an H2 buffer and may step it up to an H3.

Ejection pattern has been at 2 -2:30 with various rounds.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Beater9C1:
Has anyone tried out a Vltor AR buffer system or BCMs version on it the SFAR.?

I had some light ejector marks on my last outing with a pretty standard 308 service rifle load of IMR4895 and a 168gr bullet. Currently using an H2 buffer and may step it up to an H3.

Ejection pattern has been at 2 -2:30 with various rounds.
View Quote

The tube is VLTOR length with a carbine buffer, as I understand it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you guys see where FN is suing Ruger saying the name SFAR is to close to Scar.....

That is the most F'ed up thing that I have ever heard of...

To bad to sad that FN runs over the buying gun public and then wants to blame others (my thought anyway).  Over price your stuff then cry about it....

All good,

Red
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By badredfish:
Did you guys see where FN is suing Ruger saying the name SFAR is to close to Scar.....

That is the most F'ed up thing that I have ever heard of...

To bad to sad that FN runs over the buying gun public and then wants to blame others (my thought anyway).  Over price your stuff then cry about it....

All good,

Red
View Quote
No. This is the only link I saw on a quick search.
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/litigation/gunmaker-fn-herstal-sues-rival-ruger-for-infringing-scar-mark
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Other than being .308, I wouldn't mistake those two guns or even think about a SCAR and looking at a SFAR.  I have a SFAR (that I haven't shot yet), but won't even look at a SCAR due to cost.  This is FN wasting their money.  Unfortunately, this waste Ruger's money as well and will ultimately make both of their guns cost a little more.

I hope Ruger keeps working over the SFAR and stays ahead of the crowd.  I suspect small frame AR-10 platforms will saturate the market in the new few years.  POF should have had offered a budget version (or more budget version) of their small frame AR-10.  POF is pushing the mid-tier option, so I get them keeping their prices up.  I rather sell 1 gun at $2K vs. 2x at $1K each.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#9]
When switching hand guards do you have to change the barrel nut also?
Or do the Geissele and Midwest Industries work with the factory barrel nut?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a used SFAR coming in and want to get some spare parts. All I see are small bolt parts on the Ruger website. Is it possible to purchase a complete BCG?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:19:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BULLDAWG_556] [#11]
Originally Posted By scarnar:
View Quote

Yes, you will have to switch the barrel nut. A crecent wrench (adjustable wrech) will pull the factory handguard barrel nut.

Edit to strike a mistype.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BULLDAWG_556:

Yes, you will have to switch the barrel nut. A crecent wrench (adjustable wrech) will pull the factory handguard.
View Quote

Will a standard AR 10 vise block work to hold the receiver?

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/products/223-ar-15-308-ar-10-upper-receiver-vise-block
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DR2341:

Will a standard AR 10 vise block work to hold the receiver?

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/products/223-ar-15-308-ar-10-upper-receiver-vise-block
View Quote

I use a standard AR15 upper clamshell...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Hey hey.  Good deal.  I already have one of those!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Yes, you will have to switch the barrel nut. A crecent wrench (adjustable wrech) will pull the factory handguard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scarnar:

IDK about switching, but my factory HG is only held on with a pair of screws.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:
I have a used SFAR coming in and want to get some spare parts. All I see are small bolt parts on the Ruger website. Is it possible to purchase a complete BCG?
View Quote

From what I've heard: no.
They only want to service bolts and barrels. Perhaps due to the proprietary nature of the bolt and barrel extension material.
I expect if this platform takes off,  we'll likely have to rely on aftermarket to come up with spare parts
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

IDK about switching, but my factory HG is only held on with a pair of screws.
View Quote

Whoops I meant barrel nut.... I'll edit my post. Typing slower than I think.... lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Well i used my ar15 clamshell to remove the factory barrel nut.  It worked but it's not quiiiiite right. I think mine is a wheeler,  don't remember.
Might need a different one for installing the bcm barrel nut.  Receiver can twist a little in the clamshell. I think it's because the mag well is wider.

This is just for posterity.  And maybe a request to see what other folks have used.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:01:38 AM EDT
[#19]
A Geissele Reaction Rod works.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Gasman:
A Geissele Reaction Rod works.
View Quote

AR10 specific reaction rod correct?

I've read quite a bit that reaction rods aren't ideal for installing the barrel nut.  By holding the barrel fixed,  the torque is applied to the alignment pin and then to the aluminum receiver where it can potentially damage the receiver and widen the receiver and thus loosen the fitment of the barrel.  Better to hold the receiver when installing barrel nut.  Also the jig I linked above from plastix revolution is very cheap and a lot of people are singing it's praise.  Just wondering if it will work on the SFAR since it relies on the spacing between the takedown pins and I'm not sure if the sfar has the same spacing as other AR 10 type receivers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#21]

I've read quite a bit that reaction rods aren't ideal for installing the barrel nut.  By holding the barrel fixed,  the torque is applied to the alignment pin and then to the aluminum receiver where it can potentially damage the receiver and widen the receiver and thus loosen the fitment of the barrel.  Better to hold the receiver when installing barrel nut.  Also the jig I linked above from plastix revolution is very cheap and a lot of people are singing it's praise.  Just wondering if it will work on the SFAR since it relies on the spacing between the takedown pins and I'm not sure if the sfar has the same spacing as other AR 10 type receivers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gasman:  A Geissele Reaction Rod works.

SFAR uses AR-15 takedown pin spacing as does the POF Rogue, Prescott, & Revolution.  That's why they're so light.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:13:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Britt-dog] [#22]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I want one in 6mm Creedmoor!
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

SFAR uses AR-15 takedown pin spacing as does the POF Rogue, Prescott, & Revolution.  That's why they're so light.
View Quote

Thank you! Then the plastix revolution jig will work and a number of others as well.  

I actually just tried this by slapping an Ar15 upper on the SFAR. It would've fit were it not for the wider bolt catch. The spacing and everything is exactly the same as you said.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Ran the SFAR again today. Changed from an H2 to an H3 buffer to try and get the ejection pattern more towards the three o'clock position.

Ejection was more consistent, but for some reason some brass has more deep dimples from the dual ejectors than others, even when used with the same type of ammo.

Leaning towards an Aero Precision adjustable gas block for it in the future.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
The adjustable gas block on it now not working out? If you’re using commercial brass, you will see a lot more marks than lake city brass. Have owned many AR 15 and 10’s. Have learned to use LC only in AR’s.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#26]

They only want to service bolts and barrels. Perhaps due to the proprietary nature of the bolt and barrel extension material.
I expect if this platform takes off,  we'll likely have to rely on aftermarket to come up with spare parts
View Quote

I am hoping that it takes off and that is an option. I am disappointed in Ruger's inability or unwillingness to offer a replacement/spare BCG. I called them today and even offered to send the unit to them for fitting of a second. The answer was no we do not sell spare BCG unless your has an issue.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By bartlanz:

I am hoping that it takes off and that is an option. I am disappointed in Ruger's inability or unwillingness to offer a replacement/spare BCG. I called them today and even offered to send the unit to them for fitting of a second. The answer was no we do not sell spare BCG unless your has an issue.
View All Quotes

Does the POF bolt mate to the Ruger barrel extension?  If so, a POF BCG might be an option.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Everyone knows that spare parts become rifles.

Just buy a 2nd SFAR if you are that worried about not having spare parts when SHTF.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

A SFAR was on my short list to purchase. Not after that. If i cannot buy spare BCGs, then fuck off.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

A SFAR was on my short list to purchase. Not after that. If i cannot buy spare BCGs, then fuck off.
View All Quotes

Try POF.  Even lighter.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I remember someone posting some pics somewhere in one of these threads about the compatibility between POF Rogue and SFAR. They even swapped the uppers but didn't try shooting them that way IIRC.

Has anyone else done any messing around with these two platforms? I'd love a 20" 308 Rogue, but POF doesn't make such a beast.

I'm curious what's interchangeable.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
I remember someone posting some pics somewhere in one of these threads about the compatibility between POF Rogue and SFAR. They even swapped the uppers but didn't try shooting them that way IIRC.

Has anyone else done any messing around with these two platforms? I'd love a 20" 308 Rogue, but POF doesn't make such a beast.

I'm curious what's interchangeable.
View Quote

16" Rogue, have Paladin Machine make you a 20" featherweight?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

POF will sell you a spare bolt assembly for the Rogue at the low price of $174.
https://pof-usa.com/product/revolution-bolt-and-firing-pin-kit/

Add that to the price of the base 16 inch rifle $1629 = $1803
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/01662

Ruger SFAR's sell for $899.99 x 2 = $1798
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/5610

Just buy a 2nd SFAR if you want spare parts.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By drobs:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bartlanz:  I am hoping that it takes off and that is an option. I am disappointed in Ruger's inability or unwillingness to offer a replacement/spare BCG. I called them today and even offered to send the unit to them for fitting of a second. The answer was no we do not sell spare BCG unless your has an issue.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread cost me $1K so far.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Britt-dog:
Yup.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Britt-dog:
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I want one in 6mm Creedmoor!
Yup.

Or .22 Creedmor maybe? I'm studying both...  Thoughts on which?

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#39]
So if you were to buy a SFAR, and want to replace that ridiculous rail, what's the simple answer?

I like MCMR, but do not wanna deal with the barrel nut issue and wanna give the gas block proper space.

Midwest Industries?

Guys who have BTDT, recommendations are appreciated. Especially with pics. Yes I did read this thread, but this is as clear as mud to me still.

TYIA
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
So if you were to buy a SFAR, and want to replace that ridiculous rail, what's the simple answer?

I like MCMR, but do not wanna deal with the barrel nut issue and wanna give the gas block proper space.

Midwest Industries?

Guys who have BTDT, recommendations are appreciated. Especially with pics. Yes I did read this thread, but this is as clear as mud to me still.

TYIA
View Quote
What is "the barrel nut issue"?

I'd plan to change the gas block as well or get a shorter handguard that leaves or exposed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:02:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#41]

I'd plan to change the gas block as well or get a shorter handguard that leaves or exposed.
View All Quotes

Midwest Industries?

TYIA

What I meant to say is that I don't wanna dick around with swapping out the barrel nut, if it's not necessary.

What the main motivation for changing the gas block?

Let's just say I'm nowhere near a gunsmith and would like to put my days of assembling rifles behind me. Especially working on fucking AR-10s with 69% interchangeable parts. I just want a lightweight rifle in .308 that works, with a normal mlok rail.

Most of my shooting is suppressed these days

Edit your POF rifles with MCMR look badass.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#42]

What I meant to say is that I don't wanna dick around with swapping out the barrel nut, if it's not necessary.

Let's just say I'm nowhere near a gunsmith and would like to put my days of assembling rifles behind me. Especially working on fucking AR-10s with 69% interchangeable parts. I just want a lightweight rifle in .308 that works, with a normal mlok rail.

View Quote
I see. So first off, if you change the handguard, you'll be changing the barrel nut in most cases. I'm not sure what, if any, other handguards are compatible with ruger's barrel nut.

I'm suggesting changing the gas block because that's what seems to be causing the most grief - it's too big to really fit inside most handguards without touching. If you've changed this to a different, lower profile gas block, you can pretty much use whatever handguard you want.

From what i understand with the sfar you can:

1. Get a bigger handguard like the midwest sp
2. Modify the gas block or handguard with a dremel to make it fit

3. Get a ~9" handguard and leave the midlength gas block exposed

4. Change the gas block

5. Accept it how it is

And thanks. It's an mcmr 10 over a midlength strike industries adjustable gas block on a 12.5" barrel.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I see. So first off, if you change the handguard, you'll be changing the barrel nut in most cases. I'm not sure what, if any, other handguards are compatible with ruger's barrel nut.

I'm suggesting changing the gas block because that's what seems to be causing the most grief - it's too big to really fit inside most handguards without touching. If you've changed this to a different, lower profile gas block, you can pretty much use whatever handguard you want.

4. Change the gas block

5. Accept it how it is

And thanks. It's an mcmr 10 over a midlength strike industries adjustable gas block on a 12.5" barrel.

View All Quotes

4. Change the gas block

5. Accept it how it is

Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping the barrel nut was a standard nut type of deal, or at least that it would have a compatible option.

I get that they want to advertise light weight, but Ruger needs to make a version with a non gay rail. Or at least sell a normal rail like everyone else, that can easily swap in.

Maybe I will just cover up 87% of those oversized holes with some panel covers.

Lazy AF these days.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping the barrel nut was a standard nut type of deal, or at least that it would have a compatible option.

I get that they want to advertise light weight, but Ruger needs to make a version with a non gay rail. Or at least sell a normal rail like everyone else, that can easily swap in.

Lazy AF these days.
View Quote

The only barrel nut that is universal is the GI barrel nut.  Nearly all aftermarket vendors use a different system with different sized and shaped nuts so there is not going to be much compatibility.  Any time you plan on changing a freefloat rail you can pretty much plan on having to change the nut as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#45]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

The only barrel nut that is universal is the GI barrel nut.  Nearly all aftermarket vendors use a different system with different sized and shaped nuts so there is not going to be much compatibility.  Any time you plan on changing a freefloat rail you can pretty much plan on having to change the nut as well.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the advice.

Lazy AF these days.

First world problem

So sick of this shit

So what's the go to gas block that fits under MCMR?

It amazes me that the FAL bros invented an awesome adjustable gas concept like 75 years ago, and we can't figure that shit out on AR's in 2024.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I wouldn't be interested unless the rifles had sufficient accuracy.  There are plenty of inaccurate rifles for sale.  A rifle that shoots good 7.62X51 ball ammo into 1.5-1.75" inches at 100 yards, and match ammo into 1" or less at 100 yards.  OR a 5.56 rifle that will shoot good 5.56 ball ammo into 1.25-1.5" at 100 yards, and match ammo into 1" or less.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#47]
Originally Posted By Genin:
I wouldn't be interested unless the rifles had sufficient accuracy.  There are plenty of inaccurate rifles for sale.  A rifle that shoots good 7.62X51 ball ammo into 1.5-1.75" inches at 100 yards, and match ammo into 1" or less at 100 yards.  OR a 5.56 rifle that will shoot good 5.56 ball ammo into 1.25-1.5" at 100 yards, and match ammo into 1" or less.
View Quote

I'm close to that.  I'll allow a little more slop on the SFAR for the weight and size trade-off, but not a lot.  I find for anything short of high end match shooting, 1.5MOA from a .308 class round is acceptable.  Thats 1.5 MOA all day, not the best one of the day though. Even at the 1000 yard gong range, you can do OK with that.  Obviously for a bolt action we're talking hard sub-MOA expectation though - but this is an ultra-light semi-auto large power round gun.  But 2 MOA is a hard no.

I'm watching this thread for 6.5CM accuracy. Right now I'm sitting and waiting between a 6.5CM SFAR, or a 6.5CM WLVRN.   Too soon to make the call.  Though the price is right on the SFAR.  PSA is getting upstaged here by a lot, on this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

I'm close to that.  I'll allow a little more slop on the SFAR for the weight and size trade-off, but not a lot.  I find for anything short of high end match shooting, 1.5MOA from a .308 class round is acceptable.  Thats 1.5 MOA all day, not the best one of the day though. Even at the 1000 yard gong range, you can do OK with that.  Obviously for a bolt action we're talking hard sub-MOA expectation though - but this is an ultra-light semi-auto large power round gun.  But 2 MOA is a hard no.

I'm watching this thread for 6.5CM accuracy. Right now I'm sitting and waiting between a 6.5CM SFAR, or a 6.5CM WLVRN.   Too soon to make the call.  Though the price is right on the SFAR.  PSA is getting upstaged here by a lot, on this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Originally Posted By Genin:

1) large gun company's proprietary rifle that uses many standard parts and has barrels that are easily made and replaced;

2) small gun company w/ a history of indifferent QC that has an entirely proprietary rifle...
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Looks like Ruger does sell some odd small parts for the SFAR:
https://shopruger.com/Parts/products/2450/

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:03:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#50]

View All Quotes

Thanks for the advice.

Lazy AF these days.

That's why I'd prefer a receiver with an "extension" and an inside bbl nut ...then the FFR just slides over the receiver extension and bolts on .
* cleaner look and stronger too
Page / 36
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top