Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2017 8:20:15 PM EDT
I have a PSA rifle that I put together a few months ago and much to my surprise the rifle shoots very well, 2 MOA is not an issue.  

I am considering purchasing a 300 BO upper from PSA, but all of the BO uppers they list are pistol length gas systems.  Is this typical?  I am very new to the this cartridge, so my knowledge is a base line starting.  

Is the upper all I have to change?  Recoil spring and buffer?  

Thanks,

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Pistol length gas tube is typical.

Standard buffer and spring will/should work fine.

Heavier buffer might be in order.

If you reload then you will love this cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, pistol length gas is best in 300.  I would only consider a carbine length gas if the barrel were 16" (and if you were using a suppressor).

If you reload, you can load up supers and subs on the cheap.

I like the Palmetto Projectiles 203gr coated cast lead boolits for cheap suppressed sub plinking.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup, pistol length gas is best in 300.  I would only consider a carbine length gas if the barrel were 16" (and if you were using a suppressor).

If you reload, you can load up supers and subs on the cheap.

I like the Palmetto Projectiles 203gr coated cast lead boolits for cheap suppressed sub plinking.
View Quote
Actually the uppers I am looking at are 16", I am not going to SBR and I am planning to run a suppressor when it gets released.

Looking on the PSA website, they don't offer a carbine length in 300 BO, unless I am overlooking it.

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Pistol even w/ 16".
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#5]
All PSA uppers are pistol gas tube length.

There are some carbine system .300 uppers but they're few to choose from. I've read the 16" carbine system setups don't reliably run subs unless suppressed, while pistol length works with everything.

FWIW my first .300 upper was a PSA 16" pistol system, it runs everything fine with a Full auto carrier. I use an H3 buffer for supers and a std. buffer for subs. Even with supers and a std. buffer it doesn't feel very overgassed.

Now my 8" PSA .300 upper DID have some issues running subs with an FA carrier, wouldn't cycle at all. Switched to a lightweight BCG and it's 100% now.

If you want a setup that works with all loads stick with pistol. I wouldn't go with a carbine system unless it had an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All PSA uppers are pistol gas tube length.

There are some carbine system .300 uppers but they're few to choose from. I've read the 16" carbine system setups don't reliably run subs unless suppressed, while pistol length works with everything.

FWIW my first .300 upper was a PSA 16" pistol system, it runs everything fine with a Full auto carrier. I use an H3 buffer for supers and a std. buffer for subs. Even with supers and a std. buffer it doesn't feel very overgassed.
Now my 8" PSA .300 upper DID have some issues running subs with an FA carrier, wouldn't cycle at all. Switched to a lightweight BCG and it's 100% now.

If you want a setup that works with all loads stick with pistol. I wouldn't go with a carbine system unless it had an adjustable gas block.
View Quote
Good info and good to know, thanks....

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top