Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 3:02:07 PM EDT
Recently saw a 300BO blow up a 5.56 pistol rifle when the owner let another shooter who also shoot BO rounds use his own mag in his AR and he had accidently loaded a 300BO in a mag full of 5.56

SO ... I shoot 7.62x39 as well and I know the round can be loaded perfectly in an AR mag.

But my question is if that happens will that 7.62 actually seat and go into battery if chambered??? The case seems fatter so I would guess not.

I do not expect this to ever happen but it would be good to know.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You would have to have one hell of a spring. The case is much larger so the bolt wouldn't close.

300bo uses basically the same case just shorter.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Recently saw a 300BO blow up a 5.56 pistol rifle when the owner let another shooter who also shoot BO rounds use his own mag in his AR and he had accidently loaded a 300BO in a mag full of 5.56

SO ... I shoot 7.62x39 as well and I know the round can be loaded perfectly in an AR mag.

But my question is if that happens will that 7.62 actually seat and go into battery if chambered??? The case seems fatter so I would guess not.

I do not expect this to ever happen but it would be good to know.

Thanks
View Quote

No, it wont fit in the chamber, and the bolt wouldn't be able to lock.

300 and 556 though... yeah, you've gotta be observant with those two. I don't keep the loose ammo near each other, and 300 only goes in FDE magazines, and FDE magazines only go in 300 BLKs. And I guess the new rule after your story, is nobody else gets to load mags for either gun. Not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No way a 7.62x39 will fit in a 5.56x45 or .300 Blackout chamber. The 7.62x39 is much larger diameter as you can see and the cartridge head diameter is much larger as well so the cartridge will not seat in the bolt face either.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I was 99% sure so I figured I would ask ... I know the 762 is Much larger so I figured as much, but after witnessing the 300BO blow up my brother in laws AR I'm not asking more questions.

How about VISA VERSA? .... I am not sure if a 5.56 will load correctly in an AK mag but if it does what would be the outcome of that considering the 556 round is much smaller then the 762 and would no doubt go into battery.

Anyone know what would be the outcome of a AR 5.56 round accidentally being loaded in a 7.62 AK?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was 99% sure so I figured I would ask ... I know the 762 is Much larger so I figured as much, but after witnessing the 300BO blow up my brother in laws AR I'm not asking more questions.

How about VISA VERSA? .... I am not sure if a 5.56 will load correctly in an AK mag but if it does what would be the outcome of that considering the 556 round is much smaller then the 762 and would no doubt go into battery.

Anyone know what would be the outcome of a AR 5.56 round accidentally being loaded in a 7.62 AK?
View Quote
This....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
What the result of the AK when that 5.56 went off?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top