Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 7:21:52 PM EDT
So i wanted to make a 300blk pistol with a 9" or 9.5" barrel and wanted to get a handguard that sits as flush to the muzzle device as possible, was thinking a MI 9" handguard on a 9.5" barrel but wasnt sure if that would be enough room on the threads to get a rugged surge on without hitting the handguard.

Would i have to step it up to a 10" barrel for that to work or does anyone know if it would be fine?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Would the 9.5" barrel you're considering happen to be a BA version?  Even if not, I'd expect most of them to have roughly the same length of threaded section to shoulder.  On my 9.5" BA barrel 300BO, the barrel nut to muzzle shoulder...where the can should stop at the end of the threads...is 8.75".  So, it appears that a 9" handguard that is truly 9" would probably hinder the can...unless the can has a very small diameter and the MI handguard has a big opening.  I'm not familiar with that handguard.

Now, you mentioned "muzzle device".  If you're installing some type of QD on the muzzle threads that has some decent extension that would place the can further out, well, who knows.  I've always been a can-directly-on-muzzle-threads guy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Generally speaking, I think most barrels are threaded .60" to .62", which would put the rearmost portion of the mount under the handguard. The question you need answered, is how far back, or forward, of the rear of the muzzle device does the surge engage?

Example:

10" barrel, 9.4" of unthreaded barrel, .6" of threaded barrel. True 9" rail.
If the Surge engages flush with the rear of the mount, you'd have .5" between the handguard and the rear of the can, assuming .1" thick shim behind muzzle device to time it. (in lieu of crush washer).
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
General rule is a barrel 1" longer than the handguard allows the shoulder of the threads to sit right at the end of the handguard/rail.

I have an 8" BA 300blk modern barrel and a 7" (or 7.125"/7-1/8th" actual) MI G3 M-lok rail.  It leaves me approximately ~1/8th" between the end of the handguard and the shoulder of the barrel where the threads begin.

Allows me to have my Specwar 762 sit flush with minimal barrel exposed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a BA 9.5" barrel,  first ordered the 9"  thin profile MI rail and it didn't work with a can. The 9" SP series works like a charm though, If you don't mind the outer diameter size.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got a BA 9.5" barrel,  first ordered the 9"  thin profile MI rail and it didn't work with a can. The 9" SP series works like a charm though, If you don't mind the outer diameter size.
View Quote
thanks, exactly what i needed to hear.

guess ill go with the 10" barrel and 9" handguard.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top