Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2017 4:31:45 PM EDT
I am building a large frame AR in 6mm creedmoor. I just ordered the internals (All JP). I have a stock (UBR), and most of the lower parts including trigger (Geissele HS-NM) so all I am left with is the receivers and handguard. I have already decided I want a handguard that mounts to the receiver and not the barrel nut, so that leaves the Aero M5E1 and the Mega Maten MML. The Aero set is $350, the Mega set is $850. For whatever reason, I can't decide which to get.

When I set off on this venture, I had the Aero in mind because I really like the design. The Mega functionally is the same, but is MUCH nicer. I doubt one will perform better than the other so $500 for "nicer" is hard to swallow.

On the other hand, I'm already running premium components everywhere else so might as well splurge on the receivers and rail. Thoughts?

Optic will be a Steiner 5-25 or Gen 2 Razor. Already own both, just can't decide on which to put on. Rifle will see competition use.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am building a large frame AR in 6mm creedmoor. I just ordered the internals (All JP). I have a stock (UBR), and most of the lower parts including trigger (Geissele HS-NM) so all I am left with is the receivers and handguard. I have already decided I want a handguard that mounts to the receiver and not the barrel nut, so that leaves the Aero M5E1 and the Mega Maten MML. The Aero set is $350, the Mega set is $850. For whatever reason, I can't decide which to get.

When I set off on this venture, I had the Aero in mind because I really like the design. The Mega functionally is the same, but is MUCH nicer. I doubt one will perform better than the other so $500 for "nicer" is hard to swallow.

On the other hand, I'm already running premium components everywhere else so might as well splurge on the receivers and rail. Thoughts?

Optic will be a Steiner 5-25 or Gen 2 Razor. Already own both, just can't decide on which to put on. Rifle will see competition use.
View Quote

Sounds like you answered your own question.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Spend the extra money if you have it.

MEGA is the industry standard when it comes to machining, fit, and finish.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol...spend 500 more for what?  My aero set is outstanding and mega has nothing on them.  

Builder kits, both are excellent but one is 500 more.  U gotta be nuts to go that route
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol...spend 500 more for what?  My aero set is outstanding and mega has nothing on them.  

Builder kits, both are excellent but one is 500 more.  U gotta be nuts to go that route
View Quote
Mega has nothing on Aero?

Stop talking...you're embarrasing yourself.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless $500 is a good enough value to have the bragging rights to owning a "true" monolithic upper, I'd say buy the Aero.  

Honestly, the M5E1 is rock solid, you'll never notice the difference...except in your pocket book.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Mega has nothing on Aero?

Stop talking...you're embarrasing yourself.
View Quote
This.

He hasn't built with both. I have, and Mega and Aero are not in the same league. Aero is softball while Mega is Major League and at the top of the league where not many are capable of even claiming to be close.

Aero AR15 receivers and Mega forged AR15 receivers are equals, but that's where it stops.

If you can't see the reason the mega is better, you also can't see a reason why a corvette is better than a mustang, i mean rust stain.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone with the M5E1 post a picture of the bottom of the handguard, particularly where it meets with the receiver? I'm worried the first MLOK section is not close enough to the receiver. That is where I mount a RRS tripod mount and I need it as close to the receiver as possible for balance.

From this picture the Mega gets pretty close. I'm a little worried about the Aero though since there appears to be a sling mount.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, can those with the Mega measure the ID of the handguard? I need it wide enough to fit the JP thermal dissipator.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The sling mount does push the closest M-lok slot out. It starts about 3.75" from the near end of the handguard.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Get the Razor
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:18:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also, can those with the Mega measure the ID of the handguard? I need it wide enough to fit the JP thermal dissipator.
View Quote
The thermal dissipator will fit under the MATEN.  I have one on my 6.5 creedmoor build.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get the Razor
View Quote
Already own both. Most likely going to put the Steiner M5xi on it and the Razor on an ELR gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The thermal dissipator will fit under the MATEN.  I have one on my 6.5 creedmoor build.
View Quote
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]
My friend has a Mega AR15 monolithic upper and said they won't sell him a shorter handguard and told him he had to buy another upper.

If that is the case with the large frame as well and you think you might want to change handguards it's something to consider.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My friend has a Mega AR15 monolithic upper and said they won't sell him a shorter handguard and told him he had to buy another upper.

If that is the case with the large frame as well and you think you might want to change handguards it's something to consider.
View Quote
They tell you that when you buy the monolithic upper.  It's on their website in the product description.

Mega says it's because each handguard is fit to each upper.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Spend the extra money if you have it.

MEGA is the industry standard when it comes to machining, fit, and finish.
View Quote
I've read of members here having issues with the machining on their Maten, and Mega's response was to pound sand.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They tell you that when you buy the monolithic upper.  It's on their website in the product description.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Not sure if I buy it but I know that's their policy. As you know many don't ever read the full description so I just wanted to throw it out there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've read of members here having issues with the machining on their Maten, and Mega's response was to pound sand.
View Quote
I find this hard to believe since they were extremely helpful when my Creedmoor barrel from them wasn't reemed correctly and blowing primers.  I have two matens (one with their handguard and one without, one ar15 with full handguard and about five mega milled billet lowers.  All have been perfect!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got a few MATEN's and all have been 100%.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:If you can't see the reason the mega is better, you also can't see a reason why a corvette is better than a mustang, i mean rust stain.
View Quote
Either will outperform 95% of car buyers and will rarely be used for anything a Cruise/Focus won't do.

Kinda parallels high end gun parts too...
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Was in your same shoes before.

I think decision has to be: do you care about ambi controls which mega has built in and Aero does not. And do you want the longer handguard (16.5 or so inches) mega offers vs the 15" max length of Aero.

If I was running JP components with their XL length gas system, my personal preference would be to get the mega set solely to fully cover the gas block. Not that the mk12 mod 1 look with the GB is bad. Just not my preference.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I find this hard to believe since they were extremely helpful when my Creedmoor barrel from them wasn't reemed correctly and blowing primers.  I have two matens (one with their handguard and one without, one ar15 with full handguard and about five mega milled billet lowers.  All have been perfect!
View Quote
Here you go MATEN bolt catch still doesn't work
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone who is a fan and/or had great experiences always doubt naysayers but anyone who has been around long enough has seen lemons from everyone.

Reminds me of when I worked at a store that carried a lot of high end guns including 1911's. Someone would come in and say that Nighthawk was better than Wilson or are Brown was better than who ever. We saw lemons from all of them right out of the box which was always a little surprising because they seem to get handled a lot more before they ship out vs a production gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Correct. Not sure if I buy it but I know that's their policy. As you know many don't ever read the full description so I just wanted to throw it out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's one of the reasons I didn't buy the monolithic upper.  Instead, went for the matched set with ambi lower.  JP 15.5" handguard will work and I can swap it out later.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm sure it's happened, Mega makes a ton of them.

A select few does not indicate widespread issues. The Aero M5E series are value priced large frame AR receivers and it shows. Full stop.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#27]
So I was all set to buy the Aero, even had it in my cart from Schuyler. Then I checked the mail and saw a refund check from IRS from a claim I filed a year ago and forgot about.

Is this God's way of telling me to go with the MEGA?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm sure it's happened, Mega makes a ton of them.

A select few does not indicate widespread issues. The Aero M5E series are value priced large frame AR receivers and it shows. Full stop.
View Quote

No it doesn't, but I have to say that I'm surprised Mega did nothing to help out the OP in the thread I posted. the point of my posts was that there's noting that makes Mega better then Aero, other then maybe aesthetics. so If the looks of the Mega are worth the extra $ to you, get the Mega. but anyone that says one is "better" then the other is just being bias.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So I was all set to buy the Aero, even had it in my cart from Schuyler. Then I checked the mail and saw a refund check from IRS from a claim I filed a year ago and forgot about.

View Quote
Yes. Yes it is.

If you can afford a Corvette, or Lamborghini, or Porsche 911, why would you settle on a mustang or Camaro?

If you can afford a new Chevy or Ford truck, why buy a 1992 Nissan?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#31]
That's the megalithic which I like but may not perform quite as well as the MML.

Reason being is that the removable handguard on the MML [and M5E1] let's me get to the barrel to receiver interface for bedding and if need be take to lathe to true the receiver face.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Everyone who is a fan and/or had great experiences always doubt naysayers but anyone who has been around long enough has seen lemons from everyone.

Reminds me of when I worked at a store that carried a lot of high end guns including 1911's. Someone would come in and say that Nighthawk was better than Wilson or are Brown was better than who ever. We saw lemons from all of them right out of the box which was always a little surprising because they seem to get handled a lot more before they ship out vs a production gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to miss construe what i said.  I did not say Mega hasn't made any mistakes, i am saying they are great to deal with.  After reading that thread It sounded like they offered to look at it with a couple of week turnaround.  It sounded like that OP of that thread was too impatient and did the modification himself.  I dealt with mega once and they were more than accommodating.  It took a few weeks since i shipped my upper to them but they fixed everything (Creedmoor barrel that I suspect was outsourced).

What do you expect Mega to do?  Sacrifice their first born?  Offering to look at it and two week turnaround is ok in my book.  Some people just create moutains out of mole hills.

OP, I can't speak for aero, i am sure they are good products, but i love my mega matens big time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Ha...fanboys r too much

Ok, lets hear how 500 difference is covered by mega?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's the megalithic which I like but may not perform quite as well as the MML.

Reason being is that the removable handguard on the MML [and M5E1] let's me get to the barrel to receiver interface for bedding and if need be take to lathe to true the receiver face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have 6 of the megalithic aR15s and all of them of are sub moa in either 6.8 or .223 wylde
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes. Yes it is.

If you can afford a Corvette, or Lamborghini, or Porsche 911, why would you settle on a mustang or Camaro?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Yes it is.

It's extremely easy to show the better performance in the vehicle examples you used. Is there a similar performance advantage with Mega that is easily seen and measured?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's extremely easy to show the better performance in the vehicle examples you used. Is there a similar performance advantage with Mega that is easily seen and measured?
View Quote
The only performance advantage I can see with the mega is more flexibility for mounting my tripod mount, which is actually a big deal for me. Ambi controls would be nice, but I care much more for right hand bolt hold open than right side bolt drop and the mega only has the drop.

I did call MEGA today for a few questions and did not get a good feeling from the rep. She did not seem to know any technical details nor was particularly polite. She just kept telling me they don't sell directly to customers, which was not what I was asking about at all.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The only performance advantage I can see with the mega is more flexibility for mounting my tripod mount, which is actually a big deal for me. Ambi controls would be nice, but I care much more for right hand bolt hold open than right side bolt drop and the mega only has the drop.

I did call MEGA today for a few questions and did not get a good feeling from the rep. She did not seem to know any technical details nor was particularly polite. She just kept telling me they don't sell directly to customers, which was not what I was asking about at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why emails are better. They usually get forwarded to someone who actually knows the answer
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes. Yes it is.

View Quote
In all fairness, I can afford a BMW, but drive a Toyota.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
With calipers and such, destructive testing and real world performance tests. But no, those are not easily seen nor measured.

It's the attention to detail. Blemish and out of spec to quality product ratios. Customer service, caring about their products, etc etc.

Mega is top notch in all aspects. Aero censors threads that do not give them good reviews here. Are unwilling to admit their product has design issues, or machining processes rather. A plethora of bullshit issues that have came about only because of the M5. Things I consider unacceptable from any company.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In all fairness, I can afford a BMW, but drive a Toyota.
View Quote
In all fairness, BMWs are extremely high maintenance.

So, to alter my comparison, if you're IN THE MARKET for a high performance vehicle, can afford the insurance and high maintenance involved, can afford IN ALL ASPECTS, any high performance vehicle you want, why get something cheap?

But, if you can afford a BMW but drive a Toyota, you should get an Armalite DEF10. Reliable, gets the job done, affordable, great track record, blah blah.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#41]
nvm...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Where are you finding the whole M5E1 set for $350?  That's a great deal.  I have both sets and both are great.  MEGA is sexier for sure, not sure how much value that has.  FWIW I paid about $670 for my MATEN set, so the gap doesn't have to be as big as you're looking at.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Where are you finding the whole M5E1 set for $350?  That's a great deal.  I have both sets and both are great.  MEGA is sexier for sure, not sure how much value that has.  FWIW I paid about $670 for my MATEN set, so the gap doesn't have to be as big as you're looking at.
View Quote
Schuyler has the M5 set right now for $230 Schuyler Arms M5 set and the M5E1 set for $350 Schuyler Arms M5E1 set, that's so low I picked up another set for a future 6.5CM build.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Spend the money on the Mega. I'm not a fan of the MML as the rail isn't my thing.

They ooze quality from the moment you open the box, I had to nearly pry the 2 receivers apart they fit together so tightly.

It shoots pretty good too, .92-.96 MOA 10 round groups is standard if I'm doing my part. I'll eventually upgrade from the Rainier (BHW) SS barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I own both. Mega is nicer, but absolutely not $500 nicer. Aero makes top quality stuff, some of the comparisons here are Audi vs Bentley would be a better metaphor for Aero vs Mega.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Can anyone measure the thickness of the rail? Specifically where the Mlok slots are? My M4E1 is a little too thick for some of my MLOK accessories and I'm wondering if that's the case for the M5E1 as well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Ended up going with Mega when rainier had them on sale. That with the addition of an apex membership, that price dropped by almost $200.

They came in today and while I'm not disappointed, I'm not blown away either. Anodize finish of the rail does not match the receivers. While that doesn't bug me at all knowning I'm going to beat it up and maybe rattle can it, it should be better for the price.

Fitment of the JP 6mm barrel was quite loose as well, I will definitely be bedding this barrel into the receiver.

The receivers are relatively tight. The back of the receivers are much tighter than the front. The gap between receivers is no less than anything else I have, but is more consistent.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They came in today and while I'm not disappointed, I'm not blown away either. Anodize finish of the rail does not match the receivers. While that doesn't bug me at all knowning I'm going to beat it up and maybe rattle can it, it should be better for the price.
View Quote
Anodizing is weird like that. You can dip all the parts in at the same time, they still have a decent chance of coming out different.

Now, I would agree they should've done a better job at color matching when they picked parts to match.

Can't comment on the loose barrel, the 3 uppers I've built we all super tight. 2 we Armalite barrels, 1 was some outfit I've never heard of and couldn't find online. But was tight and he reported good accuracy and operation.

I've only had the one set myself, but it was pretty snug.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ha...fanboys r too much

Ok, lets hear how 500 difference is covered by mega?
View Quote
$500 ain't the same amount of money to everybody
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top