Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2017 9:57:35 PM EDT
What is the best enhanced 7.62x39 firing pin. I shoot mainly Tula, Golden Tiger and Brown Bear and want 100% ignition.

I have a couple of 7.62x39 AR's I put together around 12 years ago. One bolt and firing pin came from a Colt Sporter that somebody parted out. I bought the other new, but don't remember who made it and I can't find any identifying markings on it. Both are running fine but I plan to get at least one spare extractor, firing pin, and bolt. I want my spares to be "bullet proof". I'm staying away from proprietary parts that wouldn't fit both my two current bolts and the new spare bolt.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Red X arms
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a complete upper from Sanders Armory a few months ago and in the first 80 rounds I had 10 light primer strikes.  I bought an enhanced firing pin from RedX and have had zero light strikes since.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Model 1 sales. Used them for years. No problems.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
RedX Arms
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one you make at home with a drill press and a file. 10 minute job.
View Quote
Please go on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Please go on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please go on.
Or spend $10 for the gold standard;
http://shop.redxarms.com/ENHANCED-FIRING-PIN-FOR-762-X-39-AND-545-X-39-BCGS-EFIRINGPIN.htm
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Right to Bear arms is GTG.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW I have four enhanced firing pins, one's an old Model 1 Sales, one's from an Alpha Shooting Sports bcg, one's from Palmetto State Armory and one is from Black Rifle Arms for a 5.45x39 build.

They all appear to be identical in appearance & dimensions, I can't say any of them are better or worse than the other. The BRA pin was marked for both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

There's probably more variation in protrusion between bolts than pins IMHO.

If the enhanced pin doesn't work 100% then I'd go with a stronger hammer spring like a Wolff. If that combo doesn't work you have crappy ammo.

If the heavy trigger pull of a std. Gi single stage FCG + extra power spring isn't doable try a two stage trigger, I'm running a RRA two stage + Wolff extra power spring on a lower for 5.45x39 & surplus 7.62x39.

HyperFire also has trigger with what I think is the highest ratio of trigger weight to hammer force, but it's not their cheapest one. I think it was about $250-$300 which is more than I want to put in a 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 build. last I looked a RRA 2 stage was $80 from Right To bear and $90 from Ar15 sales.com
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Saturday I function tested a Black Rifle Arms enhanced firing pin in a Ground Zero Precision 7.62x39 bolt. When dry fired, the pin wedged inside the bolt making retracting the bolt impossible. I had to remove the upper from the lower and use a prying tool to leverage back the carrier and free the bolt. I had bought 3 of these pins, and the other 2 seemed to work fine. I retested the first pin many times and it finally loosened up to where only moderate extra force on the charging handle was needed. I won't be using that particular pin in this bolt. Likely a case of pin at max side of tolerances lengthwise and bolt bore on minimum side of tolerances lengthwise. The GZP bolt also function tested fine with a milspec pin.

I've ordered two each Model 1 sales and RedX pins to test based on recommendations in this thread, but have not yet received them. If any other pin is problematic in the GZP bolt then I'll drop the GZP bolt and try a Young.

I probably won't get to the range for a live fire test until at least Wednesday.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I just finished a build and I'm having problems with steel case ammo not firing.

- APOC Armory bolt carrier group with enhanced firing pin.
- ALG Defense ACT trigger

I replaced the hammer spring with an extra power Wolf hammer spring hoping that would solve it, but I get the same results - dented primers.

Should I try another brand of firing pin?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:36:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just finished a build and I'm having problems with steel case ammo not firing.

- APOC Armory bolt carrier group with enhanced firing pin.
- ALG Defense ACT trigger

I replaced the hammer spring with an extra power Wolf hammer spring hoping that would solve it, but I get the same results - dented primers.

Should I try another brand of firing pin?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd lay that enhanced firing pin next to a std. pin just to verify, the difference is obvious at the tip but both will have the same overall length.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Or spend $10 for the gold standard;
http://shop.redxarms.com/ENHANCED-FIRING-PIN-FOR-762-X-39-AND-545-X-39-BCGS-EFIRINGPIN.htm
View Quote
This...cheap, bought one, dropped it in and done. easy peasy

That and a wolf heavy spring and you're all set.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The bolts and firing pins Colt put in their old 7.62x39 Sporters must be the gold standard. I got this bolt and pin, together with 2 Colt 7.62x39 Sporter barrels here on EE about 12 years ago. I have migrated it through several uppers in that time. It is currently in a 10.5” pistol upper. All lowers always had 2 stage Geissele triggers with standard (not extra heavy) springs. Never ever a misfire.

My second 7.62x39 bolt was a “special” MGI bolt and pin. The pin is longer and has a larger diameter. I have seldom shot it. Maybe 200 rounds in the last few years. In that time, I had 2 or 3 misfires. I only run Geissele 2 stage triggers with std springs. Since the pin nose is larger diameter than std, it probably needs more force for a given amount of primer penetration. So, if you’re willing to run extra strength hammer springs, this set up would probably be 100% reliable.

Since I’m not willing to run a heavy spring, I got the GZP bolt and BRA pin. Took it out today and ran through about 200 rounds of Golden Tiger. I had 6 misfires. Two of the six fired on the second attempt. The other four did not fire on the second attempt. So, I got out my pistol with my “old faithful” Colt bolt and pin and re-tried those 4 rounds. All 4 fired on the first attempt in the pistol.

The M1S pins I ordered arrived today. I’m still waiting on the RedX pins. I’m hoping one of these two will prove 100% reliable in the GZP bolt. If not, I’ll get a Young bolt and try the BRA, M1S, and RedX again in it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This... really it's so easy
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Please go on.
View Quote

It takes exactly 5 minutes to modify a bolt to have proper firing pin protrusion for 7.62x39.  No additional parts are needed.  Since people are so fucking worried about bolt breakage anyway, why not just take a little off the back and be done with it?  It is not hard to do.  

I have never had a fail to ignite with Wolf.  I am currently burning up 1K of cheap Russian training ammo with no issues. Stock hammer spring.  Stock hammer.  Stock firing pin. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It takes exactly 5 minutes to modify a bolt to have proper firing pin protrusion for 7.62x39.  No additional parts are needed.  Since people are so fucking worried about bolt breakage anyway, why not just take a little off the back and be done with it?  It is not hard to do.  

I have never had a fail to ignite with Wolf.  I am currently burning up 1K of cheap Russian training ammo with no issues. Stock hammer spring.  Stock hammer.  Stock firing pin. 
View Quote
Correct
However a firing pin is cheaper if you mess up

An AK type rifle has a firing pin protrusion of approximately .061”- .069”
An standard AR pin is has a firing pin protrusion of approximately .032”- .050”
So you can trim a little using a drill and a file

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#21]
For literally $15 total you can get a firing pin and heavy spring and take 10 minutes to swap them out. Done and done plus no grinding whatsoever. Then you have spares just in case. Win win.

There is also absolutely nothing wrong with grinding either. Just a different way of doing things but the other way isn't like its way overboard as well.

Plus my grinding skills suck...
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd lay that enhanced firing pin next to a std. pin just to verify, the difference is obvious at the tip but both will have the same overall length.
View Quote
Thanks. I'll do that tomorrow.

Since I've never had an "enhanced" pin and have never closely studied the tip of a standard AR firing pin (didn't know there would be a quiz!), I wouldn't know what either one should look like, but if the difference is obvious, THAT I should be able to see.

In the mean time, I sent APOC Armory an email explaining my issue and asked if they'd like to send another pin that I could exchange for the one I have.
I figured I'd try the direct approach with the manufacturer before spending more money for another brand of pin.

Oooh! A few more posts and I can post a photo of the firing pin for the experts to review!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll do that tomorrow.

Since I've never had an "enhanced" pin and have never closely studied the tip of a standard AR firing pin (didn't know there would be a quiz!), I wouldn't know what either one should look like, but if the difference is obvious, THAT I should be able to see.

In the mean time, I sent APOC Armory an email explaining my issue and asked if they'd like to send another pin that I could exchange for the one I have.
I figured I'd try the direct approach with the manufacturer before spending more money for another brand of pin.

Oooh! A few more posts and I can post a photo of the firing pin for the experts to review!
View Quote
APOC Armory promptly replied and said that I may have gotten an early BCG before they switched to the enhanced firing pin.
They are sending a new pin for me to try.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Saturday I function tested a Black Rifle Arms enhanced firing pin in a Ground Zero Precision 7.62x39 bolt. When dry fired, the pin wedged inside the bolt making retracting the bolt impossible. I had to remove the upper from the lower and use a prying tool to leverage back the carrier and free the bolt. I had bought 3 of these pins, and the other 2 seemed to work fine. I retested the first pin many times and it finally loosened up to where only moderate extra force on the charging handle was needed. I won't be using that particular pin in this bolt. Likely a case of pin at max side of tolerances lengthwise and bolt bore on minimum side of tolerances lengthwise. The GZP bolt also function tested fine with a milspec pin.

I've ordered two each Model 1 sales and RedX pins to test based on recommendations in this thread, but have not yet received them. If any other pin is problematic in the GZP bolt then I'll drop the GZP bolt and try a Young.

I probably won't get to the range for a live fire test until at least Wednesday.
View Quote
How can a firing pin possibly bind up a bolt assembly within the carrier or barrel extension? It seems that what you described would have to do with a bolt's tolerance as it relates to the bolt carrier, barrel extension, and/or both. That would cause the binding that you described. The only other possibility is a cam pin that is out of spec and it sits out of alignment when the firing pin goes through it it causes it to bind in the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How can a firing pin possibly bind up a bolt assembly within the carrier or barrel extension? It seems that what you described would have to do with a bolt's tolerance as it relates to the bolt carrier, barrel extension, and/or both. That would cause the binding that you described. The only other possibility is a cam pin that is out of spec and it sits out of alignment when the firing pin goes through it it causes it to bind in the upper receiver.
View Quote
One of the firing pin shoulders comes too far forward and jams in the next smaller bore in the bolt when driven forward by the hammer. As the carrier is drawn backwards it retracts the firing pin with the cotter pin before the bolt has rotated to unlock. If the firing pin is jammed in the bolt, the carrier cannot retract and the bolt cannot rotate to unlock. Pulling on the charging handle, you cannot generate enough force to free the pin. A prying tool placed between the bolt and carrier is needed to generate enough leverage to free the pin.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#26]
RedX all the way, and it's free shipping. I had horrible ignition on my Radical Firearms 7.62x39. Swapped the FP and viola! I am igniting 100%, even ammo that I saved for my SKS that wouldn't ignite before! The redx FP is a tad longer on the FP protrusion, and a tad thicker as well. Best $10.00 I have spent yet!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I currently am still running the GZP bolt. Now with a RedX firing Pin. The best so far, but still 1 misfire every 100 rounds +/-. Also, while the GZP bolt and extractor appear to be well made, the extractor pin was very soft and failed in plastic yield after about 60 rounds. The pin yeilded outboard far enough to completely unload the spring pressure. I could easily wiggle the end of the extractor with my finger.

I'm willing to say that the bolt, and not the RedX pin, is probably what is causing insufficient firing pin protrusion. I ordered a Young bolt last Thursday and have been tracking it. It should arrive today. I will try it with the RedX pin to see if this the "THE" combination for 100% ignition.

I really wiish I could find a few more of those old Colt 7.62x39 Sporter bolts somewhere. That bolt and pin never fails to ignite a hard, deep seated primer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The bolts and firing pins Colt put in their old 7.62x39 Sporters must be the gold standard. I got this bolt and pin, together with 2 Colt 7.62x39 Sporter barrels here on EE about 12 years ago. I have migrated it through several uppers in that time. It is currently in a 10.5” pistol upper. All lowers always had 2 stage Geissele triggers with standard (not extra heavy) springs. Never ever a misfire.

My second 7.62x39 bolt was a “special” MGI bolt and pin. The pin is longer and has a larger diameter. I have seldom shot it. Maybe 200 rounds in the last few years. In that time, I had 2 or 3 misfires. I only run Geissele 2 stage triggers with std springs. Since the pin nose is larger diameter than std, it probably needs more force for a given amount of primer penetration. So, if you’re willing to run extra strength hammer springs, this set up would probably be 100% reliable.

Since I’m not willing to run a heavy spring, I got the GZP bolt and BRA pin. Took it out today and ran through about 200 rounds of Golden Tiger. I had 6 misfires. Two of the six fired on the second attempt. The other four did not fire on the second attempt. So, I got out my pistol with my “old faithful” Colt bolt and pin and re-tried those 4 rounds. All 4 fired on the first attempt in the pistol.

The M1S pins I ordered arrived today. I’m still waiting on the RedX pins. I’m hoping one of these two will prove 100% reliable in the GZP bolt. If not, I’ll get a Young bolt and try the BRA, M1S, and RedX again in it.
View Quote
G triggers hit harder than stock springs.  Ammo that take wolff xp springs to ignite regularly lights up just fine when used with a G trigger.  I added a wolff XP spring to one of my MBT's for 7.62x39/5.45x39 compatibility.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
No. I've measured multiple RedX firing pins with my calipers and they are right at .010 longer than standard pins.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I currently am still running the GZP bolt. Now with a RedX firing Pin. The best so far, but still 1 misfire every 100 rounds +/-. Also, while the GZP bolt and extractor appear to be well made, the extractor pin was very soft and failed in plastic yield after about 60 rounds. The pin yeilded outboard far enough to completely unload the spring pressure. I could easily wiggle the end of the extractor with my finger.

I'm willing to say that the bolt, and not the RedX pin, is probably what is causing insufficient firing pin protrusion. I ordered a Young bolt last Thursday and have been tracking it. It should arrive today. I will try it with the RedX pin to see if this the "THE" combination for 100% ignition.

I really wiish I could find a few more of those old Colt 7.62x39 Sporter bolts somewhere. That bolt and pin never fails to ignite a hard, deep seated primer.
View Quote
It wouldn't surprise me if the Colt bolt has the tail shortened about 10 thousandths.  That is another common way to ensure proper protrusion.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Colt bolt has the tail shortened about 10 thousandths.  That is another common way to ensure proper protrusion.
View Quote

Nope.  I had to modify my Colt bolt.  I measured the pin protrusion on my SKS and then replicated it with my Colt bolt and firing pin.  I lapped the rear on coarse diamond stone.  Ten minutes.  No money.  No ordering.  No waiting.  There probably weren't any special pins on the market back when I did it.  

As far as screwing up a bolt, if you are able to do that for this simple operation, you obviously are not a bowler.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#32]
UPDATE:

The replacement APOC Armory firing pin worked just fine today shooting Tulammo.

I would have posted pics of the firing pins earlier but I'm one of the victims of Photobucket's $400 ransom to allow my images to be viewed on forums again and they can blow me.

Seeking an alternative image hosting site. If I find one I'll post the images of the firing pins, but honestly there isn't anything all that "obvious" between any of them as was mentioned by someone else.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#33]
For something like a $23 donation for an arfcom membership you can post pics easily.

Is the fp shoulder different or the overall pin length or the tip different?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For something like a $23 donation for an arfcom membership you can post pics easily.

Is the fp shoulder different or the overall pin length or the tip different?
View Quote
Damned if I know - they look nearly identical.

The shoulder MAY be just a hair different, but it's hard to line them up to where you can see it clearly enough to be 100% certain.
The overall length APPEARS the same and the tip looks the same for the most part. The rounded tip looks the same, but the "taper cut" is slightly different, and I can't see how that would be a factor at all.
I have no tools for measuring such precise dimensions.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Here are pics of my APOC Armory firing pins along with a standard PSA 5.56 firing pin for comparison.

The closest one is the new/replacement they sent me. The center is the one that came in the BCG that did not work. The back (dirty) pin is a 5.56 FP.

L to R  5.56 FP - APOC Armory "bad" FP - APOC Armory "good" FP

I'm just not seeing anything with the naked eye that jumps out as being "different".

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is a standard pin next to a redx 7.62x39 pin.  It's only .010 longer, visible but unless you know what your looking at, you might miss it.  The difference primarily shows up at the tip where the turned down portion is slightly longer allowing for the extra protrusion.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, I'm the OP and it wasn't the bolt, firing pin, barrel, or anything else in the upper.

It was the Geissele SSA-E trigger. Something about it was slowly failing but it still felt OK. Then the second stage got gritty. After more shooting, the trigger turned into a long, mushy single stage trigger. When it happened it did not occur to me that the malfunctioning trigger and the misfires were connected. But I went home and swapped out the trigger for another Geissele SSA. I did not consider that this had fixed the failures to fire. But today I went out to try it with other ammo types. After getting no misfires with other brands of steel case, I tried the Golden Tiger again. I burned through 80 rounds with no failures.

I have many Geissele 2 stage triggers and still consider them the best 2 stage arround. Anybody can have one lemon out of the thousands they make.

When this begain, I went through every combination of 3 different bolts and three different brands of enhanced pins.

When I went out today, I had the GZP bolt and RedX pin in it. With the trigger situation fixed, probably any of the bolt/pin combinations would have worked.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I would contact Geisselle if you suspect the trigger group.
I bet they can help you figure it out or replace it.
They are one of the few mfr's that have actually responded to my emails.
Let us know

Edit; I have Geisselle trigger groups(SSA & S3G) in both of my 7.62x39 builds with around 2K rounds steel cased ammo through each build and no failures using RedX Arms
Extended firing pins.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#39]
IME, Geissele triggers usually ignite 7.62/5.45/golden tiger .223 great as long as an extended firing pin is used.

Stock triggers and Larue MBT's need a Wolff XP spring added.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would contact Geisselle if you suspect the trigger group.
I bet they can help you figure it out or replace it.
They are one of the few mfr's that have actually responded to my emails.
Let us know

Edit; I have Geisselle trigger groups(SSA & S3G) in both of my 7.62x39 builds with around 2K rounds through each build and no failures using RedX Arms
Extended firing pins.
View Quote
I contacted Geissele when the second stage disappeared about 10 days ago. They had me send it in and said they would let me know what they found out once they had the chance to examine it. I have no doubt that Geissele will take care of it.

Today was the first time I fired the gun since I swapped out the trigger. When the trigger failed, I didn't connect it with the misfires until today.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
IME, Geissele triggers usually ignite 7.62/5.45/golden tiger .223 great as long as an extended firing pin is used.

Stock triggers and Larue MBT's need a Wolff XP spring added.
View Quote
I added a wolf XP spring to my Geissle G2S for 7n6. After a few hundred rounds with a 762 FP it would still get some light strikes.  Quick swap to the XP and they go bang at a much higher rate now.  So I'd say if anyone is having light strikes try out an XP hammer spring, might help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Just bought the Red X firing pin, hope it takes care of my problems with Golden Tiger - was having light primer strikes on every round but they would go off no problem the second time around
I was using the PSA KS47 bcg as it came from them
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#43]
The Black Rifle pin has solved all of my Wolf FTF problems.  It extends proud of my bolt face by .042", which is within AR specs, and it dimples the primers nicely for me on Wolf and Hornady rounds.

The problem with the filing solution is that there are two additional shoulders on the pin as it tapers to the point which can also limit the pin travel, depending on how a particular bolt was machined.  These shoulders can be slowly taken down by spinning the pin in a screw gun and using a points file to reduce them but I finally said the hell with this and bought an enhanced pin and it was done deal right then (DDRT).
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top