Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2017 6:32:05 AM EDT
So this started out as a budget grendel build since I already had a stripped upper. Started with an Anderson M4 barrel that was defective and had to go back with a bad chamber. So I picked up a Classic Arms 18" barrel that was on sale at about $140 delivered. A little over a week later it was on sale even more for about $22 cheaper....

But here she is..
Classic Arms Heavy fluted barrel
PSA stripped upper
Anderson for the small parts
PSA carrier
Bear Creek Grendel bolt...
Monustrum Rail....
2-10x36 Weaver Super Slam..
UTG Rings

Still have to lock down the flash hider. Bought some AR Stoner mags. Tested it with the M4 barrel and my son's standard lower, no issues other than the barrel. Tested the classic barrel, same mag but used my lower and the bolt was over riding the rounds on the right side of the mag. Had to put a little upward pressure on the mag to prevent that malfunction. I'll try a different lower next time.

Looking good though. 129 Gr Hornady SPs over 28.5 gr RL15...

Winning. Now I need to find more grendel brass.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
delete
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics added..
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
It's really hard to stay in budget.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
This is the best price I've found on Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0015386283b100/6half-grendel-unprimed-rifle-brass-100-count

I also bought some Hornady Black 123 grain ELD M ammo at a LGS for less than $18 for 20.  The ELD M is very good ammo and at that price I can buy loaded ammo and save the brass to use for reloading cheaper than buying new brass  for my reloads.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Now they are like $95...

How do you like your barrel though?  I am seriously considering the fluted 18" nitrided one.

They have had pretty good reviews trickling in after their big sale they had awhile ago.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I have 2 Aero Lightweight Scope Mounts and can't imagine using anything else.  I use the Standard on my 1-4x24 SWFA, and the Extended for my 3-9x40 VXR Patrol.  For that scope, I'd recommend the Extended or SPR for ideal placement.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have 2 Aero Lightweight Scope Mounts and can't imagine using anything else.  I use the Standard on my 1-4x24 SWFA, and the Extended for my 3-9x40 VXR Patrol.  For that scope, I'd recommend the Extended or SPR for ideal placement.
View Quote
Scope placement is up to the user, I don't see how you can recommend where another guys ideal placement would be.

If his scope is proper for him where it is, then switching to a mount would be pointless. My oculars usually end up over or just behind the charging handle but different scopes and users mean different placement.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Scope placement is up to the user, I don't see how you can recommend where another guys ideal placement would be.

If his scope is proper for him where it is, then switching to a mount would be pointless. My oculars usually end up over or just behind the charging handle but different scopes and users mean different placement.
View Quote
I highly doubt where he has it now is ideal.  The rings he is using don't let him move the scope any more forward so he is pretty much stuck whether he likes it or not unless he gets a proper mount
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I highly doubt where he has it now is ideal.  The rings he is using don't let him move the scope any more forward so he is pretty much stuck whether he likes it or not unless he gets a proper mount
View Quote
I agree

I really like the LARUE SPR-E

move the scope forward enough for me to get a proper cheekweld NTCH

screw it, OP, you're already over budget

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Barrel is nice. You can see the group on the first run with it.

Scope placement depends on eye relief of the scope and the user. This Grendel will probably sport an a2 stock mostly so the scope is probably about right.

Thanks for the tip on the brass.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought 2 the other day, talk about a great mount for a screaming deal price. Normally I use Larue's.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a aero lightweight and in my opinion its a really nice mount.  My primary goal was weight savings so the aero precision is the way to go unless your going to spend big money 3 oz is really light.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a aero lightweight and in my opinion its a really nice mount.  My primary goal was weight savings so the aero precision is the way to go unless your going to spend big money 3 oz is really light.
View Quote
I'll add to the Aero lovefest, I have the extended for my 1-4x, great little mount and only $65.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
If you need more 6.5 grendel brass, look at brownells for when they have a sale on Lapua brass. I know it is a bit more up front, but in the long run it is cheaper. I dont remember how many full power loads you can get from the hornady brass, but you can easily get 20+ loadings from the Lapua brass. Several people have gotten over 25 loadings from the same brass.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Dang it, you guys know how to keep my wallet empty  

That is a good price, just picked up an SPR
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top