Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2017 6:57:54 PM EDT
Ok I have finally decided I want to go with .458!

I have assembled multiple .223 and .300's and I just want to go .458 for the uniqueness and cool factor. I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction here.

Who sells the best big bore upper?

Who has the best barrels? Tromix?

Bolt carrier is the same but I just need a new bolt correct?

Thanks in advance!

**** update below****

I am using an AP forged lower, JMT drop in trigger, Bad td pins and an Ace m4 stock for the lower. Hope the stock hold up!

I have ordered the Tromix upper receiver, 16" lightweight barrel and bolt. I am thinking of using the AP quantum handguard and it should be good to go.

What optic should I run? 200-400 dollar range... Red dot and then add flip magnifier? Or maybe a strike eagle if it will take the recoil?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Tromix is the best, SBR,  rra,  and the barrel brownelles sells are made with a true spec reamer.  Full uppers you can't go wrong with tromix.  

Cmmg is a bastard child using parts Not truly  from ar15 or ar10.  Uppers and lowers are proprietary and they do not use the authorized true to spec reamer.  They claim to be able to push the pressures a bit.  To me not necessary

Get onto the 458socomforums.com.   tons of great info and help.  Also go carbine length gas.  But if you buy Tromix they will not lead you astray.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Hands down....get a Tromix barrel and bolt.

I would also suggest Lancer mags modified for the 458.

** As mentioned, got over to 458 SOCOM forum
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the Lancer mags.  However they function great withiut mods.  If yoy live in a state that prohibits 39rd mags then absolutely get the mods.  The onky thing I did with my lancers is grind a half moon on the front to allow for heavy large meplat bullets to feed easier.  It also makes it a bit easier to unload.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Of those using the correct spec chambering reamer, Rock River Arms, TROMIX, SBR, SSK, and the unit sold by Brownells (Saturn?), TROMIX has the best prices, best customer service, by far the fastest shipping, and quality as high or better than any of them.  Don't forget, Tony Rumore of TROMIX is the guy who worked with the originator of the cartridge, Marty ter Weeme of Teppo Jutsu, to make everything work perfectly in the AR-15.

In addition to the barrel and bolt, you will need the ejection port enlarged.  You can buy a standard M4 type upper from TROMIX already modified CORRECTLY, get one that already has an enlarged ejection port, check  with maker, or get Thomas Pola of Paladine Machine Shop Service to enlarge the port on any upper you choose to use.  The dust cover will still close too if the enlargement is done correctly.  Thomas can be reached via email, no web site, at tp555(at)windstream.net.
While there, he can also true up the front of your receiver.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Great info here guys...

I think I will buy the upper receiver from Tromix, along with bolt and barrel....

The Lancer mags seem like the right ticket!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, if I order the barrel, upper and bolt from Tromix do I really need to blend the ramp? That makes me a touch nervous....
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You can usually get by without blending, I fired several thousand rounds out of mine before finally doing it. As the others have said Tromix.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
If you shoot JHP or spitzers, blending really is a non issue.  The only time I have "needed" to do it is when shooting wide meplat cast bullets.  IF you find you need to blend, don't over think it.  If you can safely brush your teeth without injury you can blend.  I use a 3/8 sanding drum on a Dremel and just remove the shelf until I just barely touch the feed ramp, then switch to a bullet tip polishing point and smooth things up.  Done.  The only thing you really have to take a lot of care with is cleaning up all the aluminum dust.  Blast it out with break cleaner and I like to tape things off and plug up the chamber with patches first before I start sanding, then clean up and re oil.  It takes only a minute or two to blend so don't fret it and make more of it than it is.  More than likely you won't need to blend it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with radical firearms upper and am totally happy with it, except for it kicking like a mule.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Updated 6/6/2017 if anyone cares!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like your on to a great start.  Your stock will be fine.  The only problems that have been experienced with stocks are with adjustable stocks with tapered locking pin.  I used a CTR on my first 458 build and had zero problems.  Your scope selection looks good with the strike eagle.  Vortex is good quality and their warranty is great.  The 458 is not a horrible scope killer or recoil monster.  Most quality scopes will be fine.  I had a problem with a red dot but moved it to another rifle and it is fine.  It may have been slightly loose or I may have had a bad day.  

You are going to love the thump.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top