Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 10:58:02 AM EDT
Hey All,

If I have an extractor that is tight and really biting into brass cases and sometimes causing an FTE/FTF, Will this wear-in after a few hundred rounds?  Should I disassemble it and polish it?  Do people shoot steel case ammo to help wear it in?

I shot IMI and MEN ball ammo and each varied and had the same behavior.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
properly made parts shouldnt really require a break in, as such i dont shoot steel to break in new parts.

so you are saying it has too much pressure on the claw end and isnt seating over the rim? if thats right, does it have an o-ring along with the extractor springs? maybe take the o-ring out, if that is the case.

or is the extractor claw actually made properly and fully able to fit over a rim?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
properly made parts shouldnt really require a break in, as such i dont shoot steel to break in new parts.

so you are saying it has too much pressure on the claw end and isnt seating over the rim? if thats right, does it have an o-ring along with the extractor springs? maybe take the o-ring out, if that is the case.

or is the extractor claw actually made properly and fully able to fit over a rim?
View Quote
It does seat.  When I have a cartridge in the chamber and I fire, sometimes on the backstroke the extractor is still gripped/biting into the case+rim and the ejector doesn't kick it all the way out, and then the BCG gets stuck going back into battery since I have an angled stovepipe sticking out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]
308 extractors commonly come with double o-rings. Take one out, and give it a try. I've also heard that DPMS Gen II extractors work great (and what I'll be using). They are drop in for any gen DPMS pattern bolt, have a redesigned claw angle, and do not use springs at all (uses elastomer bushing). They're not cheap, but have a fantastic rep for working well. Brownell's has them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It does seat.  When I have a cartridge in the chamber and I fire, sometimes on the backstroke the extractor is still gripped/biting into the case+rim and the ejector doesn't kick it all the way out, and then the BCG gets stuck going back into battery since I have an angled stovepipe sticking out.
View Quote
maybe a weak ejector spring then? kind of a pain to change but if you have a vise and small punch you can do it.

i've had a couple bad ejectors springs over the years, even on new bolts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
308 extractors commonly come with double o-rings. Take one out, and give it a try. I've also heard that DPMS Gen II extractors work great (and what I'll be using). They are drop in for any gen DPMS pattern bolt, have a redesigned claw angle, and do not use springs at all (uses elastomer bushing). They're not cheap, but have a fantastic rep for working well. Brownell's has them.
View Quote
I went down this route.  I did indeed have two o-rings but took one out.  It feels better when testing the ejector outside the gun,  hopefully i have another range day this weekend.

I'm other news, holy carbon buildup Batman.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top