Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2017 11:12:20 AM EDT
For my needs I've vaguely decided on a rifle configuration.  Example, autoloader, 308, 18-20 inch barrel, etc.

I have also decided to buy the complete rifle from one of the trusted manufacturers.  You know, LaRue, GA Precision, KAC, PWS, etc.  They all make a fine rifle that function like an AR10 should.  Accuracy in my hands will be a about the same.

I will be shooting this suppressed a great majority of the time.  I haven't read if one of those rifles has an edge in suppression?  I don't care if its a decibel or so quieter.  I'm talking about reliability and longevity (within reason), POI shift inherently related to the rifle (barrel) with a can hanging of it.  Some guns when you put a suppressor on them can beat themselves up.  I have solid faith the KAC will do fine (I've owned a couple of their 556 offerings) but I don't know if I want to spend that much.

Then again, buy once cry once.

I doubt there will be much of a difference, but I have been wrong in the past.  So my wife tells me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting on the suppressor and accuracy approach.  I'm no expert but have begun to experiment with a chassis equipped bolt rifle and reloading for long range precision.  In all my research one thing I continue to see more and more...suppressor use.  Again...no expert or much personal experience with my suppressor on my precision rifle, but I'm going to be using it on mine to see how things go.  I think you usually mitigate some recoil with a suppressor.  The reduced blast/noise may also tend to improve accuracy...less anticipation, etc.  There is also an argument that a suppressor can boost velocity a tiny bit.  Perhaps all these issues contribute to suppressor use as it relates to the accuracy quotient.  I can't see why the same elements wouldn't contribute in a similar way on our semiautos.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Owning and selling all the guns mentioned above and almost all the suppressors ever put out by major companies I have to say. My bringback MK11 Mod 0 is the nicest fit and function gun out of all of them.
To do it all over again on a commercial level I would do an SR25 with either a KAC suppressor or a Dead Air Armament Sandman L/Rugged Surge. Both are extremely well made QD cans that hold fantastic DB reduction.
POI shift is going to be relative to each gun and can but should not exceed a 6" shift at 100 yards. If I remember right my MK11 has about a 2.5". The main thing is to make sure the POI is repeatable so you can adjust when the can is off/on with ease.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Saker in 762 and I really don't want more cans, unless the HPA goes through.  I will be using the Dead Air mount system.  

Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Suppressors make guns run dirtier.  Some guns will beat themselves up with a can on because of the backpressure and extra gas.   An adjustable gas blocks fixes this, but the gun will still run dirtier.  I'm talkin gas guns like ARs here.

Piston guns should run no dirtier with a can, but will be run harder unless the platform has adjustable gas.

As far as accuracy, yes theres some stuff there.

Heavy barrel rifles might gain harmonic benefit from a silencer, but might not.  I have heard of precision rifle shooters using accurate style direct attachment cans because they strip the gasses off evenly and area EASIER to shoot accurately.  I know nothing of the gasses, but my harvester makes my RPR much more fun to shoot.

Skinney barrels in my experience gain accuracy from the weight of a can controlling barrel whip.
My JP18" A2 profile is a sub MOA - 1.5MOA barrel with the can on and scope.  Its still 2MOA without the can and with a red dot.   YHM ULT causes the POI to shift 6" down and 1" left.
My 6.8  (near pencil profile) is definitely a Sub MOA - 1.75 MOA rifle with the ULT.  I have done little testing of it without the can, but got some 3" groups without the can with Hornady ammo during break in.  I have not grouped that ammo with the can yet.
My 18" 308 Faxon 2A Pencil ish (medium taper, but trust me its thin) profile is a 1 -2 MOA with good ammo with my Harvester, but the same ammo will be 3 MOA bare muzzle.  POI shift is 4" down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you.  I'm leaning towards a PWS in 308.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a MK220 Mod-1 (PWS) that I shoot suppressed with a SiCo Saker 7.62. Awesome gun, great performance suppressed, cleans up easily. Very happy.

That said, if I were to buy today, I'd look very carefully at the new POF Revolution.  7.62 in a 223 footprint.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]
For sure something with an adjustable gas block.
I've had good luck so far with a Larue. It only has 2 settings but seems to work well.
JP would also be high on the list, they all come with adjustable blocks.
PWS is another great option. I had good luck with one of their 10.5's.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the adjustable gas block.  My GAP 10 is several years old and has old tech, a Noveske Switchblock, as adjustable gas blocks weren't really out commercially when I had it built.

As GAP is a custom shop, they asked that I send my suppressor, and they drilled the switchblock to match my rifle/suppressor pair, so blowback is very minimal.  This was part of the build, not an extra charge.  I don't know if your other options will offer this service.

BTW, I would (and did) go with 18".  18 plus the can is long, the extra 2 inches would be even longer.  Of course, we're talking about a 12+ pound rifle, so it's not like it is easy to maneuver anyway.

If I had it all to do over again, I would look hard at a 260 or 6.5 C over a 308.  I mainly went with 308 because I already had 10k rounds of it in the bunker.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd say the adjustable gas block would be crucial, 308 AR's are already more picky than their smaller brother.

With that said I have a Mega MAten build and a SiCo Hybrid that gets a lot of use. I went with the adjustable gas and I'm glad I did; the gun runs harder and the brass will get more tore up if I don't adjust the gas. POI change isn't bad at all, maybe .2 mil at 100. It's an 18" BA barrel I bought off the EE. It's a good shooter, usually turns in 10 round groups between .92 and .96 MOA. Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top